The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Into the Black

Serris · 1584 · 100403

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Kojurro coughed out blood as he staggered down the street. he hasd fought off a group of 5 purifiers who had attacked him, and while he had killed them, he was pretty banged up.. the sight of the carnage around him filled him with fury at those responsible.; gotta get out of here' he thought, as as an injured St Bernard Augment grabbed his leg, and pleaded for help ' please' he begged ' Kojurro sighed and helped the injured dog to its feet,one of the Bernard's hind legs had a large piece of metal sticking out of it..names Manny' the Bernard said through gritted teeth ' Kojuuro' Kojurro said Manny weighed 200 pounds and it was not easy for Kojuuro to lift him, finally he sat down on a sidewalk ' we have to get that debris out of your leg.. i'm no doctor.. Kojurro said.. he reached inside of his shirt and found the the beeper Broadstreet had given him to activate the bug. Kojurro pressed the beeper which gave off a noise. a few minutes later Broadstreet pulled up next to him in his car.' you have more lives than a cat.. Broadstreet said to him. then noticed Manny. ah an injured civilian. Didnt know you gave a damn Kojuuro. You surprise me.. Broadstreet went over to Manny and with a sharp pull removed the blood soaked shrapnel from Mannys leg . Manny yelled out in great pain, as Broadstreet tossed the debris away. ' put him in the backseat. theres a first aid there with bandages and gauze' Broadstreet said to kojuuro.' we're getting the hell out of here. the two helped manny into the backseat of the car, and kojurro climbed in after huim. broadstreet climbed back in and took off again, while Kojuuro bandages Mannys leg.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena got to her feet awkwardly since she couldn't use her hands. "I hope you can keep all three of us alive, rat," she grumbled. She attempted to pick up her katana but could only waggle her fingers around it like raw strips of bacon.

Lily bent over and helpfully clipped the sword to Emilena's belt. "Let me take your hands for a second," she offered. Closing her eyes, she bit her lower lip and focused.

Emilena sighed reflexively as the pain started to disappear. Glancing down, she noticed with alarm that blood was starting to trickle out of Lily's nails and her hands were shaking. Realizing the nature of Lily's healing abilities, Emilena snapped, "Not right now!" and snatched her hands away, causing Lily to gasp in surprise. "I'm fine! Your hands are more valuable than mine at the moment." She rubbed them, then followed Axel. "Let's get moving."

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Axel quickly bent and snatched the Uzi from the guard's severed arm, grimacing as he pulled the gun free from the fingers wrapped around it, then crossed the room. "Alright, let's... get going," he grunted as he shoved the lab's door open. Whatever was going on outside, the noise had become relentless, and Axel could feel his teeth setting on edge as the compound around them shook, dust falling in waves from overhead and settling on them as they dashed through the halls. On the way, they came across a group of three Purifiers dashing down towards them, their eyes widening in surprise at seeing the intruders. Before they could say anything Axel mowed them down and jumped over their bodies, his legs carrying him faster as the racket outside grew deafening.

Turning the corner, Axel could see the door that lead to the reactor room. "Come on, we're almost there!" He started leading them down the hallway... and suddenly, behind them, the wall began collapsing inwards as something punched through. Axel turned and gaped. Was that gunfire? What kind of guns can do that?! Whatever it was, dust, glass and rubble started flying towards them as the destruction tearing the place apart rushed up the corridor in their direction.

"Fuck! Run!" Axel yelled, seizing Lily's hand and sprinting down the corridor. The door was getting closer - but, from the sound of it, so was the gunfire that was shredding where they'd been just moments before. No way... we aren't dying now, not when we're so close! Reaching the metal door, Axel kicked it open and shoved Lily and Emilena through into the reactor room. Diving after them, he tripped and tumbled down the stairs, landing at the bottom with a groan as the ship's gunfire tore past, destroying the doorway and bringing down the roof behind them.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Jesus, you made it!" Tony exclaimed, seeing the group charging towards him as the base began to collapse and come down. "We gotta get the hell outta here!" Holding his paw out for them, he helped first Lily down into the tunnel, then Axel, and finally, noting Emilena couldn't seem to use her hands, he grabbed hold of her armpits before she could protest, and let Axel grab her from the lower half so she wouldn't fall down the ladder and break her neck. "Here!" He said, quickly following down after her as the building was torn apart, the room they were standing in starting to act as if a giant were punching its walls.

