The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

HELP ME!

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Hi, I've been having problems with my computer lately. Recently, it stopped working, and I turned it off, but when I restarted, it went to the preparing automatic repair, then a black screen, and finally, to repairing disk, which it stayed at for all of last night and until I turned it off just a few minutes ago. I've been trying to turn it on for days. I can't reboot it, and I've tried everything, should I take it to an electronics store? Any ideas What I could do?  :cry

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm not so great with fixing computers, but it sounds like it might be your hardrive is dead. Should probably wait for someone who really knows this stuff, like maybe LandBeforeTimeLover (I think that's his name)
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Would you be able to provide more detailed information about what is going on when it failed? It will be difficult determining a probable solution without more data. Like, what were you doing? Did the computer freeze or did it shut down? Can you turn the computer on? If so, can you boot into the operating system? Did you hear any unusual noises? Did you force shut it down if it froze?

It will be easier determining a course of action if this information is provided.

And I ask about turning the computer on because you said at one point that you have been trying to turn it on for days but then you say that you had it on last night.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm a certified computer repair technician and run my own repair business.

Definitely a hard drive.  Go have it replaced with an SSD by a professional repair shop.  Avoid the big box stores.  Try someone smaller and local.  You'll get a better deal and probably a faster turnaround time.  Do yourself a favor and buy one of these SSD's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...7-372-_-Product

Samsung makes the best SSD's nowadays.  No one else even comes close to their level of speed and reliability.  A 5 year warranty is included with this drive.  Either buy it yourself and wait for it to arrive, and then take the computer in.  Or you can just show them this and they should be willing to order it and put it in for you.

DO NOT try to start the computer anymore.  It's not going to magically fix itself.  The longer you run it in this state, the higher the probability that you're going to have severe data loss.  The shop should be able to transfer your data quite easily (that is, if the drive hasn't gotten worse from you allowing it to run like that).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah I was thinking hard drive as well. Either that or the power supply. Regardless, it's going to cost some money to get it repaired, Chomper98. If you take it to a repair shop, they should be able to analyze it and let you know what the issue is. Most likely, hard drive or power supply, as previously stated.

Getting an SSD would be a good idea, as they have no moving parts (so they are not prone to things like head crashes) and they can offer a speed boost. The only issue would be price, as they can be more expensive. It's worth looking into at the very least. Newegg usually has relatively good prices, though. Looks like the one provided in the link is between $70 and $153 (some reason the site won't tell you the price unless you request it, odd). That is not a bad price. That's actually about what you would pay for a regular HDD anyway.

Anyway, good luck with the computer, Chomper98. Hopefully things will work out.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I've personally been through this more times that I can tell you, although my brother is great with computers so I always had him help me. PLEASE keep it out of the cold, this is common and the computer does this. If you cannot get it to reboot, unfortunately you have to get it taken it, it shouldn't cost to much.
8 years with TGOF :yum

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Feb 11 2016 on  07:54 AM
(some reason the site won't tell you the price unless you request it, odd).
It's a common practice of Newegg.  Samsung has a retail price of $99.99 on the drive, and it also has a "minimum advertised price" of $87.99.  If Newegg advertised it for less than $87.99, Samsung would refuse to sell to them in the future.  To sell it for less and avoid the legal issues, they make it so you have to have the price either emailed or texted to you.  For the record, at the moment the 250GB SSD is $84.99.  Quite a steal.  I'm not supposed to reveal this, but my wholesale price on this drive is $83.74 when I buy in lots of 20.  In lots of 50 they're $83.37 each.  For lots of 100, they're $83.01 each.  Buying 1,000 of these drives drops the price down to $82.97, so needless to say I usually buy in lots of 20, 50, or 100.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah I see. I haven't looked through Newegg enough, so I never noticed any times where the price is hidden.

But yeah that is a good price, especially for a solid state drive of that size. I usually see them being sold for more. But I imagine that they will become more affordable later on, as they become more commonplace.

I think I will inform a friend of mine about this. He's interested in SSDs but he hasn't found any with a good price, and he does frequent Newegg. I'm surprised he hasn't seen this yet.