The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

theme song for lbt tv show

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd be happiest if they kept to the style of music normally used in the series, with the exception of the opening song.

For example, I'm perfectly content with an upbeat melody opening each episode, similar to how "Peaceful Valley" did in LBT 2.  The difference being, LBT 2 also consisted of a lengthy instrumental opening prior to the first song.  I would not expect such an opening in a TV episode, as that sort of "epic instrumental" seems more in-place in a feature-length film as opposed to a weekly cartoon.

The music during the episodes could be very similar to the music used in the films.  The atmosphere is presented well in most cases, and the style is well suited, as even associated with, the LBT series.  I see no problem with including the "If We Hold On Together" themes in the music during the shows, as well as other James Horner and Michael Tavera themes.  If the team hires a new composer, I hope he or she continues with the basic principle of LBT-style music.  I'd hate to see the TV series drift too far from the films, and continuity of the music is one way to run the TV series in parallel with the films.

As for the end credits music, I think it could very from episode to episode if the developers wanted, however the most logical use of music for the end credits would be the classic choral/orchestral version of "If We Hold On Together" played at the end of LBT 4 and other LBT films.  If Universal wants to keep a consistant End Credits piece of music, this would be my first choice.  Of course there is also the option of changing the End Credits music for some episodes.  This music could depend on the atmosphere of the episode it is concluding (for example, the "epilogue" music in the final scene of LBT 5, going into the end credits, was very well-suited in my opinion).

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I'd imagine there will be some means of a remixed (or re-made) IWHOT as this as sorta bin dubbed as "the theme to LBT". But then again, with all the LBT sing-a-longs that have accompanied the follow-ups, I suppose any one of them could have the potential of becoming the LBT title music.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
they might make a song that will be able to listen to each time the show comes on a sound when on TV gets those wanting to watch it catching the tune in their ears and getting in front of the TV just as it starts :) it been done many times before to to have a theme that catchy and noticable.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That is why I'm thinking it will be a song similar in style to "Peaceful Valley".

It will probably be something with a light, upbeat, pure sound that people will quickly associate with the series.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
to shed some light on it I've asked in a email to Aria about it see if we could get a small idea what the theme will be for the start of the Land Before time Series.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Awesome :)  I'm very curious!

I wonder if such information has been decided yet?

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
no way to know till I hear from her and that could be some time

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I wonder if they already created the music at this early stage. Maybe, maybe not. Personally I'd prefer if they don't stray to far from the mood of the original music. A cheerful theme such as "Peaceful Valley" or "Adventuring" seems not unlikely for a TV series. More likely as solemn If we hold on together as an introduction melody.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Don't suppose anyone will know for sure until we witness it for ourselves. I wonder if Michael Tavera will take up the role as music maestro again as he did for the movies. It's interesting in that Tavera has actually used music he has composed for the LBT movies in other animations he's been involved in. For example, Tavera is the main musical composer for the Lilo and Stitch Series on Disney Channel and some of the music used in LBT can be heard in that. Also, the music he composes is also cross referenced in the later American Tale movies (3 and 4) but the linkage between these is a little more direct as Charles Grosvenor was also the director of those sequels as well as LBT 5-11 (and yet to be released ones too).

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's interesting in that Tavera has actually used music he has composed for the LBT movies in other animations he's been involved in. For example, Tavera is the main musical composer for the Lilo and Stitch Series on Disney Channel and some of the music used in LBT can be heard in that.
That's an interesting bit of trivia, LF1616 B) Almost makes me want to watch the Lilo and Stich series (unfortunately, I don't get the Disney Channel :()
More likely as solemn If we hold on together as an introduction melody.
I don't expect a cartoon geared towards children would use a slow rendition of "If We Hold On Together" for its opening theme.  I could definitely be wrong, but in my experience, few family-oriented or childrens' cartoons air with slow, melodic music.  Like I stated above, I don't want enough TV to say accurately.  I'm trying to think of an example right now, of a cartoon series with more sentimental song as its opening theme (that isn't Anime.  That's a different story :p):

Hmm...not much is coming to mind...
I'm not saying that the LBT series *can't*.  I'm just saying that it seems relatively unlikely for a childrens' TV series to have a solemn style of music opening their shows.  It would be an interesting approach for the producers to go with, though :yes
I would be much more expectant of a variation of "If We Hold On Together" to be used in the credits of the TV episodes.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Just my two cents, but I think it'd be better if they just did the opening orchestrated, with no words. It'd be a refreshing charge from having songs all the time at the opening of cartoons.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Apr 21 2006 on  02:57 AM
Just my two cents, but I think it'd be better if they just did the opening orchestrated, with no words. It'd be a refreshing charge from having songs all the time at the opening of cartoons.
Kinda like what was done for The Powerpuff Girls? :D

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't expect a cartoon geared towards children would use a slow rendition of "If We Hold On Together" for its opening theme.
I agree. Maybe my previous formulation was ambiguous. It is likely that there would be a cheerful melody at the beginning. Whether or not that is to be considered a good thing remains to be seen (if indeed such speculations should turn out to be true. Remember, all this is mere speculation at the moment). I suppose the melody would depend on the content of the series. They might not want to overdo it with a cheerful movie which would perhaps be not exciting enough.
I totally agree. Lyrics might give too much of a frame to the mood of the series (or at least the expectations).
Maybe they could come up with something like the intro melody of the animals of Farthing Wood which I consider a really beautiful combination of cheerful, dramatic, and solemn elements.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Exactly. This is playing devil's advocate, but if they were devoted enough to contact and pay him enough, I think that James Horner, who did the original film's music, could easily make a nice opening theme for the series.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
think that James Horner, who did the original film's music, could easily make a nice opening theme for the series.
That would be asking a lot, however Horner did return for a couple of the sequels, according to http://www.imdb.com
It isn't completely out of the question, and that probably would be the ideal situation.

I have no problems with Tavera continuing to score the LBT TV series, however.  

I think must agree with WR and Malte on this one; a purely instrumental piece of of music would be a very nice thing, as an opening theme.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That would be asking a lot, however Horner did return for a couple of the sequels, according to http://www.imdb.com
Careful; he was given credit in the sequels as there are always elements of the music he created for the first movie in the sequels. I don't think he ever created anything for the sequels in particular, but they couldn't possibly give Michael Tavera the sole credit even if he created variations based on If we hold on together.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I wasn't completely sure on that.  Thank you for the clarification, Malte :)

Oddly enough, Horner wasn't credited on the imdb for LBT 7, when elements of If We Hold On Together are clearly playing in the scene where the Gang is talking about how "those wingbrains hit that rock" (in a style similar to "Whispering Winds" from the original film).  I cannot recall whether Horner was creditted in the End Credits of LBT 7 or not.

I suppose that either the IMDB forgot to cover it, or there wasn't enough content in the film for it to be necessary.  I don't know :p

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I managed to transcribe what they are singing in the opening, to a reasonably accurate degree.  Here is, what I believe, they are singing in the opening...

All I see is the day in front of us   (repeat in echo)

Burning bright with a new-born sun    (repeat in echo)

Come follow me, oh     

Hills to climb and plains to roam

Streams to follow all the way home

To The Land Before Time

Before time

They are using an instrumental form for the ending credits.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I hate to tell you this, but the opening theme is already transcribed on wikiquote.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile