The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Just started getting into Doctor Who.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Without doubt.

SPeaking of The Doctor, who would you all love to see take over for Matt Smith after 2014 comes and goes? Personally, I'd love Tom Hiddleston to be the 12th Doctor.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I really wouldn't know.
But with all the talk of a woman playing the Doctor, I'm definitely picky, mostly because I imagine that a female Doctor would be a LOT like Miss Frizzle from the Magic School Bus. Kooky with a really obscure fashion sense but awesome.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Eh, let's keep The Doctor a guy. If they want to have a surviving Time Lady having adventures, then BBC is welcome to that.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There is always Romana, and I think in some books and big finish audio there is Iris Wildthyme.  The big finish one , I heard is voiced by Katy Manning.  I've not listened to any of them.  I heard she travels in a tardis shaped like a double decker bus.

I wonder who long he'll stay the doctor, most stayed for around 3 seasons.  A few like Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, stayed longer.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Not to mention Susan...she's the one character now that I really want to see returning.
Time to go back for her, Doctor.
For an episode like that, it would be pretty epic to see some flashbacks to the previous show, with the references to the Doctor being a father and grandfather, and his goodbye scene to Susan.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Matt Smith will be staying at least until the end of 2014.

I'd love for Susan to turn up alive and well as well, just so the poor Doc can be thrown a frikkin' bone for once.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm trying to work on a fanfiction or something where he finds her in Jamestown's Starving Time (a point I'd like to see on Doctor Who in general), having done the ol' Time Lord-essence-into-fob-watch thing, and is nearly dying from sickness. Then the Doctor has to find her watch and save her.

My idea is that while she was healthy, she traded her fob watch with the Natives for food and the Doctor has to get it back from them, but they're far more reluctant than he thought they'd be. Enter Pocahontas.
I think the best part about is that he couldn't say he's John Smith, 'cuz then they'd be looking at him saying "Noooo, John Smith got shot in the leg and went back to England a year ago, you don't even look like him".

In the end, he does get it back somehow, and even gets Susan to regenerate.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is some debate I've read about concerning Susan, if she could regenerate or not, and being from Galifrey if she'd live longer then David, I think his name is.  Though with classic dr who they came up with some silly or unbelievable reasons for some companions to leave.  

Of the reasons, some of them have made sense.  Like Ben & Polly, finding out they had returned to I think, the day after they had left with the first doctor and deciding to stay.

& with Ace, some of the production staff, & I think the actress too herself, have said if the show had continued that she would have left during the following season after Survival to enroll in the time lord academy.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That is a good point, I think one of the reasons why the Doctor brought Susan with him when he stole the TARDIS was to protect her from the academy or something.

Regardless, there have been some comics where they reunited, in which she and David had adopted three children because they had struggled to have one of their own, but soon did, and there was difficulty deciding if he should go to the Academy or not.

Which might suggest that Susan may have gained knowledge of the Time War. My guess is that the Doctor, before blowing everyone to atoms of atoms, tried to get her to get out before she had the same fate, but never found out if she actually did leave or not, nor could he find her anywhere.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Your fanfic idea sounds like a work of pure genius, Ptyra. Do it. Seriously.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It would definitely need a bit of work.
I even considered Romana being there with Susan, having "half wiped" her Time Lady-ness, so that she would age like a human, but still had all her memories. But I don't think she would have let Susan trade her watch for food.

My biggest question for it is how DOES the Doctor get the watch back from the Native Americans? Because I want that to be the "tough part" of the story, for the Doctor to explain to them why the watch is so important to him.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Other time lords with their own Tardises are Drax (his was not shown on camera), and the Meddling Monk (not seen since The Dalek Masterplan, forgot which episode he was in) it was his 2nd and last appearance.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The Master had his own TARDIS too. It showed up as a mobile home in Terror of the Autons

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Though from what I heard on the podcasts he's been in quite  a few episodes of the current series.   So his fate is known, not that of the others, unless they were mentioned in some dialog or something not mentioned in the podcasts I listen to.

