The Land Before Time > 1988 Theatrical Release

What would you like...

(1/17) > >>

Petrie:
This is all for fun mind you, but what would YOU like to see in an anniversary release?  The 20th anniversary will be in 2008 so it's a long ways off, but if you could dream up the ultimate anniversary release what would you put on the special edition dvd?

After just drooling over watching the 25th anniversary release of Watership Down, I would definitely want Bluth or Goldman giving a director's commentary explaining the ups and downs of production.  If that wasn't in there, I wouldn't buy it.  I already have the film thank you, now I want to hear how that film was produced, directed, animated, etc.

Also some special features would be nice:  in-production gallery, early sketches, early storyboards (there were some), deleted scenes (there were some of these too but they never were inked or painted), cast and crew-what are they doing now, what did they think of working on the film?

These are my ideas...what are yours?

Littlefoot1616:
I'd have to say mine requests would pretty much be the same. It would be a wonder to hear from Don Bluth and Gary Goldman (it is Gary isnt it?). Deleted scenes are a MUST! For gawd sake, the movie was supposed to be at least an extra 1/2 hour longer than it currently is but major cuts were made to it coz they reckoned that the kids wouldnt sit still long enough to watch the whole thing. It only seems to be current releases who have the accessibility to input deleted scenes from the movies but Im sure Universal has an entire film reel archived somewhere...I cant believe they'd make trims to the movie and just chuck 'em out! No way! No film director is THAT dense! Annoyingly, the LBT 15th anni DVD never actually left the shores of Region 1 so nowhere else got the privilege to see it but I heard that there was nothing particularly special about it. There is so much to be shown, original sketches, photos of production etc. Hopefully, a new anni release will be planned out much better rather than just a side project slapped up together as a quick idea. I doubt we'll see a 20th anni but maybe a 25th to mark a quarter century (that's normally the first big landmark for an anni). But during that time, hopefully we've got some wicked sequels heading our way!

Malte279:
As for the 15th anniversary edition of LBT on DvD, it was released in Germany yesterday. I didn't see it, and right now I can't afford to buy this or any of the other six LBT DvDs (2 to 7) which are available in Germany for the first time now. Except for the different language versions, there seems to be nothing special about those DvDs at all. Those of LBT 2 to 6 had a remark on "special features", which in all cases seem to consist of two games of the kind that entertains a three year old for five minutes. The original movie had a remark about the movie being edited digitally (whatever that means), but no reference to any special features.

I definitely agree that an anniversary edition of the movie (sorry, but I doubt that another DvD edition with this features is ever going to be released) should contain the outcut scenes. For all I know 7 minutes of the movie that were actaully produced were cut out later. Maybe more scenes were planned but not finally realized. Maybe it would be possible to find planning sketches of such scenes that give an idea of how such a scene would have looked.
An audio comment of Don Bluth and Gary Goldman would certainly be great. I would also be very interested to hear something from Judy Freudberg and Tony Geiss (who created the characters) and Stu Krieger (who wrote the script). I'd be very interested to know who was actually the first one to come up with an idea for LBT, and who really thought of the story. It would also be interesting to know if there were earlier koncepts for the outward appearance of the characters (I doubt anyone just draw a dinosaur and from the first attempt it looked like it looked in the movie), and for the story plot (I read about earlier plans for the storyline that were supposed to stress the topic of racism ("threehorns never play with longnecks") much more than the movie did).

Petrie:
Yep, yep the Anniversary edition had nothing to offer.  :angry:   No widescreen, no surroundsound, no EXTRAS.  WTF?

They sure want to milk the series by leading us to believe that the anniversary edition was worth owning but it was a cheap rip-off.

Seems we all want the same things on an anniversary edition.  Hope Universal's listening. ;)

WeirdRaptor:
Darn right I'd like to see a 20th Anniversary version of it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version