The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Worse Movie You Have Ever Seen

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: InlÈ-rah,Dec 6 2004 on  10:36 PM
I don't think the Star Wars prequel movies thus far are that bad: they have their good and bad points, like all movies.  The lightsaber duel with Darth Maul was wicked awesome, and the foreshadowing at the end of AOTC is the best!  I have them both on DVD, along with the original trilogy.  I'm a Star Wars nut :D
*nods* They're ok, it's just that when you're so used to the original triology and all of a sudden 30 years later when the technology is that much better someone tries to make prequels they don't flow together as they should, you know. ;)

I still plan to see Ep3 when it comes out to see how it all works together in the end. :)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That ending Malte, appears in the extended version DVD, along with the final scenes with Saruman.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I was talking of a different end for Denethor, not for the movie in general. For all I know they made a scene for ROTK in which Wormtongue throws Saruman down from the balcony of Orthanc (must be more difficult to throw wizards rather than Palanthiers  ;) ) I'm really looking forward to the special extended edition of ROTK which will be released here on December 10th. It's high up on my Christmas wishlist.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I was refering to Denethors end Malte
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You were?  :blink:  But that would mean that they really made changes about the movie from the way it was shown in the cinemas. So far they just added new scenes in the special extended editions. Are you really sure about it?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They made several different endings for  Denethor. Jackson simply choose the one that ended the most spectacularly.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I sure hope they have a more booklike variant on the extended edition. I found the Denethor from the books much better than the Denethor from the movie. It almost seems like they wanted him to come across as a bad guy. The movie story about the light fires of Gondor is just another example.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Worse movie I seen... mmm it has to be... metor.

Where a rock hits the ground but after long boring zzzz talking and non basic actions. zzzz nothing good about the first parts.

I like space, history, sience fiction and many others but this one old film take the zzzz out of you almost killing you with bordom. Only great part is the rock hitting LA or was it New York... can't remember

-Threehorn

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
To make a probatum film version of the entire trilogy would cost an astronomical amount( the New Line Trilogy cost $300 million). All in all, most LOTR fans were extremely happy with the films. Athough some would have liked to see Tom Bombadil, or in your case,  the Denethor from the book, no film is perfect.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I sure agree on that Nick, and I certainly didn't mean to slander this awesome movie.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Don't mind but not my taste the first LOTR. the second one and thrid one are much much more better!

-Threehorn

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No Problem Malte. Threehorn, the first film served as the introduction, it began the story. With the second and third films, you already knew the characters, so you didn't need to be introduced.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
TTT was the only dale one for me. RotK and FotR were a joy to watch for me, on the other hand. TTT was just SO not LotR, it was disgusting.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've never read any of the Tolkien books so I really have no idea how close they (the films) are to the books or not.  :unsure:  The movies sure seemed quite nice in my opinion, but I've nothing to compare them to.  :p

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, all the films were good, even TTT, but I was very disgusted with now far from Tolkien it got.

When it came to the themes of the story, 'Fellowship' was the closest. When it came to what the characters were going, what was said, and what was happening, 'Return of the King' was closest. The first half of 'Two Towers' was very much the book, but the last half went so far from the book that it was disgusting.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Which changes in the Two towers were those which you disliked in particular Drew? One thing I mourned about the second half of it was that Faramir (like his father) appeared less like a good guy in the movie. However, they do have a point when they say that it would sort of disenchant the power of the ring if they presented him just like he appeared in the book (he says something to the effect that he would not pick up the ring even if he found it laying beside the road). Then again it would have been nice to have another really thoroughly good human (with Aragorn being the other one).
The battle of Helm's deep was varried a bit from the books (Erkenbrandt's job was done by Eomer for example), and the wood of ents and Huorns was only in the extended edition.
But which points did you dislike in particular?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
1. The butchering of Faramir's character. (I hated how Jackson made everyone less of what they were, and yet, somehow, still managed to make a great triloy.)
2. The retardation of Treebeard. (The Ents were slow to speak, but not slow of mind.)
3. The Aragorn/Eoqyn/Arwen love trilogy. (Don't even get me started.)
4. The Redusion of Eomor's character. (Why?)
5. The redusion of Hama's character. (Again, why did they do that? He could have been at the wall like the book, instead of poor Haldir.)
6. How Frodo is much, MUCH less of what he was in the books.
7. How they tried to make Gollum a sympathetic character. I'm sorry, but a guy who murders his own cousin for a piece of gold is not worthy of my sympathies.
8. How they tried to make Grima Wormtongue a sympathetic character.
9. How they made Theoden a stubborn, resentful jerk, instead of the kind soul he was in the books. I'm glad they allowed his true nature to surface in 'Return of the King'.
10. The fact that Frodo held a sword to Sam's throat. Something he, in the books, never even dreamed of doing, even when he was, more or less, the Ring's.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some people will love some films that others will hate. I know that evenyone should know that by fact

-Threehorn

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You mention a lot of changes that made the film different than the book.

I think I've said this before, but there is no way a film can replace the book, it cannot happen.  They can come close, but something will always be left out or changed to make it work on the screen.  It's very very hard to compare a book where one uses different thought processes to understand what is going on, from that of a film.  ;)   Thus, if you read the book before seeing the film, most everyone makes the opinion of "the book was better" simply because one cannot interpret a detailed text in the same way as a film.