The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dracula

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Pretty much most of the English speaking world knows about this story, either has read it or heard of it at least.

If you read it, what did you think of it? If you haven't read it, would you like to read it? :)

I REALLY liked the book myself. Full of metaphors, symbolism, the characters were so human and it made you believe they were REAL human beings. Van Helsing was definitely my favorite character. He was such an oddball and he really got my belief of life right on the mark. I didn't care for the ending, and all the shunning of old world pagan stuff and I thought it was a pretty odd way to end the story, still I loved it all regardless. :D

I must say though, it Bram Stoker was alive now, he would be horrified by how the vampire has evolved in human kind's mind and of course with the dreaded.......dare I say it.......

TWILIGHT...SERIES

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I tried to read it last year, but I had a "woooaaah" moment...it was the UNabridged version.

I'd say vampires would still be better if they weren't sexual images. They aren't sexy period...they're corpses. Which means they'd be bloated and icky with flesh falling off  :p .

Other than that, Stoker's presentation is definitely the best.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I listened to an uncut version of the book years ago.  A better view then having vampires as being sexy.  Never understood that myself.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i think rather than having vampires be sexy..it is the immortality that attracts us.. vampires live for centuries.. as for Dracula, Stoker combined the stories about Vlad Tepes the Impaler and Elizabeth Bathory, who bathed in the blood in her victims and is said to have killed 800 girls... to create Dracula, who has becoming, obviously the most famous vampire in history..I have the book, and have read it several times..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Well the thing with vampires, at least, how Bram Stoker presents them, they are basically symbols of everything that mankind was against and strived to not be. They were the antichrists, the seductive tempters of people. "Sexy" might not be the best word for these creatures, but they did have to be in some way persuasive in order to have control over people.

My two cents on the "sexy vampire" thing.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some do find them sexy, I've no idea why.  

I've seen the original Nosferatu, which is on youtube and to my knowledge in the public domain.  It is basically the Dracula novel, with some names changed.  Though it was not licensed from Stoker's widow, which is what got the film in trouble.  

Many know of Dracula likely due to the famous film starling Lugosi, I think is how his name is spelled, & or the Hammer Dracula films.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
yes the Dracula starring Lugosi was 1931. the Hammer films starred Christopher Lee, the first of which came out in 1958. and of course there are myraid vampire films, from Dracula's daughter to Twilight to pradoies like Dracula-Dead and Loving it.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've seen some of those films you mentioned, though no recent one.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Bram Stokers Dracula and Interview with a Vampire are good..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've read interview, but have not seen the movie.  

Not sure if I read Dracula, but I have listened to an unabridged version of the book quite some time ago.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i recommend you read it kor.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
yep.. it has truly become a classic.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I may try reading it at some point.  Forgot about it.  Lots of good public domain books to read.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
of the characters in dracula which is your favorite?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't really remember much of the characters to well.  How about you?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
iwas asking generally.. mine's van helsing..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Stoker's Dracula is one of those must read classics.  Compared to the usual drivel of novels that involve those blood sucking monsters, Dracula was one of those novels where the vampires are portrayed as something that is completely and utterly what human kind should be fighting against; ie the evil sins.   As a result the vampires weren't ''sexy'' in their appeal.  It was their power and immortality that invigarated the humans.  

As for the other novels in which vampires are portrayed as ''sexy'' 'villains', I can't really say.  I've only read (at the insistance of my sister) the first book of Twillight.  If Stoker was alive today I think he would be sick with the sparkly vampires.  

There is something really wrong about sparkly vampires....

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
& Dracula is free to download, & libravox has it in an audiobook free to download.  

Also the silent movie nosferatu has non sexy vampires, and the vampire does not look sexy even, icky.  

I never understood why so many see vampires as sexy.