The Land Before Time > 1988 Theatrical Release

Tell Your Story About LBT

(1/35) > >>

Petrie.:
Well, anyone who can remember the late 1980s knows that VCR's were still pretty darn expensive and tapes were over $25 a pop.  I only recall having the Land Before Time on tape and it was one of my favorites to just watch.  That and Bambi.  Didn't have much to choose from in those days.  :P:

What attracted it to me in those days was dinosaurs....loved 'em, and at that time, people still used the name brontosaurus like it was the only one out there....that and T-rex.  These days, I keep revisiting the original film for the love of hand drawn animation, and James Horner's score.  I'll always cherish those. :)  I even remember setting up a tape recorder so I could listen to the story of LBT on car trips. B)  Good times.

Now as for the sequels, there was a time, I didn't mind them.  Then again, I was ten when the first one hit store shelves, and then we added the third and fourth to our collection, and that was it.  I guess me and my sister never bugged my mom to buy the rest.  I saw 5, 6, and all the rest much later, and by then, they were ok, but they became second nature as I had a stronger interest in Jurassic Park and James Gurney's Dinotopia.  Do I still watch the sequels?  Nope.  To this day, I still have no copies of the shows to watch, save of course the theatrical film.  Michael Tavera's scores aren't too bad; those I have and listen to them every now and then.

Of course these days, I have the Gang of Five to keep me busy, meeting new LBT fans and followers as we come up on the twentieth anniversary of the original film.  We can only hope that Universal treats us well. :) :)

DarkHououmon:
I'm not sure...It's been so long since I remember seeing Land Before Time for the first time. Hey I was only 3 when the movie came out to theatres. Maybe even just 2. So I'm just gonna take a guess here; I was a big dinosaur nut when I was a kid. I still like them today, but I'm not as obsessed today as I was as a kid. My brother Clint saw it when he was 7 or 8, and the sharptooth scared him so much. My dad was upset though because the movie was little over an hour long, and he considered it a waste of money because it was so short.

I used to love the sequels as they came out. I kept wanting to rent/buy them as soon as they came out and watch them at home with my sisters, or by myself. My interest started to diminish around the 6th movie because I got sick and tired of those songs they sang. Nowadays I can't stand the singing, so I fastfoward past any song sequence.

While I am not as interested in the sequels as I was as a kid, I've made it a tradition to myself to watch any new release of Land Before Time. LBT reminds me of my childhood days, and that's why I continue to watch new movies as they come out.

NewOrder:
I was born the same year the movie came out to theatres so I only heard of lbt much later. I remember my 3rd grade teacher bringing it to class one day and showing it to us, I was one of the few that were actually interested. I was a dinosaur nut, still am, and hopping to one day become a paleontologist. So during my childhood, movies like Jurassic Park, and "Denver the last dinosaur" were my bible. I first really noticed lbt (eventhough my teacher brought it to class, I kind of just sat there, enjoyed it, and forgot about it the next minute), when I was watching my JP tape that had the trailer in the beggining. I was like, dad, I want to watch that! But he never gave much thought into it.

In december 97, the national channel decided to air translated versions of lbt 1,3 and 4 (don't know why they forgot 2). I watched them, taped 4, and just fell in love with the series. I used to watch them every weekend, my tapes ended up all messed up. I used to go to the local library and just rent them, I was always upset because they never had no 2, and that was the only one I hadn't watched. Anyway, I kept waiting for lbt's until no 7, then I lost interess, I used to watch them every once in a while, but I just stoped caring. Had other things on my mind =p After a couple of years, eventhough I was aware that there were lbt 8, 9 and 10, I just ignroed them, 'till one day, I decided this couldn't go on, and my interest come back. It's sort of a love, hate story, where the hate is replaced with misregard =x Anyway, I like lbt and intend to own all of the sequels even if I don't like them, mostly because of the impact lbt had on my life, and it's importance in my childhood.

pokeplayer984:
Oh, so we basically tell our story of how we became a fan, starting from the beginning, huh?  Okay! ;)

Okay, so I am one day watching TV and I see this comercial for The Land Before Time.  So as it looking like a good movie and all, I run up to my mom and dad and beg them to let us go see the movie.  So we go and see it and I end up enjoying it so much that I wished it would be on video immediately.  Impatiently, I wait for Christmas and I get the movie finally.  I watched it many times after that, but after several years with no sequal, you eventually stop watching it.

