The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Black Petrie

Guest · 21 · 3472

Kron the Iguanadon

http://www.thelandbeforetimewd.com/6-13-20...ting-Petrie.php

0:14-0:32

Petrie is a black flyer. :)

Don't know why anyone hasn't noticed this. I think he looks cool this way, but oh well, they couldn't stay with one design. I do like his normal design, though. :) Maybe for another flyer we meet, if the series does get another sequel? (Although seeing how poorly flyers in later sequls, particularly 7 and 12, were drawn, I have my doubts...)

Bruton the Iguanodon

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Actually you're wrong by the "no one has noticed this" statement. The fact that Petrie appears black has been mentioned in before on this board. I believe it was concluded that he was supposed to be in shadow.

Bruton the Iguanodon

It has? Before I made this topic? Where?

Bruton the Iguanodon

I believe it was concluded that he was supposed to be in shadow.

I don't think so...I don't think he's even in the shadow the whole (short) time in which he is black...when was this concluded?  :huh:

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I came to this conclusion a while back. In fact, I believe it was a reply to a query of yours in one of your own topics. I get that sounds a bit unlikely, especially because he was still in shadow when he landed on LF's face, but I'm deducting that it was deliberate, probably to enhance his introduction. Also, he wasn't black. He was a very dark brown.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I came to this conclusion a while back. In fact, I believe it was a reply to a query of yours in one of your own topics.

Ok, I thought it had been concluded somewhere else, but yeah, I remember that.

but I'm deducting that it was deliberate, probably to enhance his introduction.

I'm sorry, but don't really understand what you're getting at...how would being the wrong color "ehance" his introduction?

Also, he wasn't black. He was a very dark brown

My bad.  :slap

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, but don't really understand what you're getting at...how would being the wrong color "ehance" his introduction?
You know how in creature features, sometimes the identity of the creature is hidden by not showing it for half the movie so you're sort of left wondering about what it is? It's sort of like that. It's just a little time to make assumptions about what and who he is. Does that make sense? It did in my head. :lol:

Bruton the Iguanodon

I guess. Sort of like Rudy in Ice Age 3. But why would they need to hide his appearence if he appears as he is like, less then 20 seconds later?

Bruton the Iguanodon

Hello, I'm still waiting for an answer.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm sorry. I thought we came to an agreement. I didn't see your last post.
Anyways, I have no clue. Honestly, I can't give you anything other then guesses. The only people who have the right answer are the animators. It's quite possible that it was a mistake although he was that dark for too many frames to be. That's just my observation, though.

Bruton the Iguanodon

...and in too many frames to be in the shadow...

This is bizarre!  :huh:

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Mar 4 2012 on  08:45 PM
...and in too many frames to be in the shadow...

This is bizarre!  :huh:
Exactly. We can sit here and swap ideas but only asking one of the animators will give us a definitive answer as to why he is that dark.

Bruton the Iguanodon

This sucks

It's a glaring error and yet we can't for the life of us decide why it happened.  <_<

Aww...isn't he a cute little black flyer?  :wub (Not that his nomral look isn't cute, too.  ;) )

Bruton the Iguanodon

Anyone have any more ideas?  :unsure:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I always that was supposed to be Petrie in the shadows or something.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Bruton the Iguanodon

Anyone else have any clue of what's going on here?!

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well, I do not think that it's a glaring error.  My thoughts are that he is in the shadows for the purpose of suspense.  
When Littlefoot started pulling on that cycad (or fern or whatever) something started to make a noise.  We as the audience know it can't be the plant, so we start wondering what could be making that noise, and then this strange looking sillouetted creature falls out!  After that bit of surprise, we are introduced to our new friend Petrie, who is now in the sunlight where we can see him clearly.  

So mainly, I think that the filmmakers wanted to introduce the "comic relief" character in a slightly different way that was suspenseful and humorous.  

This is just my two cents though.   :p