The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Name is Bongo. Never heard of me?

Bongo · 23 · 2959

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hey guys, my name is Bongo (Don't ask about the name, its just a nickname I got) and all I can say is, lets get started!

Now before I talk anymore, I would like to say I do tend to write long, LONG posts and paragraphs, so I don't accept the excuse of TL;DR (Too Long;Didn't Read), so bare with me  :lol:

Now lets see, it all began back when I was four years old. Ah the memories. It was a simpler time when parents talked to you in three word scentences, the 'nutritional' baby food tasted like garbage, and T.V. was so bright and colorful it hurt your eyes. I used to watch a ton of movies back when I was four years old. One of them being Don Bluth's The Land Before Time. Since everything good about the film has been said, all I will say is, it changed by life forever. When I was little, I saw it for its action and witty characters. As I got older, I got to appreciate its story, visuals, and heart warming moments. When the second movie came out, I naturally bought it. It sucked in my opinion.  :lol Third came out. Same thing. Fourth; Fifth; Sixth, yeesh  :rolleyes . I stopped at film number 9, Journey to Big Water. I don't know if it was my biased opinion, but I just did not like the movies. True, I used to like them as a kid, but when I got older, most of it is either so-so or bad.

After the ninth movie, I entered a sort of hibernation state, where I moved on fromThe Land Before Time because, due to my age, thought it was 'uncool' and 'a silly children movie' and forgot about it for NINE YEARS!  :o ! That is right! Nine years I have been away from Land Before Time! What have I done in those nine years I was away? Well, I did school, got friends, saw the new entertainment coming out at the time, and was (and is still working for that) graduating from College, getting into a good university, and finding a degree in either the Medical or Engineering field, and then work on from there.

However, once I got out of my 'tween age' (Ages 9-12); the 'tween age' was a time when I considered old stuff boring and childhood memories a thing for babies;, well, anyways, once I got out of my tween age and reached being an early teenager. My teenage years was like a renaissance to my childhood. At that age, I started to stop listening to what people have to say about me and what I should do and started to think for myself. While in my tween years, what someone said was cool, Ithought was cool. If someone didn't like what I liked, I changed what I liked to what that person liked. However, once I reached my teenage years, I began to think and ponder about other people's opinions. It suddenly flashed to me that it is my opinion and no one is going to change it!

*Cue dramatic adventure music  :smile  * I hurried up to my attic. So many years of nostalgic feeling stood up there, cold, alone, and abandoned. Up there, I was searching for anything from my old past; a record player my dad used to own, old and classic vinyl records, old toys I used to play with, computer games, movies, pictures, anything! I embraced it al like a long lost friend, and then I started to appreciate the past. (Not the PAST-past. Just the past, like around 1900s to today), so I started liking anything old, especially from the 20s, 50s, and 80s.

Then, jump back two weeks ago, on January 8, 2011. I got Netflix for the first time, and I started using the Instant-Play feature on the website. I watched classics such as The Terminator, The Wizard of Oz, and many more. Then I came across a title that I have not seen in a long time; Don Bluth's The Land Before Time. I dismissed it quickly (Shame on me  :bang ) remembering the corny musical sequals. A week later, I began to think about the movie. The original, the one created by Don Bluth, the one that has touched the hearts of many children.

Finally, overcoming whatever went though my mind, I made a bag of popcorn and grabbed some Coca-Cola, and sat in front of my computer , watching 70 minutes of my good childhood flood back into my brain. It was like taking something that makes you feel good without the bad side effects of that thing.

Then I remembered the sequals. I knew they were out there on the internet, but I felt a tingle on the back of my neck that said "No! Akwardness! Remember the akwardness!", so instead of watching the movies, I did the next thing I could do; find the Wikia Page and read about it. So I typed up 'Land Before Time Wikia', and I landed on the Land Before Time Wiki, and MAN, have things changed! Last thing I remember was Mo and Littlefoot's adventures to get him back to the ocean! Now we have these other dinosaur thrown in! Thanks to the Wiki, I learned about as much as I could from what I missed from my nine year hybernation. Then, I discovered The Gang of Five on the wiki, so I lurked around the forums and then finally decided to join the forums today on January 22, 2011  :wave