LBT 2 finally comes out after several years.  However, I do not get it right away.  We rent it and watched it.  I must say this at least, waiting several years for a sequal was worth it.

I then see LBT 3 and own it by it's year's debut Christmas.  One of the better earlier ones I must say.  Well worth getting in the end.  By that time, I'm the only member in my family to actually like it.  My brother hardly cared for it, but he was willing to watch it just to pass time when he's bored.

The preview of LBT 4 got me excited.  From the moment I saw Ali, I had a feeling there was going to be some sort of relationship between her and Littlefoot.  However, once I saw it, I was a little disappointed as it did not meet my expectations.  Lovewise, I was expecting something like Ali licking Littlefoot across the face. :lol I was very hooked on Disney Cartoons back then, many of which involved Minnie giving Mickey a big kiss on the lips. :lol: The closest thing we get is that Ali taps Littlefoot on the cheek with her nose.  I often inturperted that as a peck on the cheek.  His shocked face is what made me inturpert it like that.  These days I know better. :P:

In all truth, I got 2 and 4 together, which was not such a big regret.  For many years I watched these four videos in my free time.  However, as the years progressed, my love for LBT diminished, because I was only watching these four.  It gets quite boring after so many times you know. :P:

I only got to watch LBT 5 by rental and TV airing purposes.  Sad to say, I even dropped spending time with family just to watch it.  Something I regret nowadays.  It seemed that TV and video games were all that mattered to me back then, which is just sad. :(

By LBT 6, I had watched LBT videos far too much and my love for kid shows had nearly died.  I forever regret not paying attention to how great it was.  As such, it gave me quite the bad image of LBT.

For years then, I put myself on a hiatus of watching LBT.  I continue to see comericals of upcoming LBT videos, simply wondering how they continue to keep going?

I then see LBT 11: The Invasion of the Tinysaurus for sale at Wal*Mart and wonder to myself why I stopped watching it.  So I buy it and watch it.  My love for the series returns. :)

Determined to see what I missed, I go on a search to find them.  Slowly saving up my leftover spending money, I then get LBT 9.  I must say, it was the best sequal ever made.  The writers had decided to get back to how it all started.  Giving us a little major earthquake and have the gang try to get back home.  Having yet another dark scene put in that, if I could, would've left me in tears.

Continuing to save up money, I get 10 next.  I had once called it one of the most misunderstood LBT pieces ever made, but Malte, after somewhat amount of debating, set me pretty much straight.  I still hold quite the opinion of how well done the sharptooth battle was, but those were the three worst sharpteeth I had ever seen.  Still, it is a good one, and I continue to watch it from time to time. :)

Next came LBT 8 for me.  Where I live, this is THE most recurring LBT video to appear on TV.  Seriously! :P: Despite the simple plot involving snow, there is alot to talk about.  At that point, I wondered why I even went on hiatus.

The last ones were difficult to get.  I was only able to get LBT 5 on VHS before it seemed like they would no longer be sold anywhere on VHS.  I would've preferred DVD, but meh! :nyah

I then hear about a new Wal*Mart opening.  As part of my job, I feel it a need to check out other opening Wal*Marts, so I ask my mom to drive me over there.  So we go over there and split up.  As I'm in the electronics department, checking out movies and such, I then see a DVD set having the final two LBT movies to complete my collection, 6 and 7. :D As such an oppurtunity, I buy it with a gift card that I got for Christmas. :^.^:

What it is that keeps me coming back is hard to say.  There's just too many good things about LBT in my book.  I could go on an hour long to read list of what good things are in it, but I don't feel like putting that in. :nyah

Hopefully, I will one day find someone who I can get the book from on eBay, who doesn't want it done by PayPal.  Either check or cash payment please. (Check preferred.) :^.^:

So this is where I stand today.  Being a loving fan of LBT time, continuing to love the series and buying new things from it until the franchise becomes illeagal. :lol

WeirdRaptor:
Well, I had to see it on VHS the time I saw it, because I was three when it was in theaters. I was about five when I first saw it on VHS when my parents bought it for me for a birthday, I think, and I was immediately hooked. I still have my old VHS version of it...somewhere, but it was lost in the depths of time when when I got it on DVD. I vagely remember there being a Pizza Hut commercial before the film on it.

Then I saw the sequels and became a fan of some of those, and so on and so force, you now the story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version