The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time 13 Review!

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Aug 29 2010 on  12:43 AM
Quote from: Campion1,Aug 28 2010 on  05:34 PM
LBT13 was the worst animated movie I've ever seen. Someday I should make an video review for the thing.
You've not seen many animated movies, then... ;) If you compare it to disney classics and the original LBT, yeah, then it's the worst movie ever. But if you compare it to say... Some movie you have seen in the past as a child and completely didn't care about (try checking out some movies with horrible drawing, voice acting and script) :p In that case the land before time isnt so bad...
I live off of animated movies. I see what I can.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have watched this movie over again after not watching it for a long time. When I first viewed this, I hated every bit of it with blind rage. Now that I have taken another look at it, I have an entirely new outlook on it and I wanted to share my personal opinion about it.

I will say it here and now, I don't hate this movie with blind rage anymore. Instead, I feel sorry for it as it was doomed to fail from the start. Does this mean I enjoyed it? Not entirely. I gave it the benefit of the doubt because I don't blame the movie itself for failing. I will get more into that later.

Before I do, I want to talk about the characters that are hated by many of us here at GOF: Yellowbellies. When I first watched this movie, I cringed at the characters antics and dialogue. Now, I don't hate the idea of a Yellowbelly. They looked really interesting as I didn't recognize what type of dinosaur they were based off of. Cuba Gooding Jr. and Sandra Oh are both very good actors, so really these characters could have and should have been very cool. Were they funny? Now that I look back I have to say yes, because we have to keep in perspective as to the audience the characters (let alone the entire movie) were most likely geared towards. Their antics are quite amusing to say the least, and I will even go as far and say that the Yellowbellies were NOT what killed LBT XIII.

I'll continue this later...........

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Jan 8 2011 on  09:55 AM
I have watched this movie over again after not watching it for a long time. When I first viewed this, I hated every bit of it with blind rage. Now that I have taken another look at it, I have an entirely new outlook on it and I wanted to share my personal opinion about it.

I will say it here and now, I don't hate this movie with blind rage anymore. Instead, I feel sorry for it as it was doomed to fail from the start. Does this mean I enjoyed it? Not entirely. I gave it the benefit of the doubt because I don't blame the movie itself for failing. I will get more into that later.

Before I do, I want to talk about the characters that are hated by many of us here at GOF: Yellowbellies. When I first watched this movie, I cringed at the characters antics and dialogue. Now, I don't hate the idea of a Yellowbelly. They looked really interesting as I didn't recognize what type of dinosaur they were based off of. Cuba Gooding Jr. and Sandra Oh are both very good actors, so really these characters could have and should have been very cool. Were they funny? Now that I look back I have to say yes, because we have to keep in perspective as to the audience the characters (let alone the entire movie) were most likely geared towards. Their antics are quite amusing to say the least, and I will even go as far and say that the Yellowbellies were NOT what killed LBT XIII.

I'll continue this later...........
Hmmm...now that I think about it...you do raise up some very good points there LBTFan13. I think I should give up on that grudge against Sandra Oh now. Okay, she is a good actor. The Yellowbellies were kinda stupid, but they were amusingly stupid. It wasn't the best movie around but, at least they sort of tried. I admit some parts are stupid but some were okay. But this is my least favorite of the sequals. I don't hate it, but it's honestly still pretty bad. Maybe I'll watch it again one of these day's..or maybe not.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i have never seen the film, and probably never will.. its a sad coda to end the series on..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Now that I have some more time, I can continue my analysis of the movie.

In my honest opinion, the Yellowbellies are nowhere near as bad as the true villain of this movie: LAZINESS. When I watched this movie for the first time, everything screamed rushed and halfassed. The plot? I could tolerate the gang helping the three Yellowbellies find the place they were trying to get to, but Berry Valley? It seems like the writers just took Great Valley and switched the Great with Berry. The whole deal with the Wisdoms is what killed the plot for me. They seemed like a random attempt to put something new into the franchise that hasn't been done yet, but really these were things that they could have been learning throughout the entire span of the movies. Did they really have to be crammed into this one story? I think if the movie stuck with the Yellowbellies plot and just developed it a heck of a lot more, it would have been fine. The majority of the adults aren't even included in the movie all together, although I will give it credit for putting some if any focus on Grandma Longneck, as for me it seemed like she was getting pushed aside in the later sequels for Grandpa Longneck. The writing itself? I don't think Sandra Oh and Cuba Gooding Jr. are to blame for their characters. You could tell they gave it their best effort, and they weren't terrible with their acting. They were just given really bad writing direction. In fact, the writing for all of the characters seemed a bit sluggish. I think the producers were trying to relate this movie to the humor that kids were becoming more used to lately, which probably would explain the first and only (at least as far as I remember) fart joke in the franchise's history. Does this mean the acting was terrible? No. Like Gooding Jr. and Oh, all of the voice actors made the best of what they were given. What about the songs? I actually don't mind "How Do You Know", as I think this song did the best job of trying to tell the message the confused movie was attempting to make. "Say-So" and "Yellow Belly Bounce" both suffered from the same lazy writing. I will admit that both of them actually had fairly decent tunes, just terrible lyrics. "Yellow Belly Bounce" would have been a really cool song if it were written better. I know, I can't believe I'm defending these songs the way I am, but they are nowhere near as bad as "Oops Eeps".

