The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Legend of Zelda (all)

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
I have enjoyed every single Legend of Zelda game I've played. The series is just awesome and epic. Every game of the series is just a masterpiece.

I thought Wind Waker was pretty good, the story was dark and I liked the treasure hunting although tedious for the Triforce pieces. Ganon already flooded Hyrule due to his wrath and he was looking for the rest of the Triforce pieces to bring Hyrule back and continue with his evil intentions. He was pretty evil enough to me in WW. He was just in a downtime while searching for the remaining Triforce pieces. It just doesn't seem worth it spreading unspeakable evil on a series of small puny islands when you can raise your own land to rule over from literally under the ocean by just finding two pieces and making a wish.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
You still make it sound liek Ganon is the only one trying to save the world, Keni. No, the story was crap. The villain should not be one of the people trying to fix what damage was done.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't get what you mean by being the only one trying to save the world. Nobody knew about Hyrule being underwater, and even if they did how would they bring it up or something? They were just living their lives as always in their islands.

Ganon wasn't trying to fix something. Far from it. His power was bound by the Master Sword, he wanted the Triforce of Wisdom from Zelda for power. It was pure coincidence he also found the Triforce of Courage.

His interest was also to raise Hyrule and make it his kingdom. His idea of a kingdom is him ruling over it and having it full of monsters wreaking havoc, not exactly a way to 'fix 'the damage.

No, he wasn't aiming to save or fix the world, he wanted to make it worse. It was bad enough being isolated on little islands, it would be pure living hell having a world completely filled to the bone with monsters running around ruling the lands and having an evil king to boot. In short words, it'll be Ocarina of Time Future Hyrule all over again, and we know how horrible that future was the moment we set foot on it as Adult Link.

It's been a long time since I last played Wind Waker, and this debate is making me want to play it again. I apologize if I'm forgetting something about the plot, this is from pure memory.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't get what you mean by being the only one trying to save the world. Nobody knew about Hyrule being underwater, and even if they did how would they bring it up or something? They were just living their lives as always in their islands.
Ah, so by your argument, you're saying that the people of Hyrule were a bunch of illiterate morons who just might need a tyrant to rule over them to get their rears in gear again, as they obviously lowered the standards of their quality of living.

Ganon wasn't trying to fix something. Far from it. His power was bound by the Master Sword, he wanted the Triforce of Wisdom from Zelda for power. It was pure coincidence he also found the Triforce of Courage.
I call causing the flood waters to receed so that everyone can live on land again fixing it. He was the only one in the entire game who showed any interest in doing that. He, at least, had a goal, unlike everyone else int he game.

His interest was also to raise Hyrule and make it his kingdom. His idea of a kingdom is him ruling over it and having it full of monsters wreaking havoc, not exactly a way to 'fix 'the damage.
At least it'd be a continent of firm ground again. Besides, he can just be overthrown later.

No, he wasn't aiming to save or fix the world, he wanted to make it worse. It was bad enough being isolated on little islands, it would be pure living hell having a world completely filled to the bone with monsters running around ruling the lands and having an evil king to boot. In short words, it'll be Ocarina of Time Future Hyrule all over again, and we know how horrible that future was the moment we set foot on it as Adult Link.
No, he was trying to save the world. He even passed up on just about every chance to kill Link and Zelda throughout all the game. And there is no way the world could get worse at that point. Yes, I know how horrible the "Ocarina of Time" future was. Link actually had a mission objective to fulfill there. If I were Link in "The Wind Waker", I'd have been over to the dark side so fast the instant I realized that I'd been screwed out of a world of land.

It's been a long time since I last played Wind Waker, and this debate is making me want to play it again. I apologize if I'm forgetting something about the plot, this is from pure memory.
Don't bother!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ah, so by your argument, you're saying that the people of Hyrule were a bunch of illiterate morons who just might need a tyrant to rule over them to get their rears in gear again, as they obviously lowered the standards of their quality of living.

Um, don't put words in my mouth, I never said anything to that extent. The Flooding disaster happened years ago, the land of Hyrule was laid forgotten so deep in the ocean it was practically impossible to find by the means they had. The people in this game are descendants from the ones who survived the flooding, most of them forgot or haven't heard of the legend to know about Hyrule being somewhere underwater.

I call causing the flood waters to receed so that everyone can live on land again fixing it. He was the only one in the entire game who showed any interest in doing that. He, at least, had a goal, unlike everyone else int he game.