Now for a little bio of myself, I am 15 years old, and don't let my age fool you. Just because I am a teenager doesn't mean I am like the rest. I tend to be on the more mature side and like to let my creativity and nostalgic past flow freely. I am also Asian. Philipino in fact, from the great third world countryof the Philipines! Strangly enough, in all my years of living in the United States and living in a Philipino family, I never really learned tagalog (my homeland's language)  :o . Also, I leanred that in my family tree, especially my father's side, the men tend to be Marines. Yes, my Great Grandfather was a mechanic repairing vechicles, my Grandfather fought in the Pacific during WWII and even survived the Bataan Death March, and my father just did training. He was about to be shiped off to war in the Middle East, but then I came along  :lol . Strangly enough, I am the last person in line of my family. Thats right. My mother and father only had one child; me. I know I make my own future for myself, but it is strange to know that your family has been a Marine Family for generations and that you are not going to be a Marine. Plus, my parents always joke about "Ok son, it is your turn to pass on the <INSERT LAST NAME HERE> family genes". No joke! I traced my family tree, and I am the last hope for my generation to be passed on! kinda makes you think, doesn't it?  :DD .

Well, now that I am here, and wow, it took me 45 minutes to write this post! And this is just the HELLO forum!  :lol ! Well, I guess I will try and post my upcoming story on the FanFiction section, even though FanFiction.net is starting to bug me with all these regulations  :( (Can't they just let most of our creativity roam? Isn't that what writing is all about? Sure, we ahev to have rules, but we also need creativity) and I hope on having a productive time here on the forums!

Needless to say, its great to be a fan with LBT again! Woohoo!  :birthday

PS: If you said TL;DR, then all my work has gone to waste  :slap

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Instead of saying TL;DR, I'll take my time to read it.

First of all, your name reminds me of the Disney movie :)

Now for a little bio of myself, I am 15 years old, and don't let my age fool you. Just because I am a teenager doesn't mean I am like the rest. I tend to be on the more mature side and like to let my creativity and nostalgic past flow freely.

Ah! Same here. Well, I'm 17 but was different when I joined at the age of 14 as well. Having your own opinion and reliving things of your childhood is not a bad thing to do when you're a teenager. It makes you special in your own way and gives you a much stronger character. You will find that this forum is also very mature, so you'll fit in just right :)

Welcome to the Gang of Five! There is a section in which you can post your fanfiction up (if you want to do that of course), check it out here: http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...php?showforum=8. I don't usually check out fanfiction myself, but there are many here that do. I certainly hope you enjoy yourself and stay for a long time with us :) :wave

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum.  You have definetly put a lot of effort into your bio that could rival other member's in their own welcome threads.  At least you can post fanfiction here, even if I don't read it myself, other people I'm sure would love to read your's.  Hope you like it here, it is a good forum to be at.:)

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks Mumbling for those kind, welcoming words. I am sure I will have an enjoyable stay here

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum Bongo. Always good to have new members joining..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bongo,Jan 22 2011 on  08:03 PM
Thanks Mumbling for those kind, welcoming words. I am sure I will have an enjoyable stay here
You may also call me Iris if that's easier, most people call me Iris here :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Welcome with us Bongo :)
It is always a pleasure to welcome new members to our community. Please feel hearty invited to join our discussions or start threads of your own :yes
Wow, this was a very thorough introductory post. Same as you I had that kind of "LBT hibernation" in my life but for me it was after the original (by which I was really taken back then when it was in the cinemas) before I ever saw the sequels.
It is really interesting to hear about your family too. I'm extremely interested in history. Did your grandfather tell you a lot about his experiences in WW2?

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well, since he is old (In his 90s now), he usually likes to just sleep, eat some bread and watch TV. However, when he is in a good mood, he likes to share stories of his time in war. In fact, he said that when he passes on, he will leave his vintage M1 Carbine, badges, and war knife to me! :wow

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
A few days ago my grandpa celebrated his 91st birthday. I have very often talked with him about the times he saw. I actually did several interviews with him and my grandma which I recorded so those who come later will still be able to hear what he said. I don't want to sound macabre, but I can only appeal to everyone here who is lucky to still have grandparents who have seen that time to talk to them, to ask them, maybe even to interview them and record what they tell. There is a sad clishee (depicted in many Simpson episodes) about grandparents talking with nobody listening. But soon there will be nobody left to tell about those times. We are the last generation that has a chance to talk to people who have still seen this horrible time in human history and I hope that many of us are using this chance and may be able to pass on a little of what they have been told.

