The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My first Game Design Document

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
As said, I have been working on my first game design document for the past 6 months for a game I wanted to make over a year ago.  I took a basic game design class over the summer and that prompted me to make a real GDD.

The game I'm working on is a simulation game with a fighting tank rather than a plane.  Since there aren't many tank games that I can find these days, I didn't have something to base it off of.  So I was loosely basing my game off of the Ace Combat series (my most favorate games), but all about tanks.

At the moment, I'm at 17 pages, primarily research, and I heard a typical GDD is well over a hundred.

Has anyone else tried something like this before?  I could go with some tips over anything I have writer's block.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Update:  I'm now at 27 pages, and most of it is still on research on vehicles and campaign missions for the game.  I have a draft on the story plot, so I'll have that on the next update.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
UPDATE:  40+ pages & counting.  Finding out one new thing after another.  I'm also making plans of a WW2 version and a more futuristic version.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I would love to read the document at some point. Basically for pure interest, but I could also provide some critique, and possibly some ideas if you are open to them.

I love tanks.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'll probably let others read it when I get to 100 pages.  It's clearly a compilation of info and ideas, and I need to refine it to a more believable draft so others will know what I'm visioning.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
UPDATE:  It's been taking me forever to get to work on it, so I haven't even gotten to 50 pages yet.  I'll have to make a time schedule to be able to get back to working on it...

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
UPDATE:  I'm back to work on it, mostly refining what I've got already.  Also, I'm starting on my WW2 sequel, with some twists.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
UPDATE:  I'm now at 84 pages with the 1st GDD, and I'm at around 50 pages with the sequel.  I had a few months of writer's block and constantly reworking the project.