Again, we are dealing with the DESCENDANTS of the people of Hyrule. The flood happened YEARS ago, by the time Wind Waker took place everyone thought of the land of Hyrule AND the flood as a legend and nothing more. So basically if they go underwater they'll find nothing most probably due to the magical barrier surrounding Hyrule, making it invisible for everyone.

Really, if they can't see or find Hyrule underwater, how can they receed the flood. With what means too?

At least it'd be a continent of firm ground again. Besides, he can just be overthrown later.

And how do you know he'll be overthrown? If Link failed in Wind Waker and the entire Triforce goes to Ganon then they'd be pretty much screwed. Sure, maybe centuries later another Link will be born or the Gods come back to do something about it, that is IF by that time the world will still be inhabitable with all the demons and monsters.

No, he was trying to save the world. He even passed up on just about every chance to kill Link and Zelda throughout all the game. And there is no way the world could get worse at that point. Yes, I know how horrible the "Ocarina of Time" future was. Link actually had a mission objective to fulfill there. If I were Link in "The Wind Waker", I'd have been over to the dark side so fast the instant I realized that I'd been screwed out of a world of land.

If he killed Link and Zelda before he'd take away the Triforce pieces from them, then he'd lose the pieces too until who knows when.

And yes, the world could've been much worse than the way it was in Wind Waker. At least the people were HAPPY. Seriously, I'd choose to live on those islands than have Hyrule come up and be at the mercy of monsters and an Evil King who can kill every single person in Hyrule by just looking at them.

Don't bother!

Oh, I WILL. I like the game and I don't need someone else to tell me to not play a game just because he didn't like it. I respect your opinion if you like the game or not, but don't tell me to not bother in replaying a game that I like.

Anyway, I end my posts about Wind Waker here, I already said what I remember about the game and got no more to say. I can't change someone's opinion and look on the game, and I'm not trying to.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Oh, I WILL. I like the game and I don't need someone else to tell me to not play a game just because he didn't like it. I respect your opinion if you like the game or not, but don't tell me to not bother in replaying a game that I like.

I have to agree with Keni on this one, WR. You may not like the game, however, you cannot tell him he cannot play the game. It's his choice, not yours.

Anyway, I think I have played a tiny bit of Wind Waker, but I didn't like the controls so I stopped playing. The only Zelda game I played that I have a real opinion on is Link to the Past, which was pretty good in my opinion.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Um, don't put words in my mouth, I never said anything to that extent. The Flooding disaster happened years ago, the land of Hyrule was laid forgotten so deep in the ocean it was practically impossible to find by the means they had. The people in this game are descendants from the ones who survived the flooding, most of them forgot or haven't heard of the legend to know about Hyrule being somewhere underwater.
Yeah, right, like I'm going to believe that noone wrote about it and put it in textbooks that they'd likely read in school. Sorru, but that argument doesn't fly at all.

Again, we are dealing with the DESCENDANTS of the people of Hyrule. The flood happened YEARS ago, by the time Wind Waker took place everyone thought of the land of Hyrule AND the flood as a legend and nothing more. So basically if they go underwater they'll find nothing most probably due to the magical barrier surrounding Hyrule, making it invisible for everyone.

Really, if they can't see or find Hyrule underwater, how can they receed the flood. With what means too?
No, we are dealing with the people of Hyrule, no matter where they live.

Anyway, there would have been historical texts pertaining to the events, so basically, yeah, Ganon was doing the world a favor this time.

And how do you know he'll be overthrown? If Link failed in Wind Waker and the entire Triforce goes to Ganon then they'd be pretty much screwed. Sure, maybe centuries later another Link will be born or the Gods come back to do something about it, that is IF by that time the world will still be inhabitable with all the demons and monsters.
Ganon had the entire Triforce in "A Link to the Past" and still lost. Ganon would lose, otherwise there's be no series.

If he killed Link and Zelda before he'd take away the Triforce pieces from them, then he'd lose the pieces too until who knows when.

And yes, the world could've been much worse than the way it was in Wind Waker. At least the people were HAPPY. Seriously, I'd choose to live on those islands than have Hyrule come up and be at the mercy of monsters and an Evil King who can kill every single person in Hyrule by just looking at them.
Yeah, but he didn't even kill them after he got his hands on the Triforce pieces, so my argument still holds.

