The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Berenstain Bears

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With the upcoming movie, I thought it might be nice to talk about the books of The Berenstain Bears by Stan and Jan Berenstain.

I must say that I am impressed that this series has stayed alive for as long as it has.  Few franchises ever end up being this memorable.  There is no doubt that I enjoy reading these books.

I was also amazed with how well the authors tackled some of the more difficult subjects.  If anyone minds, I will talk about them.  I won't give them away, unless asked to.

For now, let's talk about them.  What are your thoughts on this memorable franchise?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
They're making a movie of them?  Hmm, wow!

Anyway absolutely, great childhood memories and I had a couple of their stories on VHS :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I remember watching some tv specials of them way back in the late 70's or 80's.  Didn't know they were still around.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
what difficult issues di d they adresss? I remember the morals about lying
 doing good in school parents returning to work etc
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh man, how I remember those stories, they were awesome.

I just hope they don't screw up the movie at all.

buffypii

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/buffypii
I remember watching the TV show when I was little. I had no idea that they were making a movie too!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Jan 24 2010 on  02:14 AM
what difficult issues di d they adresss? I remember the morals about lying
 doing good in school parents returning to work etc
Well, I remember those ones too.  However, the more recent books deal with much more difficult subjects.  I will only give out the main subject of the lessons.  Going further would give spoilers.

They are...

Love
Death
Helping Those in Need
Where Do Babies Come From? (Yes, they did tackle that one.)
Dealing With the Responsibilities that Come With A New Baby

If you like, I can go further.  Just know, there will be SPOILERS for these.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
sure thing.. i'm interested about love and death ones especially
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I think my stance on this one goes without saying. Before anyone gets too excited, just remember the Country Bears movie.

I remember one moral concerning caution around strangers. It ended up being that you should be judicious around them, but not rightout suspicious of every new person you meet. It was a nice balanced lesson.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
yeah, we're not expecting a great film, although the country bears were not as famous the berenstain bears imo, but yeah the film stunk
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Jan 25 2010 on  08:26 PM
sure thing.. i'm interested about love and death ones especially
Alright, I still don't want others to be spoiled too much.  So I'll give out the subject, the book and a short description on the book itself.  Hopefully, you will hunt down these books and read them for yourself.  They are great and some of the best work I've seen for a kids book.

Here we go!

Subject: Love

Book Title: The Berenstain Bears' Funny Valentine

Summary: Valentine's Day is just around the corner and Sister Bear has big plans to get the attention of Herbie Cubbison, the cutest cub in class. And she's going to let that no-good nuisance, Billy Grizzwold, know exactly how she feels about him and his never-ending pranks. But when Sister receives an extra-special valentine, she might just have to rethink her planned Valentine's Day massacre.

---------------

Subject: Death

Book Title: The Berenstain Bears Lose A Friend

Summary: Sister Bear loves taking care of her pet goldfish, Goldie. Sister feeds Goldie every morning and evening, cleans out her tank, and even gets her a beautiful fishbowl castle But when Papa and Mama find Goldie floating belly-up in her tank, they worry about how Sister will feel. How will the Bear family cope with the loss of Goldie, the best goldfish in the world?

-------------

Subject: Helping Those in Need (Note, two books with this one.)

Book One Title: The Berenstain Bears Think of Those in Need

Summary: Stuff in the closets, stuff in the drawers, stuff in the attic--too much stuff everywhere! Mama Bear convinces the family that cleaning out the house can not only simplify their cluttered lives, but also benefit those who are in need!

Book Two Title: The Berenstain Bears Lend A Helping Hand

Summary: When Mama concludes that there's too much "Me, me, me!" in Brother and Sister's behavior, she encourages them to help elderly Widow McGrizz deal with her full and messy attic. While the cubs are resistant at first, they soon find that there are rewards in giving a helping hand to those less fortunate.

--------------

Subject: Where do Babies Come From

Book Title: The Birds, the Bees and the Berenstain Bears

Summary: What happens when Sister Bear notices that Mama's lap is shrinking? No, it's not that Mama is eating too much salmon and honey comb. Mama is going to have a baby! With a little help from Mama and Dr. Gert, Sister learns about the birds and the bees...and sonograms, too!

------------------

Subject: Dealing With the Responsibilities that Come With A New Baby

Book Title: The Berenstain Bears and Baby Makes Five

Summary: Sister Bear is upset by all the attention her new baby sister is receiving. Then Sister gets a special homework assignment and, with a little help from wise old Mama, comes to believe that this new baby might just be a nifty addition to the Bear clan.

--------------

Hope you guys check those ones out.  They are quite some good stories. :)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
so whats the new baby's name? I'd imagine Brother is older now, around say 11or 12.. Sister 9 or 10.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Feb 4 2010 on  04:14 PM
so whats the new baby's name? I'd imagine Brother is older now, around say 11or 12.. Sister 9 or 10.
Well, there was a contest to choose the baby's name.  The winning choice was Honey.

Yeah, SO original, huh? :rolleyes:

EDIT:  And yeah, Brother and Sister are older now.  However, it's only about a year or two since the old books last I checked. :)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh, I absolutely enjoyed reading the books when I was a kid.  Although I read more advanced material today, I still enjoy these books.  

I remember clearly being in the third grade and proceeding to check out one of the books from the school library.  My teacher told me I was too old for those books.  I was eight years old, for Pete's sake!

My reply: "But I still like 'em."

In my opinion, age is only a number ;).

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I used to read the Berenstein Bears when I was young, until I found The Berenstein Bears and the Big Question, said Question being how the Christian God can make your life better. Being atheist, it kinda turned me off of the series watching Mama Bear teaching Sister how He is always watching over you.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Well, well, this is a surprise indeed! I love the Berenstein Bears franchise...and to hear they're making a movie sounds rather intriguing. However I don't have too great a faith in how this movie might turn out. While I had never heard of the Country Bears, the simple fact that they promoted a movie I had absolutly NO knowledge of didn't really make much sense to me.

But back on topic. The one book I do indeed remember reading most often was of course Talking to Strangers. It actually helped put my world into perspective on who and more importantly how to speak with people I didn't know.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i hasven't read those books in a long time. but i read all of them (that were available) when i was younger. at least Brother isn't old enough yet where Papa and Mama have to teach him about dating girls :)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow!  Considering all the subjects the authors have tackled, I thought they would've gotten to this some years back, but when I think about it, this is a tricky subject and one you need to approach with caution.  What was it this time?

Subject: The Issues of the Internet

Book: The Berenstain Bears Computer Trouble

To be honest, I'm surprised they were able to pull it off so well.  Seriously guys, this isn't an easy thing to deal with.

Highsoar

• Big flyer
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Well, I like the addition of the Christian-themed books myself. Personally, I really don't know why people always want to try to explain this world without God. But that's as much as I'll say here, to avoid rule-breakage.

There are also a number of chapter books too.