The ground shook violently, a virtual earthquake going on around them as the battleship's big guns ripped the base apart, shredding it as effectively as if it were a toy being put through a pulverizer. "Hope this goddamn elevator still works!" Tony said through clenched teeth as they ran down the tunnel, the ferret hearing the sounds of tearing metal and collapsing walls further back from the complex.

Vergil was the first to reach the elevator, piling in and slapping the up button to the ground floor, but then jamming his bulbous finger down on the door open button to ensure everyone got inside. Once they were, his white finger mashed the close button, and they were soon making their painful way upwards, Tony silently praying that the elevator wouldn't tumble back down as the building they were in shook like a leaf in the wind.

The elevator rattled and rumbled its way up to the ground floor, and Tony let out an exhale as the doors opened and he ran out first to get the car ready. Everyone could fit in the car, and they wouldn't need the trailer, but Tony knew the car was powerful enough to reach 100 even with the trailer attached. Throwing himself behind the wheel, the ferret fumbled with his keys, eyes on the destruction of the Purifier base ahead of him, and he swore as he dropped the keys briefly. "Shit!"

Reaching down, he retrieved them and started up the big V-12. Vergil got into one of the back seats, and once everyone was inside, Tony gunned the engine and whipped the car around in a 180 degree turn, tires squealing as he pointed the car towards the highway, but then thought better of it. Looking at the sky, he could see the aerial fleet was concentrating its attack on major buildings and thoroughfares, and the highway was the place to avoid right now. OK... time to take some back streets to escape the city.

"So... I take it Lily's back?" Tony asked when he was certain he was safely away from the Purifier base, and could focus a bit less on driving like he was being chased by all the forces of hell, which in a way, he kind of was. He felt his phone vibrate, and he pulled it out to quickly glance at a text message from his father.

On the bridge of the Red Castle, Kalis was gazing with satisfaction at the destruction of the city. If they submitted, fine, but he doubted he'd have time to occupy this place. Already his fleet had intercepted emergency distress calls to the 9th Fleet, so he knew they were at least inbound. Still... nothing wrong with a little chaos every now and then. Even if he wasn't ready for a stand-up battle just yet, this was an opportunity he wasn't going to waste.

But there was something here... a distant presence he was sensing... a presence he hadn't felt in a long time. But that presence was impossible. There was no way he could be feeling it. Narrowing his eyes, he pushed it from his mind, and instead focused on watching the explosions and the decimation below him, reveling in the sight as if he were at some intense sporting event.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"That's me," Lily said shyly. "I know I look different from how you've seen...but this is how I normally look. Thank you for putting up with me when I was...less than hospitable."

Emilena narrowed her eyes as she watched the destruction outside. "Where exactly are we going?" she asked. She suspected Tony was returning to his father, and Emilena suspected she shouldn't be at the planned reunion.

--------------------------------

Nairda's body hit the street and tumbled as he was forcibly ejected from the car. In a few seconds he stopped rolling when he hit the side of a barn.

A few hours later, he came to in the bed of the farmgirl that nursed him back to health. As she unsubtly came on to him, clearly sheltered and desperately inexperienced in the ways of men, her father kicked the door down and angrily chased him from the town with a burning pitchfork.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Axel hunched over in his seat as Tony sped the car through the narrow side streets, feeling exhaustion seeping into his limbs now that they were out of the immediate danger of the base. As long as we don't get bombed by those things in the sky, it'll be smooth sailing... Rubbing an arm across his face, he took Lily's hand in his own and leaned across to Emilena. "Whatever happens... you're welcome to stay with us. I... I don't know if I can repay you for what you've done." Axel looked at Tony and smiled. "You too. If you hadn't shown us that way in... Things could have gone differently. Thank you."

