Beyond the Mysterious Beyond > The Fridge

2024 Solar Eclipse

(1/4) > >>

The Chronicler:
Next Monday will be the day of a total solar eclipse that will pass through much of North America, from central Mexico, through the eastern United States, and up to the Atlantic region of Canada.

If you'd like to know how much of the eclipse you'll get to see from where you are, here's an interactive map I came across:
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2024_GoogleMapFull.html
Just click on any point on the map and a box will come up showing exact times (UTC) to the second for that specific location when the eclipse begins, reaches maximum, and ends (as well as when totality begins and ends for locations within the path of totality).

My family and I happen to be lucky enough to live within the path of totality for this eclipse, but since we would like to gather in one place for the rare event, we have decided we will watch the eclipse from my brother's home rather than where I live, because he lives a little further north and will get three minutes of totality instead of just two minutes where I live. Even though it's typically only a half-hour drive and the eclipse won't happen until mid afternoon, we're planing to leave early in the morning so we won't have to worry too much about traffic. Best of all, the weather forecast for that day in our area is currently looking very favorable for clear skies, so let's hope that doesn't change.

Mumbling:
Enjoy the eclipse, folks! I won't be in America for it, sadly. Perhaps next time in Alaska :P

Be safe!

f-22 "raptor" ace:
not in an area where it'll be visible really.

The Chronicler:
Well, looks like my family has a slight change of plans. My sister and her boyfriend were initially not going to join us because they had work on that day (they live too far south outside the path of totality). Well, turns out they will be able to visit on that day, but my place is as far north as they're willing to go to avoid getting into too much traffic on their way back after the eclipse ends.

So now I find myself with a choice to make. Do I go with my parents (and some other relatives) to my brother's house and risk getting stuck in traffic just to experience an additional minute of totality? Or should I just stay where I am, where my sister and her boyfriend will be, and take the opportunity to watch a total solar eclipse from literally my own backyard? Going with the first option means I get to experience this special moment with much of my family, while going with the second option means I get to experience this special moment from the house where I've lived for practically my entire life. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, so I'll really need to think about this choice over the next few days.

Serris:
I am driving up to northern New York either Saturday or Sunday to see the eclipse.

I have the filters, a tripod and an SD card to capture the pictures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version