The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why did the T.V. series stop airing?

jonk012 · 38 · 9267

jonk012

• Ruby
    • View Profile
It had 26 episodes and then...that was it.

Was it always meant to be one season just to "revive" the interest in the franchise?

I hear alot of people on here say that the ratings show that it was a flop, but I disagree. Now the only source I have is from the LBT wikia and under the critical reception section of it every single episode i've seen recieved a 9 out of 10, a 8 out of 10, or a 10 out of 10 on tv.com. But then again, it was just like 3-5 reviews for all those episodes.

So could ya'll point me to websites that has way more reviews and an average rating of the show so I could get a better understanding on where the fanbase stands on the series?

Now I watch every episode 2-3 times good or bad. Just so I can go back and take in the background and rehear lines that I was too distracted to hear or missed.

But overall, i would agree with those reviews.  I would give the series a 8 out of 10.

Now it does have some problems but ya'll basically covered them already.

Like for example, the series has no overarching plot. Each episode is just random and you can watch them in any particular order.

Also, the most obvious one. The recycled melodies that they used in each episode.

Also, on wide shots the walks cycles for the last few episodes was like they were still in the their computer-generated stage. Like they didn't even bother to animate them. Hmm I wonder if that was a sign that the show was running out of budget. Did ya'll notice the walk cycles on wide shots? Or was that just me?

Sorry if ya'll already made a thread on the topic. I was just really curious.

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I really need to watch this series. I will try to find it somewhere.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Pretty much all of the TV series episodes can be found on this YouTube channel at the moment:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTXRaetwhoKvsh__pDQDLbA

As for why the series stopped airing, I think it is a mixture of the series primarily focusing on appealing to a younger audience and the series appearing after the films were past their zenith. I think a LBT series in the 1990s could have lasted several seasons, especially with the more limited options in terms of cartoon-based channels and the existence of Saturday Morning Cartoons on the three major stations in the US, but it probably lacked the viewership numbers to justify a continuation of the series when released in the late 2000s.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
If perhaps some good effort could be put into it and appeal more to adults and kids alike, it can garner some attention. With the aid of advertisement and merchandise. =3

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
I wonder how much continuity lockout might have played a role. If kid viewers just happened to be exposed to the Land Before Time through the TV series first, I wonder how lost they might be. There are callbacks to the movie series that the new audience mightn’t. Though Ruby and Chomper at times acted as the audience surrogates to explain these callbacks (which I think is a good idea), I’m not sure how effective the execution was.

I wouldn’t mind if the series had tacked to the tone and theme of The Sarah Jane Adventure. The Doctor Who spinoff was aimed at a young audience, but had genuine threat, great drama, and heartfelt character moments that sustained it among viewers until the lead actress’ death. I hearted that show and wouldn’t mind if other children’s television took a page out of their book.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It was horrible with horrible episodes horrible plots the songs where god awful. There was no effort put into this at all. Each episode problems could have been solved in five minutes but they dragged it out for a full 22 minutes. It was painful to watch and sit through that.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I have to agree.

For me, the whole show was made for youngest kids, it has nothing to do with original movie. It's the weakest part of LBT universe.

I liked only some of 26 episodes. And not because they were good but because they TRIED to be good and they HAD everything in it to become perfect small stories... But authors failed everything.
Wait. Silly me. Authors didn't fail anything if they did what they WANTED to do. Child show.

Sigh. I already said my position about TV series in some different topic here.

I don't want to see second season if they don't change anything.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I mean a couple episodes trired very hard they did but not hard enough in my opinion. The only song that was ACTUALLY good was remembering sung by Ruby that's it. And I know it was geared towards 5-12 years olds but they could of done much better than they did.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Snik,Jan 7 2017 on  06:46 AM
I have to agree.

For me, the whole show was made for youngest kids, it has nothing to do with original movie. It's the weakest part of LBT universe.

I liked only some of 26 episodes. And not because they were good but because they TRIED to be good and they HAD everything in it to become perfect small stories... But authors failed everything.
Wait. Silly me. Authors didn't fail anything if they did what they WANTED to do. Child show.

Sigh. I already said my position about TV series in some different topic here.

I don't want to see second season if they don't change anything.
But it's not just the writers. You also have to take into consideration the directors and everyone else involved. A show is a group effort (like a lot of things) and there's so many angles that it's hard to pin the blame on just one person.

And of course, there was effort put into the show. Anything that involves animation, voice acting, etc, takes time. But a lot of effort does not equate to a better product. It is difficult to say just how bad something is unless you see it for yourself. Even then, it's subjective. What is bad to one person might be just fine to another.

As for me, I did not really find the series all that bad. I'm not going to raise it above any of the movies, but it was not really gawd awful or anything. It's a harmless romp that I wouldn't mind letting children watch. It did have some decent ideas and characters.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If my kids watched this I'd just shake my head and show them better shows than this mess of a tv series. There was hardly effort at all put into this none. The animation was bad but it was manageable at best. The characters where Down played a lot and turned them into annoyances. The problems just made me just bang my head. Sorry I can't stick up for this show.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Like the post before you, DarkHououmon said that animation takes a lot of effort, especially traditional animation. As well as the voicing and all that. There was effort put into it, it just didn't turn out great for many.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
They could have put a lot more effort into this show. The episode plots where painful to sit through. But I guess the animation was alright just not the best. The show was a total bust but at least they tried but failed Gratefully

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
so, animation was bad or alright, Adfan?.. -_-

and again, we understood how painful was to you watching it when you made first post in this thread...
6/14
0/26

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The fun part is, some scenes in the TV series look satisfactory enough, even good, but then again some scenes look horrendous. For example, the opening scene of the Star Day Celebration looks really cool but some shots from the caption section...  :sducky The animation should have been more consistent.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
heh
your words reminded me about only scene where Red Claw were cool!
It was... his introduction scene. When he was in front of sun, his color turned to dark green, like legendary Sharptooth, with mighty roar. *rollseye*

clearly remember that moment...
6/14
0/26

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay as much as I rip this show apart I did find the red claw dinosaur pretty cool. It had a pretty decent design to it.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Red Claw looked alright. It's just that we were constantly told how mean and dangerous he was, but that's about it. In the words of Nostalgia Critic - "show, don't tell". The way the writers and animators handled him, the main villain of the TV series looked more like a run of the mill T-Rex with a scar who somehow got quite a reputation, but was still easily fooled by a bunch of kids and defeated by an old timer like Mr. Threehorn or Littlefoot's grandfather. The viewers never actually got any proof Red Claw was worthy of all the buildup.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The original sharptooth, the Plated Sharptooth, the Horned Sharptooth, heck any sharptooth was better than him. I still hold on to my belief that he is the sharptooth from the eighth film and that he got his scar from the log thrown at him by Mr. Thicknose, oh, and that he survived the fall, albeit with a scar and some damage...
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So you think Red Claw was the T-Tex that gave doc it's scar. Yeah it might have been that One we still don't know tho

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't think the Meanest Sharptooth is Red Claw...they look completely different. Tyrannosaurus aren't said to be able to live over a century as well...

The Mountain Sharptooth, on the other hand, has similar coloring to Red Claw. A log with sharp stumps will probably give you more of a scar than being whipped into a canyon.