The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Some Limits Imposed

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Comcast recently burned me for using 1,336gb of bandwidth last month, but I've got that settled for now.  But this is a whole different matter.  I'm not into trouble with bandwidth yet.  I have my excuses.

My real reason for making this topic is to say that some limits have been imposed on the LBT server.  For starters, I've applied a 150 connections limit (meaning people can only download 150 files from my server at a time).  Now this isn't the individual limit.  I've imposed a 3 file limit per IP address which means that you can't download all the TV eps at once or things like that.  I know dialup users like to start them all and wait for them to finish overnight, but it really slows down the server if the downloads are all coming from a single IP address (I'm not sure why).  That's why the limit has been imposed.  

There is no danger of using too much bandwidth.  Comcast won't tell me my bandwidth limit, but I do know it's over the standard 250gb/month because I'm on a business class connection.  At the same time I know it's under 600gb because they call me and freak out when I go over 600gb.  When I ask them to tell me the limit, they downright refuse.  I think it's time I changed ISP's. <_<

The LBT server is not my main source of bandwidth burning.  It only contributed to around 120gb last month (but it's up to 48gb in only 7 days.  Must be the streaming videos I have on my server).  Anyways, so long as I pay for a business class connection, I think I'm okay.  We'll see though.  I might have to change ISP's.  Comcast is really sucking right now. :(

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I warned you about that streaming stuff.  Realistically, you didn't put any limits up at all.  who's going to download 150 things simultaneously?  Make things go one at a time per user (places are like this) and you'll run a much leaner server.