The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

First Pokemon, then Ponies, now Dinosaurs

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Update Time!

[align=center]Littlewoof

Source
(for bigger size etc.)[/align]

...or Littlefoot or Dogglefoot or... :D

Sadly this one should be the last drawing for some time now: Exams are getting closer and closer and I have some (a lot) of stuff to do until then. I might be able to do another drawing or not, we'll see about that.^^

For those who want to see some WIP pictures, I got myself a tumblr blog where I'm showing those now. I for one like to see WIPs, sooo..maybe someone else here does, too. :)
Tumblr: http://rs-art.tumblr.com/

I won't show anything there I won't show (as a final picture) on DA, so you're not missing out if you don't look there. It isn't planned at least, if this changes, I'll tell of course.
Oh, and I won't spoil anything there. WIPs will only come when the final piece is already on. ;)

Soo..that's it for now. Colored Version might come next week or something...maybe.^^

Hope you like it.
RockingScorpion.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
You could also call him Little paw. XD Looks like he has prehistoric tics or flees.  :lol

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Very nice!  :yes The drawing I mean, not the fact that Littlefoot has fleas.  :p

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awesome!

Littlefoot: "Stupid mosquitos!" :lol
Inactive, probably forever.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Dalekdino: Little Paw xD that sounds like some american indians name...

Ducky123: Stupid mosquitos? Let me tell you, these things like me way to much. By now I feel like literally covered in stings. xD

Thanks to all of you, and the colored version is done (finally xD)

[align=center]Littlewoof - Digicolored

Source

So now that this is done the big question is when I'll find time for another one. If it weren't for all that crap I have to do for the next few weeks I probably would start one this evening. xD

Time will tell I guess.

Hope you like it. :)
RS

Oh...@Ducky123: Poor Cho...I don't know yet but I might review a certain chapter later if I find something to say about it. ;)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh, you really should! Would like to hear your thoughts and if it's just a one-liner... I highly appreciate comments and reviews :)

This looks even better coloured. It's actually pretty wise to do the shading on paper as it would probably take a while to make it that smooth in colour :p

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Maybe later. I just got home (tough day xD) and am somewhat tired..but yeah, maybe later. :)

Smooth digital shading..hm...depending on how smooth, it isn't that hard actually
isn't that hard actually. It might take some more time, but...if you use a lot of layers for shading, then make the shading color veeery faint and then use gradients on them to make it darker/brighter to the edges, it shouldn't be that much of a problem...

...except the fact that your computer might tell you Nnope after a certain number of layers. xD
What I usually get it about 10 to 20 layers with digital shading including, depending on how many characters/different color sets. Each different color set usually get's a layer group for itself, but shading always goes on one layer no matter how many charas, same for light effects.

Btw: The background of that image I linked in this post is basically what shading via gradient would look like. ;)

Or were you talking about getting the shading this smooth while using traditional colored pencils? Because I don't think there would be any difference between using b/w pencils. ;)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No, that's exactly what I meant. :yes You make it sound like it is easy :p

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ducky123: I wouldn't say it's difficult, nor is it easy. Depending on how good you want to be, the amount of time you need changes. And I'm not talking about one single drawing only, but the thing in general.
I heard the saying that there is no such thing as "hard" when it comes to art (that rhyming was totally intended xD) the first time from a freelance animator with 10 years experience. I first would've never said it like that, but noticed that it's kind of true.

You might start small and think that stuff others can do is hard to do, but stick to what you're doing and someday you'll do what you admired back then - and you won't think it's hard. That's almost guaranteed. :)

(And that is what I expected to be a "one sentence answer xD. But now to the actual reason I'm posting: )

[align=center]Happy to be back

Source

One might wonder what that title is all about.

Well, simple. I had exams some time ago as some of you might know and was deep in stress while studying for that, also there was a lot more I had to do. I still have to do quite some stuff, but I can draw again. So yeah, I'm happy to be back. :D

Buuut you can also have it like this: Ali is happy because she returned to the Great Valley. :D

Yep, I have a thing for titles with more than one meaning.^^

Colored version might come tomorrow if I'll find the time for it. Also, if any of you wants to see some WIP photos, these are here, as usual: http://rs-art.tumblr.com/

So, since I don't know what to say anymore (I bet I'll return 10 minutes after I hit the Reply Button because something comes to mind xD) -

Edit: I CALLED IT! I so called it. xD
This is some kind of "base" for another idea I had recently, including Ponies, Dinosaurs and bad puns. Take a cookie if you're guessing right what it will be. :D

RockingScorpion

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^You aren't going to ship Ali with a pony, are you? :DD

Well, what should I say? This is just as good as usual which means it's awesome :smile Her legs looks a little strange but I assume that's meant to be so... You can't deny that Ali's quite a cutie in longneck-terms... Writing a lot of scenes with her in my fic makes me like her more and more, yep, yep, yep. :yes