And I'd rather live on a contenent under ant conditions than on an island. Sharks and all manner of sea creatures roaming the oceans is no different than Big Poes roaming the fields.

That was a recommendation. Not an order.  

I have to agree with Keni on this one, WR. You may not like the game, however, you cannot tell him he cannot play the game. It's his choice, not yours.
Oh, bite me!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, bite me!
This is as close to harrassment as I need to see. :mad   Look for a PM.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Zelda's one of the best games to ever be played. I remember playing Link to the Past as a kid and never putting it down. Ahhh, memories. At least ol' Link's in SSB, and he rules in it. :D

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Zelda was one of the very first RPG's I got into and I'm glad I did :D. I didn't really think much of Zelda in its golden days (I still had my Sega Megadrive blinkers on at that age :lol ). Ocarina of Time for the N64 was the first one I got into and I loved it. From there, between me and my brother, we invested in the backlogs and caught up with the entire series from the beginning. A Link to the Past was my fav Zelda for Gameboy. I can't say I clicked too well with Majora's Mask...I admired the OOT mechanics transferred into a new Zelda scenario but I can't say it blew me away as much as its precedesor.

I guess I may be treading on thin ice when I say that I am one of the few that actually enjoyed the cel-shaded styled Wind Waker. Despite the heavy amount of stick it received, I thought the story was great because of how it tied itself in to OTT. Admitingly the cartoony style was a bit of a disturbance at times but I played it through regardless moreso as a lover of the series than a critic. As for Twilight Princess...i never thought OOT could be topped in my mind but TP did it for me. I thought it was a lot "darker" for a Zelda game but still, it lived up to all my expectations and exceled them :) I guess, the next one to look forward to is the Phantom Hourglass on DS...from what I've heard it's all positive so far so I have high hopes ;) (despite not owning a DS  :lol )

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Aug 23 2007 on  06:52 PM
A Link to the Past was my fav Zelda for Gameboy.
It's SNES. A Link to the Past was first released on the SNES, then I think it was re-released on the Game Boy Advance.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Aug 23 2007 on  07:01 PM
A Link to the Past was first released on the SNES, then I think it was re-released on the Game Boy Advance.
Beg your pardon...it's not A Link to the Past...it was Link's Awakening I was thinking of. The one with the Wind Fish I think.

That's embarrassing!  :bang  :unsure: And I call myself a LofZ fan!  :lol I throw myself on the mercy of the fan base!!!  :(  :DD

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hahaha, I'm sure it was an easy-to-make honest mistake. Actually, I haven't played hardly any Zelda games at all. I only own A Link to the Past and have played a borrowed copy of the original game from someone at school. However, I still consider A Link to the Past to be one of my all-time favorite games. One of these days, I'll have to think about getting Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I was checking out one of the issues of Nintendo Power and you wouldn't believe what I found.  In one of the letters a guy gave a strategy of how to make the final part of Ganondorf in Twilight Princess very easy.

As it turns out, the fishing rod you were given at the beginning is key to defeating him.  You see, the bait at the end of the hook tends to put a hypnotic spell on Ganondorf.  He just stands there mesmerised by it.  Now, if you quickly pull out the Master Sword, Ganondorf will still be under the hypnotic spell.  This in turn gives you the chance to quickly attack him with a few blows.  Repeat it, and it'll still work.  This makes an easy end to a boss that was so focused on being particularly hard to beat.  Trust me, the trick totally works.

Also guess what?  Because of this, Nintendo Power recalled all Twilight Princess Player's Guides just to add in this strategy that someone found.  Which might explain why you don't see any at your local video store anymore. :P:

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Heh heh! I played almost every Zelda game, except for the Link's Awakening and the Oracle of Ages ones.

If you ask me, the best Zelda game I played to date is that famous N64 Zelda game. Yup, I'm talking about the Ocarina of Time game. One of the most exciting adventures I've ever played (besides Wind Waker & Twilight Princess), but to me, the Ocarina of Time deserves my greatest honoric mention in this here thread. Why?

To start, it was my very first Zelda game I played, although I was starting to enter in the Zelda world, I was excited to finish the game. Then it was a whole challenge to finish all of the temples when Link grows up (it was very difficult to me then :^.^:). Finally when I find myself face to face with the most dreadful villains of all time, yup, it's Ganondorf (I like to call him Ganondork :lol). To be honest, I'd recommend any gamer to play this awesome game. If you didn't play Ocarina of Time, then you didn't live to play any other Zelda games.