He sighed and leaned back, then stared out the window at the huge ship hovering over Lanthae. Axel swallowed. "Vergil... what... do you know what the hell's going on?"

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"For now, out of the city. I can drop you off if you have a specific destination in mind and it's not being bombed to hell." Tony responded to Emilena. He glanced in the rearview mirror at Axel now. "Uh... sure, no problem." he responded, nodding. "You don't have to repay me." Plus I don't think you can, he didn't add. It was certainly high praise for having done essentially nothing but show him a way into the base. Still, it had helped get Lily out of there, and that was their main goal. This Kalis or whoever he was... he was doing their job for them now by helping to eradicate the Purifiers... but it was coming at a very high cost.

Axel also seemed to have gotten over the whole "you chose your family over me so I'm choosing her over you" thing. Tony figured not to bring it up, especially if the rat wasn't going to do so further. He needed to put it behind him, and just go on with his life. Whatever the future held, he wasn't sure, but there were things still remaining to be done, with or without his friends.

Vergil glanced up again as they wound their way through small side streets, staying clear of the aerial attack and away from major centers of commerce. It was working out well so far, as the ferret's route was keeping them clear of the bombing. "Well... I can't say with any certainty... only that Kalis is here... I don't know if it's for me, or just because he's a warlord bent on ruling the planet, but he's here." Vergil stated with some finality. "This attack is too big for me... and I don't know why he'd concern himself with someone like me anyway. I don't know how prominently I factor into his past, if I factor in at all." he murmured here. "But I DO remember this fleet distinctly. I can't... say if I served in it at some point in time or not, though. It's all just... a blur." he muttered with some dejection.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Few miles out of town would be great," said Emilena, who was focused more on gauging her location using the remaining landmarks still standing. She didn't particularly like Tony so the sooner she could be on her own, the better.

"Hey," Lily said firmly, waiting until she had Emilena's eye contact, "Axel was serious about his offer. We both owe you, and you need somewhere to live. We could all use each other, and we've earned each other's trust."

Emilena smiled weakly, not out of insincerity but lack of practice. "Thank you for the offer. I'm pleased to have cleared my debt to you. But I have to insist that we part ways." Axel has wisely kept his full name secret from most relevant parties and Lily will be tougher for the Purifiers or mafia to recognize in her fully-human appearance. In contrast almost everyone on every front knows Emilena's name and face, and most of them would like to see her dead. She would only jeopardize the best chance Axel and Lily have of successfully slipping under the radar.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Axel nodded. "Alright... well, just know that the offer always stands. If you ever need somewhere to stay, then... uh, you know." He blinked, then looked at Lily. "And, ah, speaking of which... we need to find somewhere to stay! I mean, I don't have a second house in the country or any surprises like that." Sighing, he looked out the window. "Well, as long as it's far away from all this... and as long as I'm with you... It'll be okay." Axel felt something sharp dig against his leg and, wincing, he pulled out the remains of his phone - it must have broken when he fell down the stairs. He swallowed. He'd have to trust that Soren, Marita and the others were okay.

After a while, Axel glanced at Tony and Vergil. "How about you guys? I'm, ah, guessing the Straccis don't need to worry about being homeless?"

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Tony shook his head. "No... my dad is going to relocate though. He's getting some larger movers in to get all our stuff... no use sticking around in a ruined city, after all." Tony sighed. "I grew up here but... I guess it just wasn't meant to be. But... at least my dad's made arrangements to save all our stuff... including the cars." Tony smiled here. "Maybe I'll get to drive one to the new location. My dad's got homes all over, after all." he shrugged here. "But... I... yeah I guess I'll just stay with him for now." he concluded, sounding unsure.