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Pony x Ali? Nnope, don't worry. (This would've never came to my mind probably xD).
I think I sent you a PM about that...what I mentioned there will be a thing, actually. xD

Thanks. :)
Strange legs...mhm...well she's lowering her front legs, maybe that's why it seems unusual. Is that what you meant? I can't see anything strange about them - but that might be because I just finished it. xD

You can't deny that Ali's quite a cutie in longneck-terms

Agreed. :D
Even though she's basically Littlefoot with longer eyelashes and a different color. Pretty interesting what a small change like that can pull of.^^
Littlefoot of course has a cute design, too.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Strange legs...mhm...well she's lowering her front legs, maybe that's why it seems unusual. Is that what you meant? I can't see anything strange about them - but that might be because I just finished it. xD
Yep, that's what I meant ^^

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Ah cute little Ali. Boy do I wish they'd given her more appearances.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Guess who just got colored? :smile

[align=center]Happy to be back

Source

I also threw some WIPs onto my tumblr, because I can. They're nothing I'd call interesting, but who knows. :)
http://rs-art.tumblr.com/

This time I tried something new. I made the paper she's drawn of darker and brought out more structure.
Now I have a question for everyone who wants to answer: Do you think this looks better or would you say my usual way was better (where the paper is closer to white or just has less structure)? Examples are in this thread or on DA itself. ;)

PS: working on a computer during these high temperatures is something. I had to take breaks way to often because of this damn thing overheating. xD
But at least we have a thunderstorm here right now - and I'm going to watch it now. Too bad that is is (again) too far away for me to get some good photos.^^

Anyway.
RS

(Next upload will be that Pony Dino Pun Thing (probably). Strangeness Incoming. xD)

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
I know I keep saying this but it's even cuter with colour.  :D

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oh, this will be something else.

You know what they call a pony with wings and a horn in the MLP:FIM Universe?

Alicorn.

Or Alihorn in the german version.

The german translation (as if a translation was even needed) gave me this idea.

And since Alicorns are usually royalty...

[align=center]
Here comes (not Tom, but)

Princess Ali

Source

Behold, Behold. :D
(This is one of the worst or one of the best puns ever, your choice. xD)

To explain a bit how I did this: The original drawing is still Ali as she is, without any special features. xD
At first that was how I wanted to do it, but when I thought about it, I also wanted her "normal" as well.
The wings and the horn were drawn on an extra paper, and then added in Photoshop. So this doesn't actually really exist like that. ;)

A photo of the drawings with only the wings and the horn can be seen here: http://rs-art.tumblr.com/

I even sent it to the biggest MLP Fansite out there, but they never feature my stuff, even if it's 100% pony. I would've laughed like crazy if they would've done it with this one (but of course, nnope).

At least I hope you like my weird ideas. xD

And that's it for now.
RockingScorpion. :)

Oh - there is a version without color. If just one person wants to see that, I'll upload it. But only then - 3 different versions is really enough. xD

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
When this week is over I can finally lean back in my chair and think to myself: Finally I have nothing more to work on for some time. :D

...except maybe drawing. That isn't work to me. :D

[align=center]Forgot my parachute, oh no no no!

Source

Well...two things:
Guess the scene
Guess the parts I added out of my head without checking the scene.
 :D

Slowly but surely I'm getting better at being able to work with the character designs.

Also I decided to pay more attention to shading. By making it better defined and clearer than I did before. Do you even notice a change at all? :D
This is probably how I'm going to work on all future drawings coming after this one.

Also I do have something to say about drawing in general.
If you don't like too much text, you can stop here. xD

I talked to some professional artist today and when he left, I put away the drawing and did something else. Motivation gone. xD
What he told me - well, all of my drawings, including this one (the head was 100% shaded at that time) look flat, need more dark spots, are good but nothing more. And that I need to aim for perfection in any case.

That's what he said.
I say - you don't. Depending on how you look at it.

To me, drawing is just a hobby, nothing more. Of course, if you want to get serious with drawing, to make your money off of it, it's different. Then you really need perfection.

But - and this is what this professional never wanted to get - if you're drawing to have fun, why have yourself stress out when it's not perfect.
I had classes with this guy, and let me tell you, I just wanted them to end each time. As soon as they were gone from my timetable, I started drawing - and this time for myself, not for someone with pretty high standards.
And you know - if you stick to it, you start to improve. In your own tempo. It might take forever or just a bit more than a year for you to see it - but it'll happen. ( My first pencil drawing I dared to upload. Must've been when my drawing classes were gone: fav.me/d5usfvg ).

And that's what I like about drawing. That it's something I do for me, and only for me - because I have fun when I draw. I always listen to tips and stuff, of course, but don't tell me how good I HAVE to be. That one is up to me. ;)

That there are even people who like what I do for fun is just awesome. Thanks to everyone who left any comments in this thread or is watching it.

Hope you like this one as well. :)

Colored Version might be done tomorrow, if nothing gets in the way. If it won't - it might take some more time than usual.

And that's it for now.
RockingScorpion. :)