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Sep 12 2007 on  01:04 PM
Hey guys, I was checking out one of the issues of Nintendo Power and you wouldn't believe what I found.  In one of the letters a guy gave a strategy of how to make the final part of Ganondorf in Twilight Princess very easy.

As it turns out, the fishing rod you were given at the beginning is key to defeating him.  You see, the bait at the end of the hook tends to put a hypnotic spell on Ganondorf.  He just stands there mesmerised by it.  Now, if you quickly pull out the Master Sword, Ganondorf will still be under the hypnotic spell.  This in turn gives you the chance to quickly attack him with a few blows.  Repeat it, and it'll still work.  This makes an easy end to a boss that was so focused on being particularly hard to beat.  Trust me, the trick totally works.

Also guess what?  Because of this, Nintendo Power recalled all Twilight Princess Player's Guides just to add in this strategy that someone found.  Which might explain why you don't see any at your local video store anymore. :P:
*Snickers* I know of that XD A friend of mine was fighting against Ganondorf and he discovered that little strategy by accident XD

Although either he was slow or wasn't as effective as they make it sound because he couldn't sneak in an easy hit before Ganondorf got to his senses. I find it a bit bizzare that Nintendo Power would recall their strategy guides of Twilight Princess just because of that O.o I don't quite believe that though, since I do see Twilight Princess strategy guides in the stores.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
lol i also read about that. Thoguh its just as easy to circle him and slash him when he misses with his kicks, or to just wait till he charges you.

This makes an easy end to a boss that was so focused on being particularly hard to beat.
Hes not that hard. I've beaten the stage of him in about a min and only getting hit once.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I have had the newest Zelda game, Phantom Hourglass, for the last few days, and I'll give how I feel about it so far.

Now, let me start by pointing out that this is a DS game that "abuses" the stylus.  Trying to move around with the control pad won't work.  Why?  Becuase you use the stylus to move.  In fact, the stylus commands the whole game.  The sword, bombs, bow, everything is activated by the stylus.  This kind of control takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, you can move along smoothly in the game.

As I have come to understand it, Phantom Hourglass takes place after Wind Waker.  You, as Link, (Who else did you expect to control? :P:) are sailing along smoothly on Tetra's Ship, when a mysterious Ghost Ship appears.  Believing there's treasure onboard, Tetra boards the ship.  However, the Ghost Ship starts to leave.  You jump as a vain attempt to save her, only to grab onto the edge and slip off, falling into the ocean.  You then later wake up on an island and you have one thing on your mind, saving Tetra.

Just like in Wind Waker, you have to go from island to island and collect the vast items nessacary to beat the evil and save Tetra.

It seems like a nice game so far, but using the stylus so much tends to hurt my hand.  Ignoring the pain isn't easy. -_-

I really do have a problem with how the stylus is being abused of it's use.  What in the world was wrong with using the control pad and buttons?  I really doubt this will get many positive reviews.

The boss battles prove to take quite a bit of strategy to pull off.  You really have to be on your toes in this game, or death is bound to be expected.

Well, that's all I'll say for now about it.

Anyone else here that have played it too? :)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
It looks like the type of Zelda game I wouldn't like. I've played A Link to the Past and I sure liked it, I've played the originalk and I liked it, and I'm sure I'd like Orcarina of Time or Twilight Princess if I played them, but this doesn't seem to be my type of game. Also, the plot, from what I've heard, sounds errily similar to "Wind Waker".

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
I also have Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, and yes everything is done by touch screen. It takes a little to get used to it, but once you get used to it it's smooth and very responsive. I finished the game and I love it! The game is so clever.

There are puzzles that you have to draw the entire map's outline to solve, draw certain symbols, and even close the DS top lid with your map open to press a symbol into the map (This one took a while for me to solve XD)

Gotta love Nintendo for their cleverness and uniqueness.

Actually, many many people praise Phantom Hourglass' control scheme, it's very responsible and smooth. The way it's used is very clever and innovative.

As for the boss battles, they are epic and take some strategy to beat them. But once you figure out the strategies the bosses are easy, but extremely fun.

The only thing I don't like about this game is that they reuse the same music for every island and dungeon. Not much diversity with the soundtrack.

Overall, a worthy entry to the Zelda franchise and one of the best DS games and one of them who uses the touch screen at its best. But dang, this game will kill your touch screen if you're too rough XD