The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How am I getting SO Much SPAM in Gmail?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Lately, I end up waking up to seeing a bunch of mail in my SPAM folder of my Gmail Account.  Just yesterday, I woke up to over 80 messages in my Junk Mail.  I deleted them without looking at a single one, but it's getting me concerned.

Any tips to help minimize it?

Thanks in advance.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Maybe you can use the Filters And Blocked Addresses option in Gmail?

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I have the same problem. I try to only use my gmail account with trusted sources, but I still end up with loads and loads of spam. The problem with the Filters and Blocked Addresses option is that it doesn't actually block e-mails, it just re-directs them into the Spam folder. Kind of a big oversight if you ask me.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I have the same problem, I ended up making 2 accounts and everything unimportant that I might still need goes in 1 (which is now the land of spam, which it already was) and important stuff I really need goes in the other. So now I don't have to worry, I check up on both but I can find the stuff I need without hassle. On my spam one, I don't delete anymore, it would be 50 hours of deleting.
8 years with TGOF :yum

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
You have to be very careful who you give your email to.  The way to stop these messages is to open each one and hit the "unsubscribe" button at the very bottom of each sender's email.  By law, they're required to have this information.  And unless you've got an easy to guess email (i.e. john@gmail.com), spammers haven't just started targeting you for no reason.  You gave it to them, or to another unscrupulous party that sold your email to them.

If there is no "unsubscribe" option, then it's probably a malware infested email sent by scammers and hackers in another country.  Unfortunately all you can do is add their emails to your junk mail list so you'll never see them in your inbox.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
How much are you getting, Pokeplayer? 80 per day?

I get about 10 in my Spam box per day. I just let it auto-delete.  :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Update: After playing around with the "filter" option and unsubscribing, I've been able to bring it down to a few a day in my Junk Folder.

The kinds I was getting that I could not unsubscribe to were things like Boosting my Credit, Finding Sexy Women, Offering Grants, etc.  They were easy to identify as the title for the messages had images on them.  For those, I figured out words they used often that very few use otherwise and blocked messages that have those words with the filter.  It's actually worked out great.

For now, I await the week when I have nothing in my Junk Folder.  I do have days when I have nothing, but those are few and far in between.

I think I'm doing well now. :)