The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How long is a "cold time"?

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've assume it's the equivalent to a year, but today Nick told me it's equivalent to 50 years??  :confused

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i said 5 cold times equals 50 years. But thats just a guesss. they never clarify how long a cold time is, let alone 5 of them.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Oct 30 2016 on  09:38 PM
i said 5 cold times equals 50 years. But thats just a guesss. they never clarify how long a cold time is, let alone 5 of them.
I assumed "cold time" meant winter. While it doesn't snow often in the great valley, it could still get cold, of course.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I always assumed it meant a year as well, though perhaps in areas without a distinct winter the terms "Dry Time" or "Wet Time" could be used to indicate the passage of a year as well.  Though the series does leave it somewhat ambiguous.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah maybe one of them equals ten years I believe

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
What confused me about "cold times" in LBT series was how quickly the dinosaurs who moved to the Great Valley got used to them. They act all confused and scared in "The Big Freeze", but the next time we see snow in the sequels or the TV series the gang and their parents treat it like a normal occurrence. :huh:

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
well, I assume, there always were cold times in Great Valley region (and in any other regions), when planet changes its side and angle from sun (one time in year! lol). Dinosaurs felt small changes in environment and temperature, and they call such period as cold times (notice, they told this term in Stone of Cold Fire, before Big Freeze happened).
At the time of 8th movie, climate in this region changed, and temperature changing grew, causing snow fall and snowstorms.
After that, snow became usual event during cold times, a "normal occurrence", so I don't see any reason why dinosaurs should worry about it.

i said 5 cold times equals 50 years. But thats just a guesss
hah
I wonder why you started to think so ;)

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: Nick22,Oct 31 2016 on  06:38 AM
That would mean that after every "winter" Littlefoot was growin 10 years older? Bot, Grandpa Longneck was right: he IS kinda short for his age. :D Seriously though, I don't think the dinos would survive with little green food for entire 10 years.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Remember though, that back then, the year was considerably  longer than it is. instead of the 365 days it is now . a year was around 450 days.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Oct 31 2016 on  07:42 PM
Remember though, that back then, the year was considerably longer than it is. instead of the 365 days it is now . a year was around 450 days.

I have to disagree somewhat with the math of this claim.  

If we use coral as an estimator of year length, as coral will produce a new layer of calcium carbonate every day and the amount they produce is related to seasonal temperature and sunlight cycles, then we get an estimate of about a 400 day year with 21 hour days about 450 million years ago.  For the period the gang would have been around (65 million to 220 million years ago) their days would have been 22 hours to 23.5 hours long and their years would have been around 370-372 days long, roughly similar to our current epoch.

This is shown on the following day calculation problem provided by Nasa:https://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/earth/6Page58.pdf

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Pinky997

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I always thought it meant winter.. so 4-6 months