The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Little Pony Gen 5

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Any high hopes? I have no idea how I'll feel about it, but I've promised myself I'll keep an open mind simply because MLP:FiM was such a pleasant surprise back in 2010. I know there's a G4.5 show coming, but I think it goes without saying that Gen 5 will be receiving its own series, and that is the one I'm more curious about.

But what about you guys?

And yes, I am making this a separate topic because its Gen 5, not FiM-related.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
I'm not too sure about how things will go, but take this as a pinch of salt coming from someone who only knows about this series on a superficial level.

FiM was the MLP reboot series that started a phenomenon... like, seriously, a huge cultural phenomenon. I'm not sure if lightning can be captured twice, but I suspect that expectations will be high given the success of G4 outside of its target demographic. Some people will thus inevitably set themselves up for disappointment as they have honed their own personal expectations for how the new series will be like, so whether or not Hasbro listens to the fans there will be dissenters no matter what.

Also, there's the fact that this is a continuity reboot to begin with. This may or may not go well given that humans are resistant to change, and to see the characters they've known for a decade reimagined for a new generation might be okay for some, but may also turn off other staunch G4 fans who will not give it a chance.

On the other hand, I also suspect there will always be the actual demographic who won't care for the quality and possible flame wars I already foresee, but it's really too early to tell. Hasbro probably knows a lot is at stake and likely want to capture that peripheral demographic again, but as I said, I'm taking a very outside view of this whole ordeal. :)
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not too sure about how things will go, but take this as a pinch of salt coming from someone who only knows about this series on a superficial level.

FiM was the MLP reboot series that started a phenomenon... like, seriously, a huge cultural phenomenon. I'm not sure if lightning can be captured twice, but I suspect that expectations will be high given the success of G4 outside of its target demographic. Some people will thus inevitably set themselves up for disappointment as they have honed their own personal expectations for how the new series will be like, so whether or not Hasbro listens to the fans there will be dissenters no matter what.

Also, there's the fact that this is a continuity reboot to begin with. This may or may not go well given that humans are resistant to change, and to see the characters they've known for a decade reimagined for a new generation might be okay for some, but may also turn off other staunch G4 fans who will not give it a chance.

On the other hand, I also suspect there will always be the actual demographic who won't care for the quality and possible flame wars I already foresee, but it's really too early to tell. Hasbro probably knows a lot is at stake and likely want to capture that peripheral demographic again, but as I said, I'm taking a very outside view of this whole ordeal. :)
Yeah, the fan blacklash is definitely the part I'm not looking forward to. No matter how good the end result of what Hasbro is working on ends up being, the transition is going to be so much harder than it needs to be.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
I’m done with MLP in general, so Gen 5 is no longer a concern or interest of mine. But, I will check out the Season 10 comics online when they’re released, because it’s going to tackle certain ideas and topics that I’m eager to know about, such as Zecora’s homeland.

I searched “my Little Pony Gen 5” into the Google search bar and got a Change.org petition to cancel Gen 5 MLP as the third search result down. Despite that seemingly being a minority of people, you can already tell that fans are already displeased. I’m surprised how it’s the third search result, it doesn’t look like it gets a lot of traffic.

It is sad indeed, but change is something people are resistant to, me myself included. But people should be willing to give it a chance first.

If anyone wants to see the webpage for any reason, here it is: https://www.change.org/p/hasbro-cancel-mlp-gen-5

The petition was made 10 months ago, gained 100 supporters since 2 months ago, and has a current number of 153 signatures out of the intended goal of 200.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:43:14 PM by ImpracticalDino »

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
All I can really say on this matter is that we simply won't have anything to go on until we get our first glimpse of the movie that is due to come out in late 2021 (I forget the exact date, but I know there is one), since that movie is intended to serve as essentially the introduction for the Gen 5 series (whatever it'll be called).

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
According to this article, it is set for release on September 24, 2021. The article also shows a list of other movies planned by Paramount to be released in the same year, so check them out if any of you are interested.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I’m done with MLP in general, so Gen 5 is no longer a concern or interest of mine. But, I will check out the Season 10 comics online when they’re released, because it’s going to tackle certain ideas and topics that I’m eager to know about, such as Zecora’s homeland.

I searched “my Little Pony Gen 5” into the Google search bar and got a Change.org petition to cancel Gen 5 MLP as the third search result down. Despite that seemingly being a minority of people, you can already tell that fans are already displeased. I’m surprised how it’s the third search result, it doesn’t look like it gets a lot of traffic.

It is sad indeed, but change is something people are resistant to, me myself included. But people should be willing to give it a chance first.

If anyone wants to see the webpage for any reason, here it is: https://www.change.org/p/hasbro-cancel-mlp-gen-5

The petition was made 10 months ago, gained 100 supporters since 2 months ago, and has a current number of 153 signatures out of the intended goal of 200.
I doubt that petition will do any good. There's simply too much money to be lost not innovating the product at this point for Hasbro.
I'm going to give G5 a chance, as stated, because I was pleasantly surprised last time when G4 came out.

Daddytops2021

• Chomper
    • View Profile
'm going to give G5 a chance, as stated, because I was pleasantly surprised last time when G4 came out.
same hee
Raoul: (voiceover): What is this? A Triceratops? A grocery store with, and… He’s got hot dogs? Subways?