Vergil shook his head. "No idea what I'm going to do or where I'll be staying. I need to find out about my past and who I am after all... as well as my link to Kalis. Maybe I'll start traveling... interviewing everyone I can find who was connected to the Scorched Earth War and who might've known about my service... and well... I'd like to learn about Kalis's former boss... who he was, why he suddenly turned traitor... I feel I'll find answers that way." he explained as they exited the city. Open fields stretched on before them, and Tony drove towards some woods he knew about to the southwest of the city.

Slowing the Pierce-Arrow down, the ferret could see refugees in this area were minimal so far. "This place good?" he asked Emilena, looking over at her now.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Perfect." Without so much as a thank you, Emilena exited the car before it had even fully come to a stop.

Lily smiled sadly. She seemed to guess Emilena wouldn't be swayed. "At least give us some way to contact you, then. In case you change your mind."

Emilena paused. "If I change my mind, I'll be able to find you. It used to be my job to find people, you know."

And then she took off at a brisk sprint until the smoke and ashes emanating from the neighboring city had swallowed her.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
(Farmlands outside Lanthae)

Soren looked at the column of smoke rising from the ravaged city. The booming of the fleet's massive cannons echoed around the countryside.

He sighed. The countryside was a throwback to earlier times. Except for the tall gleaming towers of refineries, factories and vertical farms dotted throughout the are.

The Human sighed. "Well, the city's fucked. And we're equally fucked. What do we do now? Meet up with Tony and Axel?"

"What else can we do?" Anne replied.

Soren nodded. "Can someone text the two again?"

-----------

(Purifer Base)

Sirens screamed throughout the ravaged compound as the relentless bombardment continued.

Aaron swore as the hallway he was in shuddered, knocking him to the ground. His smart rifle was just an ordinary rifle and the HMD associated with it were all but useless, fried by the EMP. Pausing a moment, he ripped the HMD from his combat helmet and the scope from the rifle and tossed the two useless pieces of electronics away.

The German Shepherd panted from the near constant running. His lungs and legs burned fiercely as he sucked in the dusty air.

It was then he saw it, the green glow of the exit sign and the lights of the outside. The flickering of the exit sign indicated he had little time left before the exit collapsed.

He urged his muscles to worker even harder and shot through the opening. And not a moment too soon as the reinforced concrete finally failed, entombing anyone unfortunate enough to be left inside.

The Canine looked around the group of Purifiers for Marcus.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm Not getting any Response from Axel, i'm guessing the pulse must have fried his phone.' Marita said she she texted Tony" Outside city near some farms. got a place in mind where we can meet up?' she finished the text and turned to the others. ' at least we have each other. its not much, in the grand scheme, but its better than nothing.'
-
 broadstreet drove through the ruined city and made it out to the outskirts. by his count, he had just 14 officers left, not including 8 he had been unable to contact. this was out of 125 under his command, and broadstreet blinked back a few tears for  all those lost, officer and civilian alike. manny growled softly behind him as kojuuro bound his injured leg.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Tony felt his phone vibrate again, and pulled it out as Emilena got out of the car. It was from Marita. Looking behind him at Axel and Lily in the rearview mirror, he cleared his throat. "Ahem so... where can I drop you guys off?" he asked, starting to drive forward at a slower place once more.

He texted back Not sure I'm meeting you. Need to help my family first. We're relocating to Marita. He really had no reason to link up with the others right now, and the texts he was getting from them meant they were safe for now, so he didn't have to worry about that.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Marita got the text and smiled " Understood. At least you guys made it out of there. Go handle your family business first, its more important than worrying about us..thanks for your help Tony.' she sent it and turned to the others.well guys it looks like we're on our own. Tony and the others made it out and but are headed off to handle thier own business. so i suggest we head towards a new town."
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Axel watched through the window as Emilena ran off, his ear flicking as she disappeared into the smoke. He turned as Tony spoke, biting his lip. "I, ah... I don't know. I mean, there's gonna be plenty of small towns around here in the country..."