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
I know. We should be grateful that we still have living memories of past wars. Objects only tell the structural damadge. Stories tell the internal damadge of the soul.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
YAY! ANOTHER PERSON THAT WRITES LLLLOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNG PARAGRAPHS AND POSTS!!!! YAY!!!! :smile :D :) :celebrate

That's great that you learned as young as you have to not allow what people say affect you.

Anyhow, welcome to the forums! :wave

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
HAHAHA!!! Rat_Lady7, you just made my day  :lol

And thanks for the welcome  :wave

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, that's one LONG post. Anyhoo hello Bongo! I hope you have an awesome time on GOF! :wave

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I had an eight year long "LBT hibernation". I rediscovered LBT in February 2010, but I joined this forum just recently. There are other members here who had even longer periods of "hibernation". But silly me! This is your introduction thread. So welcome to the GOF and have a blast!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Yay! Another talker! :DD Just a few days ago I was telling the last new person to join how much we (I, at least) appreciate people who are willing to tell us about themselves. :! It makes it so much easier (and more fun) to connect with new members that way.

To answer your question in the title of this thread, I best know “bongo” as the name of a striped red-and-white antelope from the rainforests of equatorial Africa. :p (Sorry; I couldn’t resist saying it. :P:)

Anyhow, welcome to the greatest (in terms of both size and quality) LBT fan forum on the Web! :smile Make yourself at home! :D

Quote from: Bongo,Jan 22 2011 on  01:23 PM
After the ninth movie, I entered a sort of hibernation state, where I moved on fromThe Land Before Time because, due to my age, thought it was 'uncool' and 'a silly children movie' and forgot about it for NINE YEARS! :o ! That is right! Nine years I have been away from Land Before Time!
Wow. And I thought I went a long time without watching LBT. :blink: (For me it was about seven years; between 2001 and 2008.) My story of how I rediscovered LBT is actually surprisingly similar to yours in some respects (originally one of my favorite movies; saw first several sequels; “outgrew” it and lost interest; seeds of re-interest planted during casual online browsing; became re-hooked after watching it again). Oh, yeah, if you click that link, you’ll see that you’re not the first GOF member with a penchant for long, detailed posts. :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks Pangaea for the welcome!

Yes, I know a Bongo is a stripped antelope, and I even know it as a Simpsons Comic Book distributor. (But thats not where i got my nickname  :p )

And I just read 'Your Story' and it was very interesting. I even took the time to read the other 'My Stories' and I DID find out that most of us think alike in the LBT story...give or take a few events and years.

I am also kind of surprised that in a dinosaur related forum, no one picked the name Pangaea until you.

PS: For anyone who is interested and read my first bio thoroughly, I am still working on my FanFiction right now. I will post on FanFiction.net pretty soon once I reach Chapter 5. The introduction is pretty long because I need to explain some things  :lol

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum.  I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun here.  Any of the sequels that you like better then others?  

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks Kor. Funny thing is that your avatar is the first avatar I remember seeing while lurking on the furums  :lol

Well, I have not seen the sequals in such a long time, but from what i can remember about the plot, the Stone of Cold Fire had an interesting set up, but the pay off was terrible.

Journey to Big Water was pretty nice, and I liked the character of Mo, but that was pretty much it. Some of the character's voices were not as good as previous films in my opinion.

This is hard, but the closest I think my favorite would be is The Great Valley Adventure. I don't know why though...

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Forgot to add this the first time. :bang

I'm looking forward reading your fanfiction there Bongo :yes  It looks promising, seeing as you write very detailed and long paragraphs and bios. Can't wait to read it. Once again, welcome to GOF. :)

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ah, but you are already reading my FanFiction my friend! I could see your name at the bottom of my fanfiction preview  :lol

Oh, and for those who are interested, My FanFiction is right HERE&#33;
My FanFiction is right HERE!

Please bear with me! Its a bit out of place but trust me when I say the pay off is good!  :goodluck