I heard they originally wanted the Doctor's tardis to change appearance, but realized they would not have the budget to do so, since the BBC gave them a tiny budget back then.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The excuse they came up with was pretty good, and in one of those cases, it ended up being a pretty good move that it was "stuck". It was a good way to keep it alive, and remind us now and them that there was such a thing of police boxes...

Which actually had a funny scene in the Sarah Jane Adventures where she ended up going back in time to see her dead parents, and thought that an actual police box was the TARDIS...and when she's calling for the Doctor, out comes a police officer  :lol !

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, the chameleon circuit got stuck and the doctor didn't get around to trying to fix it till number 6.  I've not seen that story since the early 80's.  As I recall it did change it's shape into various things then went back to it's familiar shape.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can really imagine why they put it back, I don't think it would have been the best move with the fans XD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, and it was a recognized image and trademark of the show.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Which is probably why they pretty much had to put the police box back.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, I'm rezzing this topic. Since I started this one several months ago, I've seen many more episodes of both the old and new series. I've seen every episode of the Revived series, but only a few of the Classic Doctors. Thus far of the Classics, I've seen:

1st Doctor: An Unearthly Child, Dalek, The Edge of Destruction, The Aztecs, and The Web Planet. Don't watch Web Planet. Just don't.

2nd Doctor: Tomb of the Cybermen, The Mind Robber, and The War Games.

3rd Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Terror of the Autons, Carnival of Monsters, The Three Doctors, and The Planet of the Spiders.

4th Doctor: Robot, The Ark in Space, Genesis of the Daleks, Horror of Fang Rock, The Deadly Assassin, The Pyramids of Mars, The Pirate Planet, The City of Death, The Horns of Nimon (wtf were they thinking?), The Planet of Evil, The Talons of Weng Fang, and Logopolis.

5th Doctor: Castrovalva, Kinda, The Visitation, Snakedance, Earthshock ( :cry ), Warriors of the Deep (unfortunately), The Five Doctors, and The Caves of Androzani.

6th Doctor: The Twin Dilemma, The Mark of the Rani, Terror of the Vervoids (man vs. killer wacky weed), and The Two Doctors.

7th Doctor: Time and the Rani, Remembrance of the Daleks, The Happiness Patrol (wtf? Just...just wtf?), Delta and the Bannermen ( :blink: ), Battlefield, The Curse of Fenric, and Survival.

8th Doctor: Well, the only thing of his there is to see unless you invest in "Big Finish": The TV Movie. It was entertaining, but very flawed.

I've also seen the two films adaptation of "Dalek" and "Dalek Invasion of Earth" from the 1960s, starring Peter Cushing as...*sigh* Doctor Who. As in his name WAS Doctor WHO and he was human (!!). Oh, and I've also seen Dimensions in Time ( :bang ) and K-9 and Company ( :x ). I tried Torchwood out and found it a little too...um, how to keep this G-Rated? ...Heated, for my tastes. I liked the Sarah Jane Adventures, though.

So far I think I've seen just enough that I 'get' each Doctor, and I think I know who my favorites are. Now I'm going to come straight out and let everyone know that I know that The Doctor has never been played by a bad actor, and that they're all delightful chaps. All of them.

My Favorite Doctors, Most-to-Least:

1. 10th (my first Doctor)
2-4. 3rd, 4th, and 7th tied, coming in very close behind 10. This is cheating, I know, but I just couldn't choose.
5. 5th
6. 11th
7. 9th
8. 2nd
9. 8th (I'd put this guy higher, but we never really get know this guy in his one movie. Poor Paul McGann)
10. 1st Doctor
11. 6th Doctor (I know Colin Baker is not to blame and that it was the network that screwed him with a fashion vomit and bad writing, but dang was the 6th Doctor was a jerk. It's to Baker's credit that he was likeable at all.)

I'm going to keep collecting episodes, but man, BBC is not making it easy to get my hands on anything that was made before 2005.