The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How about a Dance Simulation

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity
do you think little foot cannot dance think again

i have made a stepmania of land before time 12 and 13

if you have a stepmania i will give you the link soon  :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Please do :D
I made ones of the two versions of If We Hold On Together if anyone wants em. ;)

How hard are your songs?
I have all 5 difficulties ranging across a wide range of difficulties.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Folks who like the game and lbt may enjoy playing the game using the lbt songs.  I wonder how hard they are to convert, and which ones are easiest and hardest to convert and dance to.

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity
http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=27459

this is the link but you need to register

this step is a beta VERSION of 2nd song the yellow bellie beat for the land before time 13

if you wan to download

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I wonder how hard they are to convert, and which ones are easiest and hardest to convert and dance to.
It takes quite a bit of practice to do it well since the conversion is all done manually with the Stepmania editor (or an external program such as DDReam Studio).  It requires calculating/figuring out the speed of the song in beats per minute (BPM), ideally perfectly exactly, meaning being off by even 0.01 BPM will cause the steps to go out of sync with the music over time.  A good ear to tell whether the steps are even slightly out of sync (by more than a couple of MS, ideally) is essential to make a good Stepmania simfile.

Songs that are played by performers who don't use a metronome while playing are the hardest to make for Stepmania because the BPM changes so randomly throughout the song to very odd values.  Songs that have been synched to a metronome (or written on a computer) are much easier because usually you can just find the BPM, "set it and forget it" because the entire song lines up much better, without needing to have a million BPM changes throughout the stepfile. :) This fact makes techno/electronic music very appealing to step makers because the vast majority of such music has a constant BPM.

It also requires the creator to actually design the steps to be intelligent and interesting, which also takes practice.
I'll upload my "If We Hold On Together" songs shortly. :)

(Can you tell I've messed around with Stepmania a bit?  :lol  :lol )

I'm just going to try out Yellow Belly Beat soon. :p
(I already had a Bemanistyle account so that was easy :p)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I played "Yellow Belly Beat" and this is what happened on my first attempt:

If you're interested, here's a bit of a review I have on your song: :)

The big thing I noticed about your file is that the BPM you chose is a weird ratio of the actual BPM.  

I worked out the BPM for this song and in order to keep every step properly synched up to the music, the BPM should be 120 (or 240 if you wish to double it), not 175.

I'm not quite sure how you got 175. As far as I know, that isn't any musically-useful ratio of 120.  175 is 45.83% faster than 120.  If that was, say, 33% faster I could see it making sense but I'm just not quite sure where the number 175 comes from.

If you made it faster just to make the arrows faster..my advice: don't do that :p it knocks a lot of steps out of sync.  That's what the 1.5x, 2x, etc. features are for.  I was getting a lot of greats because I was trying to ignore the music and just hit the arrows because they were off-sync.  If you reduce the BPM to 120 and change the blue (8th) notes to yellow (16th) notes (after making other necessary changes, of course), it will probably feel more in-sync. :)

I can prove to you that it's 120.000 BPM with this little audio file:
I set up a click track at 120 BPM, playing over top of the Yellow Belly Beat song.  If you listen to this whole song, the click stays perfectly in sync with the music.  that click is exactly 120 BPM the whole time.

Yellow Belly Beat with 120 BPM click track

I've made hundreds of Stepmania songs by now so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :) :wave

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Wow, that sounds pretty technical, but at least there is a new way you can have fun once that is all done, for those who enjoy ddr.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, that sounds pretty technical
As soon as one gets into adding new content to a game, there's usually a bit of technical stuff involved in doing a good job.
but at least there is a new way you can have fun once that is all done, for those who enjoy ddr.
yep yep! It's amazing how long DDR can last if you can keep adding in all the songs you like. :)

Unfortunately, music-based games depend so much on precise timing that it makes it very, very hard for many people to make any of their own songs.  In order to make a good stepmania song, you have to be fairly good at Stepmania (knowledge of step patterns and flow, as well as being able to keep a consistantly-low great count in your scores).  You also need a pretty good sense of rhythm and knowledge of music doesn't hurt, either.  I've made Stepmania songs that would have been extremely painful if I didn't have knowledge of time signatures, for example.

and unfortunately, unless a Stepmania song is made well and properly in sync, it's very hard to enjoy because you can't get good scores unless you start ignoring the music, which kind of defeats the purpose of a dance game. :p This is why getting the steps in sync with the music is so incredibly important.

This is the problem with so many music-based things in the world: they require so much preparation/training to be able to do them.

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity
Update yellow bellie beat.zip

this is an update for the yellow bellie beat enjoy playing stepmania

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity
what controllers are you using? im using on a dance Mat and keyboard

the keyboard i use on editing and creating a song

well the dance mat for training

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity
if you not like the 4 shared file

yous this in the bemanistyle link

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=27558  

have a happy new year to all GOF  :DD

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity
this is the last 3 Setpmania songs from the land before time

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=27618

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=27617

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=27616

re member if you guys or girls have stepmania and you have no to play in the computer just play stepmania and edit the songs ok   :DD

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity
Check my screen shots of my stepmania  DDR super nova 2 theme on my PC the other songs will realest soon

LINK: http://kanganix.deviantart.com/gallery/#Stepmania-shots ^^

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity