The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My current news/events

Jrd89 · 16 · 2537

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Hello. :wave

This is my new "personal life news" thread, to replace "my sucky life/sucky current life situation <_<" Because I want a new/optimistic sounding title than that old, sad, depressing one. Because it doesn't stay "sucky and sad". It change as time goes on. :yes

Currently, I'm still at $8.25 an hour at the grocery store still bagging, putting carts away, and on some days, I do some cleaning chores in the afternoon/evening there. The busy season is slowing down and the Winter tourists are starting to go home back up North.  Still, i'm getting about 28-31 hours a week, which is not bad at all for a part-timer.

Health-wise, I need to work on cutting back on drinking so much soda, my mom says I have a gut on me, and that I drink way too much soda and need to slow down and not drink so much all the time. :( Yes. I weigh 213-214 pounds. :(  I need to really cut down on drinking so much soda every day. :(

Money-wise, it's still tight. I'm still hanging in there, but still earning only $8.25 an hour at 23 years old. (I still think i'm working for chicken-feed pay/nothing, and need some encouragement.

I know i'll have a different and MUCH better paying job sometime in the future. You know i'm not gonna settle for an $8.25/minumum wage job forever... come on! ;)

What's been getting me down (and i've said it before) is that I can't believe i'm approaching 24 years old, about to enter my mid 20's and still make a lousy $8 an hour part time, and think that i'm a loser/nobody. Sometimes I think "Oh God Jared, you're gonna be 24, and you're working for chicken feed pay at $8.25 an hour. bagging groceries/putting carts away/cleaning floors/bathrooms... You blew it! You're a loser/nobody.":(

This is what I should think in my head:

"Jared, it will get better in the future for you, you are not a loser, don't feel so sad, down, depressed, and feel that you're worthless/working for nothing. Be happy of what you might become/do in the future ;), and not be all bummed down or feel useless/pathetic about what you're doing right now. It'll get better."

"Things change in time, Jared. Don't be so sad. You can be somebody if you apply yourself. You won't be bagging/working at a grocery store forever. This is only a "starter" job. You'll have a much better job(s) and be earning a lot more money in the future than what you're getting right now. Don't feel like you're worthless and that you blew it. You haven't. You're a really smart guy. This grocery job is just temporary. Things will get better. You will be a better person and have a better job in your future. Think positive." ;)

And that's what I need to do. Keep positive. I'm a good, smart guy. I'm no loser.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You can set goals for yourself. Many folks go to college or a trade school.  Try to give yourself positive thoughts to counter the more negative ones.  Harder to do, especially at first.  Though if you keep at it it should get easier over time.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Many people have it worse off than you.  I know several people in their 40's and 50's making $7.50/hour because they can't find anything else.  You shouldn't complain about being under 25 and making about minimum wage, because that's normal.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Try to give yourself positive thoughts to counter the more negative ones. Harder to do, especially at first. Though if you keep at it it should get easier over time.

Good advice, Kor. Yes. :) That's something I need to remember to do. Keep positive thoughts in my head to counter my negative ones. ;) Good thinking.  Of course it'll be hard at first. But as time goes on, it'll be easier to do.

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Hi, Jared. My name is Dan. I'm new here, but nice to meet you! :D

About the soda, trust me, giving it up will be the best thing that ever happened to you :yes .When I was 19, I weighed 183 pounds. However, I gave up soda cold turkey after hearing other people talk about how it adds alot of weight (mostly due to the high sugar content as well as the fact that pretty much anything carbonated dehydrates you). Anyway, After drinking mostly water for a couple months (a little milk or juice here and there, but mostly water), I started to see an improvement. Exercising at least once a week also helped to speed up my weight loss and metabolism. Ever since Fall 2011, my weight has been fluctuating between 158 and 164. I'm a pretty short guy, standing at only a mere 5 feet 5 inches tall.  :p

About your job, I think it's time to find a new one. Home Depot pays about 11 per hour ;) , in Texas at least. Also, depending on how many raises you get and how nice your boss is. At least that's what I would do  :rolleyes:

If you ever wanna talk to me or vent out your problems to someone, feel free message me anytime. :)

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^You're about my height, Dan :)

@Jrd: I'm wokring part time at DD (definitely subject to change once I get my degree :p) but still, I'm making about $9.50 an hour there, so a part-time job a good place to start. At least until you find something better... Have you given nannying or babysitting a thought? That pays excellent money and it's cash. I know several guys who nanny as well, so it's not strictly a "girl thing" :) I was offered a sitting job (heh, sitting...) that pays about $10 an hour for about four or five hours.
I would suggest though, getting into a community college - where I am now and from where I will be leaving soon, muahahaa!! And you can get financial aid if your courses meet the requirements.
Go for it, Jared! Carpe diem, yaaaaahhh!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good Luck! :)

I hope you'll find a better job soon

It's indeed better to think positive( e.g. you could say:" Hey! At least I HAVE a job!"  :exactly )
Inactive, probably forever.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
*As some of you have already noticed in the "how are you feeling" thread, I figured i'd post it here, too.*

Our old house in Michigan, after 3 years on the market..has officially sold. It's a done deal. Mom and dad signed the papers earlier this week. :D

I WILL still be getting the money back that they owe me, just "In pieces", not all at once.  I will be getting it back though. Don't worry.

:)  I feel fantastic. Now, for me there'll be more saving and less "having to loan out".  I haven't had this feeling since 2007, and I'm very happy :D

**: ( I'm sorry for all the trouble I may have given you in some of my posts in the past about this topic. It really sucked. It was terrible. It was a nightmare.  I'm sorry for my complaining and whining to you guys about this.**

:D It feels so awesome! Now my savings can grow steadily once again! (The first time since 2007 for me, guys.)  I have every right to be happy about this finally happening.

Goodbye house in Michigan. FINALLY. >_< MAJOR relief! My parents are no longer "anchored down" by constantly having to pay bills on a house we don't even live in anymore.

It took 3 years to sell our house from the time it went up for sale, to the time it finally sold/reached a deal with the new owners, but the point is, it's FINALLY sold. Mission accomplished. After 20 years of living in it (November 1990- July 2010) and 23 years of being associated with it (November 1990-August 2013)

:) Be happy for me, guys.  this is HUGE financial weight off of my family's shoulders. :)

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
That's good news, and I hope this will make you happy again.
I hate capitalism, it causes people to suffer for no reason.
But now you have one less worry with it. :)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This day is starting with really good news. Thank you, Jared!

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
That's great Jared, I'm glad you finally got rid of that darn house  :p And even though you're getting your money back from your parents in parts, at least you'll still be getting it.
I'm happy for you  :)

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's good to hear, Jared! Hope you can start saving up some money now.

Also, sorry I haven't been around much at all lately. Just been too busy.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looks like things have improved for you, congrats.  & good luck on them continuing to be good and improving.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
:celebrate Today i'm happy to announce that I now have another LBT movie. I got the "2 Dino-Mite Movies" double-feature DVD, containing movies 3 and 4. (I already have "Great Giving", but I didn't have "Journey Through The Mists" .) and I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to own one of the most talked about sequels here. :) so I GOT it. :)  ($7.99 at Best Buy.)

Now I have the original, "The Great Valley Adventue", "Time Of The Great Giving", "Journey Through The Mists", "The Secret Of Saurus Rock", "The Stone Of Cold Fire", and "The Big Freeze".  That's more than half, guys!

Personally, I think I've got enough LBT movies, and "The Mysterious Island" personally, is the only movie I don't have, that would be worth getting.

(So, except for "The Mysterious Island", I now own the original +  ALL of the sequels that were released when I was a boy. *before I turned 13.*)  That's awesome!  :DD

I'm very happy that I have "Journey Through The Mists" now. :yes  

I've got a bunch of LBT movies now. You think i've got enough? :yes I do.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is great.  I have the double feature dvd ones also.  Neat to have 2 movies on 1 dvd.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Sorry for my lack of posts lately. I've looked back on my posts in the past couple of years, and in that time, i've written more negative, angry, ranting, pessimistic, and frustrating threads and posts than friendly and positive ones.

I want to keep a goal of not writing any more negative/ranting/angry posts, and continue to try and keep positive in my gof posts and threads.