The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Coming to DVD

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Woah...a DVD! I didn't see that coming!

Oh yeah, we get a DVD for LBT (which is great!) but do we get one for the Animals of Farthing Wood? Nooooo  <_< !

Anyhoo, I think I'd like to see a DVD.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
You didn't know Malte? It was on the land before time official website, I thought everyone knew.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I noticed it a few days ago on Wikipedia (with sources cited).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I must admit I haven't checked the page carefully for a while.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Release date: August 28, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Land-Before-Time-Ama...5073154&amp;sr=1-18
http://www.amazon.com/Land-Before-Time-Ama...5073154&sr=1-18

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
*sighs* To be honest, I would like to have all the episodes on a multipack set rather than a few eps at a time.  In fact, that's what I was expecting when I first heard the eps were coming to DVD. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen!  There's no way in *beep* I'm gonna pay $16 for 4 eps.  Not gonna happen.  Sorry universal!  You ain't getting my money! :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Just to do a little price comparison with other cartoons out there:

Land Before Time Amazing Adventures, $15.98, 91 minutes
Garfield and Friends Vol. 1, $26.99, 576 minutes
Ducktails Vol. 1, $24.99, 618 minutes
Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers Vol. 1, $24.99, 614 minutes
Care Bears Adventures in Care-a-lot, $9.99, 88 minutes
Inspector Gadget the Original Series, $29.99, 660 minutes

You tell me what's wrong with this picture; you've got series with a far larger fanbase (or a fanbase that is willing to purchase the set to relive memories) from studios that are putting 20+ episodes on about three discs and selling them for $25 or almost $1 per episode.  Does Universal really think people will spend $3.99 per episode for far less??? :rolleyes:  They're desperate I tell you.  I applaud Disney, Fox, and whoever else is doing the right thing and releasing real box sets with real value. :)  Universal should just wait and release the whole season at once with a price that's in line with the competition (i.e. less than $20 for less time).

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Ducktails and most of those films are very old carton series that not been out on TV for years and years and year... as I go on. THe price of a classic would be around that price line. It makes no real suprise to me. I seen lots of them doing it. But you'd need to remember LBT TV Series still got some to show at YTV in Canada so the episodes are not all out yet. This is how they work with a Sci-Fi called DOctor Who in the UK, while the seasons still running they release about the first 3 of them on DVD and then every month or so they bring out another and another.

So Land Before Time TV Series being released on DVD will only have 4 epsiodes out at first. Then they will move on to release the others stage by stage. it be roughly a year or two before they let out a complete series pack. That how I figured out they work with the episodes of popular viewed programs. even Cartoonnetwork restricted them to the Weekend now it was funny enough getting very high viewings.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Age is a nonfactor, Wayne.  People know a bad deal when they see one.  A small section of a TV series season for $16 is a bad deal.  TV series are a substantial purchase for consumers considering multiple seasons at $25 a pop.  Consumers will plan carefully which they will buy, and if they have to spend upwards of $50 for a 13-episode season of LBT, I can guarantee that's on the back burner or rather, it won't be done at all when there are other cartoon shows that get the DVD treatment with a far better value to boot.  Maybe you can justify that price tag of $16 for so little, but I certainly cannot.  My point is, Universal is going about it the wrong way when the competition is offering so much more, even if the cartoons are older, they still cater to the same demographic.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well $16 is cheep to me any how. It about 8 to 9 pounds in UK money.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I still ain't getting it -- unless it has "March of the Sand Creepers." :lol

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
I hope they put the episodes in the correct order.  <_<

About the cover:
If you don't like it, make yourself one.   :D

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I don't really care about the DVD release I already have most of the episodes on my PC, I'd just like to own it, expecialy if it has language options.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Unknown Person

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 19 2007 on  01:30 PM
You have no idea the capabilities of these programs do you?  If you've used photoshop (which I'm sure very few of you have), it can do just about anything.  I could turn 1 drawn image into a bunch of images and make a little movie out of it.  And photoshop's a nothing program.  I can't even imagine what their programs are capable of.  I'll bet there are only around 2000 drawn images out of the 64,000 that are used.  I'm not kidding.  Technology is the largest factor in creating these tv eps.

You must understand, landbeforetimelover, that before they started using technology for the TV episodes and the movies (Pre-LBT 7), they all drew all the frames by hand.  You are correct in that they would not be able dwell in a single frame for too long, since it would take years to complete a full movie, but artists don't draw the whole frame you see.  You cannot treat a frame in the same way as a detailed picture, they simply don't compare to each other in the development.

In the TV series, you noticed that they had computer-generated scenes of the dinosaurs walking.  You also probably noticed how ugly they looked.  Sure, they could make the whole series like that and spend around half a week or less on an episode, but it would not look as good, and it would ruin the whole point of a cartoon.  Cartoons looks better than that.  I personally believe even the soft shading techniques used in the newer LBT 10 (though I didn't notice it as much in LBT 12) looks much worse than the classic LBTs (6 and below), because it has so much of a more animated cartoon feel to it, and they sure spent a lot of quality time on it.

Before they used technology, animations were done by first an animator drawing a background for these scenes.  You probably would notice that a ton of backgrounds go into a movie, however you would also notice that most of them are re-used.  The dynamic objects, such as boulders and characters are the tricker part.  They are also drawn separate from the background, and are also drawn individually.  However, they still reuse these "cels" quite a bit.  If you noticed in the first Land Before Time movie, when Littlefoot's grandparents and Ducky's parents are eating leaves in the beginning of the movie, they are reused once again right before the ending credits.  This saves a heck of a long time, since at that time they were producing movies every two years.

With the help of computers, the process would seem to be much faster, but they would still have to draw the pictures by hand in a sort of way before letting the computers colour it and place it in the animations.  The point is that computers do not make the work any faster than it was, it just made it easier, and you cannot treat a picture that an artist would draw in a front cover to a frame in a movie.  A picture would obviously take much more time since there is no basis from a previously drawn background and other character animations to be reused from.  And to take the LBT TV series DVD cover to an example, they probably never actually took any of the images you see on the cover from a TV episode.  They simply would not spend any less time than something the viewer would see on a DVD cover for minutes than glance at for a split second of a frame.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Here are the episodes for volume one, straight from the official website:

Cave of Many Voices

Canyon of the Shiny Stones

Meadow of Jumping Water

Spooky Nighttime Adventure

Hopefully volume two comes out pretty soon.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
A very odd list. It looks like instead of doing a particular order, they just drew random episodes out of a hat or something.

I do wonder how The Spooky Nighttime Adventure got on that list. That episode hasn't even aired in the US yet....

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well sometimes episodes don't have to air to be put on volumes on DVDs they done that with some other programs that I watched so often then when I get a DVD that episode I see on the DVD not even been aired on TV at all. But it has been aired on Canada as well and maybe that they want to get big sales so they put on episodes that kids never seen so they will go 'I want I want' and parients buy.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I do wonder how The Spooky Nighttime Adventure got on that list. That episode hasn't even aired in the US yet....

Hehe.  That was one of my favorite eps.  I still think it's a ripoff though and I'm not gonna buy them.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Neither will I....I'll just watch them on YouTube or download them from your website LBTlover! :D