I've ranted on a lot about this movie, but I wanted to give it another chance. Basically to sum it up, this movie suffered from lazy writing, as it was clearly released as one desperate attempt to generate a profit on a seemingly dying franchise. It's bad enough when the TV series for the franchise is not released until the time of the 13th movie. As such, this movie had a lot of things against it. Is it a good movie? As a kids movie, it's tolerable, but as a LBT movie it certainly is not as good as it should be after so many years of these movies coming out. It is sad that this is the last of the movies, but at the same time based on how it turned out the next movie might have been worse off.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Jan 9 2011 on  01:03 AM

In my honest opinion, the Yellowbellies are nowhere near as bad as the true villain of this movie: LAZINESS. When I watched this movie for the first time, everything screamed rushed and halfassed. The plot? I could tolerate the gang helping the three Yellowbellies find the place they were trying to get to, but Berry Valley? It seems like the writers just took Great Valley and switched the Great with Berry. The whole deal with the Wisdoms is what killed the plot for me. They seemed like a random attempt to put something new into the franchise that hasn't been done yet, but really these were things that they could have been learning throughout the entire span of the movies. Did they really have to be crammed into this one story? I think if the movie stuck with the Yellowbellies plot and just developed it a heck of a lot more, it would have been fine. The majority of the adults aren't even included in the movie all together, although I will give it credit for putting some if any focus on Grandma Longneck, as for me it seemed like she was getting pushed aside in the later sequels for Grandpa Longneck. The writing itself? I don't think Sandra Oh and Cuba Gooding Jr. are to blame for their characters. You could tell they gave it their best effort, and they weren't terrible with their acting. They were just given really bad writing direction. In fact, the writing for all of the characters seemed a bit sluggish. I think the producers were trying to relate this movie to the humor that kids were becoming more used to lately, which probably would explain the first and only (at least as far as I remember) fart joke in the franchise's history. Does this mean the acting was terrible? No. Like Gooding Jr. and Oh, all of the voice actors made the best of what they were given. What about the songs? I actually don't mind "How Do You Know", as I think this song did the best job of trying to tell the message the confused movie was attempting to make. "Say-So" and "Yellow Belly Bounce" both suffered from the same lazy writing. I will admit that both of them actually had fairly decent tunes, just terrible lyrics. "Yellow Belly Bounce" would have been a really cool song if it were written better. I know, I can't believe I'm defending these songs the way I am, but they are nowhere near as bad as "Oops Eeps".

I've ranted on a lot about this movie, but I wanted to give it another chance. Basically to sum it up, this movie suffered from lazy writing, as it was clearly released as one desperate attempt to generate a profit on a seemingly dying franchise. It's bad enough when the TV series for the franchise is not released until the time of the 13th movie. As such, this movie had a lot of things against it. Is it a good movie? As a kids movie, it's tolerable, but as a LBT movie it certainly is not as good as it should be after so many years of these movies coming out. It is sad that this is the last of the movies, but at the same time based on how it turned out the next movie might have been worse off.
I agree with your honest opinion but I don't remember any fart jokes in this film. Granted, I haven't seen this in three years and gave it to my nearby library so I probably don't remember any. Fart jokes are a the cheapest and easiest way to get a laugh out of people when there is nothing going on and the most prominent film that I remember and have seen that uses this is G-force. but at least LBT 13 didn't have to use any hip-hop songs or pop culture references Like most kids films nowadays. The writers were simply running out of ideas or just didn't care enough to give any clever jokes in this silly movie. If you compared this to the first or even third film their is no sense of peril, small sense of adventure, and crappy villains. In fact, I don't think those meat eaters were villains. The music is just forgettable. If you are going to have music in LBT at least make it something tolerable enough for adults to listen too.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: oogaboo,Jan 9 2011 on  05:32 PM
I agree with your honest opinion but I don't remember any fart jokes in this film.
It was when Petrie and Ducky were under the hanging rock, and all the yellow bellies were scrunched together on them, and...

Also, baryonyx like the ones in the movie normally only ate fish, they rarely would eat other dinosaurs far as I know. ;)

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
It was when Petrie and Ducky were under the hanging rock, and all the yellow bellies were scrunched together on them, and...
-_-

Also, baryonyx like the ones in the movie normally only ate fish, they rarely would eat other dinosaurs far as I know.
:huh:  Well this film was certainly misleading. Especially for people AND kids who don't have a lot of knowledge about dinos!  Didn't these guys look up their facts?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess they don't care about facts that get in the way of their ideas, or don't want to do research.

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So this is where it all ends.

I still need to watch that movie though.