He looked at Lily and put an arm around her shoulder. "What do you think? Take our chances... find somewhere quiet, settle down and try to make a new start?" Axel smiled at her. "Late lie ins... Dinners in front of the TV... I can make a mean macaroni-cheese on toast."

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Lily laughed. And cried. And hugged Axel. It was beginning to dawn on her just how lucky this all turned out. "Of course," she sobbed with equal parts elation, devastation, and fatigue, "God...anything. Anywhere. I love you!"

She flung her arms around him again and cried uncontrollably.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Axel held Lily tightly, resting his head against hers as she sobbed. "It's alright. Everything's over now," he murmured, stroking her cheek. "We're going to be alright."

He looked up to the front of the car and nodded at Tony. "Drop us off at the next town. We'll... we'll take it from there."

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"No problemo!" Tony responded with a grin. "Can do! Fortunately, my dad's manor is kind of in the next town over anyway, so we should be able to work that out. I'll drop you off before then and I'll be on my way!" He drove through the open fields, and finally managed to get on the Garden State Parkway, having made his way there over bucolic country roads. The Pierce-Arrow seemed to blend in perfectly with this atmosphere in a way, as the countryside, while having high-tech farms, wasn't over the top with its technological sprawl like Lanthae was.

Reaching the town where his father lived, Tony slowed down on the main street and then pulled over at the curb. "Here we go! This good?" He asked, rotating in his seat to look behind him at the couple now. "Hey! Stay in touch, OK?" the ferret asked, raising his brows.

Back over Lanthae, Kalis was growing a bit frustrated. He had sensed her presence in the city, but it had vanished rapidly, and the warlord was convinced he'd missed her. "Damn!" he wheezed, shaking his head "Clever of you... but I knew you were here."

"Lord Kalis! The 9th Fleet is approaching!" came a shout from one of the bridge techs.

"Mmm... very well. Prepare to withdraw. We've sown enough devastation today..." Narrowing his eyes, Kalis glared out the front viewport. "I'll find you..." He murmured. "Don't think you can hide from me forever!"

A few minutes more, after delivering more devastating shots to the city below, Kalis's battle fleet began withdrawing, opening up the gate once more to prepare to jump. Several minutes after that and it was all over, the powerful fleet nothing more than a very close memory as the skies over Lanthae cleared.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Lily smiled. "We'll keep in touch," she beamed back at Tony. "Thank you for everything, and best of luck in getting home."

She got out of the car and turned to say thanks to Vergil next, but stumbled when she made eye contact. There was something...dark in his subconscious. Not even in his thoughts. In his destiny.

She managed a weak smile. "I...I'm sorry..." she tried to hide her discomfort but did poorly. "You've got a lot of power, and even more potential...just, when you get the chance to use it...remember compassion."

Not knowing what else to say, Lily stepped away from the car and averted her eyes, waiting for Axel to say his goodbyes so they could leave.

-------------------

Emilena stumbled along the side of the road, coughing almost as rapidly as she was sprinting. Her burning lungs be damned, she needed to get as far away from Lanthae as she could.

Still, part of her was glad at how everything turned out. She'd paid her debt, and was free to live the rest of her life alone and away from everything in her past. She would never have to see any of these idiots ever again--

"Woooahhh!!!" Someone came out of the smoke too suddenly for her to avoid and crashed into her, making a stupid noise she was all too familiar with.

"Nairda..." she snarled, stifling an exasperated groan. "Of all people..."

"Sorry about that, madam!" Nairda brushed some ash off his shoulder, thereby making it the least ashy part of his body. "There's a psychotic farmer chasing me who wants my gonads on his pitchfork!...or at least there was when I started running thirty minutes ago..."

She slapped him to get him to shut up, and he double-took. "...Emilena!?"

Despite herself, she grinned. "God, you're an idiot. Come here."

Grabbing him by the collar, she smothered him in a passionate kiss.