The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Future is Wild Oneshot

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
I love the Future is Wild. It's the only documentary I know that was awesome enough to get its own cartoon! And the cartoon inspired many stories from me. This was my first FiW fanfic and it proved to be very popular. I hope it'll be liked here too! :)

Episode of Inspiration: A Poggle's Not a Pet.....Yet

Link to Said Episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv80IhMn6Lw

Character(s) from the Episode: Zaga

As for the first chappy:
Gad wasn't the first Poggle that was suspicious of the Silver-spiders that cared for him and his fellows. A previous one was too, but her suspicions went a little too far when she discovers the true nature of her caretakers...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naira

I don't know why they came. The stories I've been told were always the same. The Silver-spiders arrived years ago, before I was born. They came with many grass seeds and offered to feed and groom us and get us everything we could ever desire if we allowed them to establish their nest here, amongst my own colony.

The offer, of course, is a hard one to pass up, and it didn't take long before we were living peacefully side-by-side. They built a huge web right outside our burrow, between two mountains, one of which we lived in. On these webs, they caught more and more grass seeds, which they give us at our whim. To me, they seem to be pushing us to eat more.

The one that scared me most (although I'll never admit that out loud) was Zaga, a spider that sported red stripes on his abdomen and he was practically the leader of all the other spiders...He misses nothing with his eight beady eyes. If we Poggles talked about something he finds strange, he'll be there in a flash to straighten things out. Of course, his actions to us weren't hostile...He seemed a little too kind and loving...

I'm practically the only Poggle here who thinks this. Everyone else loves the easy life the spiders gave them. We never have to find our own food; the spiders feed us until we're so full that it's hard to walk sometimes. We don't have to worry about predators since we don't even have to get out into the open. Even if we did, the spiders would always keep a sharp eye on us and defend us from most other creatures...I guess that is one good thing, but that's beside the point! I mean, we don't even have to groom ourselves anymore; the spiders take it upon themselves to clean us anytime it's needed.

I woke up one morning and, as a routine, counted all the other still-sleeping Poggles. Funny, there was one less of us since we went to sleep. I would've recounted, but I knew it wasn't needed. This was a regular occurrence, one that the others don't seem to notice. But me...I know something's going on...I feel it in my fur...

Wait, that was an itch. Stupid parasites. Looking around to make sure no pesky spiders were around, I stood to my hind legs and proceeded to the first step of grooming. But I didn't even have time to lick my paws before a voice came up behind me.

"No need for that."

I jumped so high, I hit my head on the ceiling (Which was a long way off the ground). Coming to land was less than graceful. I lost my balance and stumbled over myself. Shaking my head and standing onto my paws, I turned to face Zaga. What the-?! When did he get here? There was no spiders around when I checked a few second ago. He has a talent of appearing out of nowhere...a skill I found kinda creepy.

"I'm sorry, little Naira. Didn't mean to scare you." Zaga muttered in an almost playful manner. Even though he was acting friendly, I found the air around him quite menacing. I never liked being in his presence, but avoiding it was near impossible since he lives with us. Best thing I can do is play along. Which is hard...

"What are you doing here?" I couldn't help but ask. It wasn't in an angry tone, just a curious one, which I worked to perfection.

"Just checking how my favorite Poggle is doing." He explained, rubbing the end of one of his legs on my cheek. I endured this, no matter how much I despised contact from him. Zaga always seemed to love petting us...Probably because we have fur and he doesn't.

"Well, I'm doing nothing. Now, please, if you don't mind..." I stepped away from his touch, now a bit unable to hide my irritation. "I'd like to groom myself, if it's not too much to ask." I tried to walk away, but Zaga suddenly appeared in front of me.

"Now that's completely unnecessary. Wouldn't you rather have it done for you?" He continued with the offer. I was really starting to lose my patience with his persistence, but I managed to keep myself from making a scene. Instead, I gave a fake smile.

"No, thank you. In case you haven't noticed, I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself." Again, I went off to be alone and this time, he didn't try to stop me. I won this little round, but I was uneasy as I could feel him watching me intently as I left.

Zaga

I never really liked that Poggle. Naira seems to have a rash streak, although I'm not too completely sure how she got that way. The other Poggles are as simple-minded and gullible as ever, and yet, I could tell that this young one didn't trust us. And I, in return, didn't trust her.

I have, of course, brought Naira's case to the Queen herself, as she had more experience with Poggles than even I did. She told me what I've been assuming all along. Naira is an adolescent, rebellious and temperamental. She's likely to settle down once she's fully grown.

Still, I've noticed that all the other young rodents weren't as...argumentative. With this in my mind, I myself consulted the Poggle's parents...or parent, seeing as how her father have a personal and final meeting with the Queen...

I picked up a grass seed and approached the adult Poggle I was intent on speaking to. I held the food offering out to her. "Care for a seed?"

Like all the other fur balls (excluding Naira), she accepted it and immediately began nibbling. I went to the matter immediately. "Naira is a rather interesting Poggle."

The mother nodded, looking over at the subject of our topic, who was sitting in a corner, having a debate with a Silver-spider that was trying to feed her. "Yeah...She's a little on the...unruly side, but she's a good daughter."

Small talk...Well, it's gotta start out as something. She continued. "Just try and avoid her when her bad mood sets in, and everything will go smoothly."

"Is there something you're doing to fix her...ways?"

"I figured she'll grow out of it. I know I did."

Ah, now we were getting somewhere. It seems Naira's defiant behavior came from her mother. There's a way to deal with this problem before it spreads. We don't need her spawning insolence throughout the generations and have them ruining our plans.

"Well, if it doesn't bother you, I think the Queen would be interested in having dinner with you." When she nodded, I knew the problem was solved...Well, not exactly. But I'll deal with Naira later...

Naira

The next day, I woke up, shook out my coat, then began counting. Yup, another's missing...Normally, I was a little indifferent to that, but not this time. This time, I felt as if I had just plunged a few hundred feet. My heart skipped a beat and I couldn't help but utter a squeak.

Where's my mom?

I didn't hesitate to climb over each Poggle, sniffing them to make sure they were who they were. They grumbled angrily as I did this, but I ignored them, intent on finding my mother. Seeing that she wasn't here, I backed away from the other Poggles and fell into a sit. This can't be happening; my mom...she's the only one I have...Now she's gone from my sight, an occurrence that never happened before...

My breathing quickened and I felt that I was going to lose consciousness. I tried to think this out. Maybe she just went outside...Yeah...I can just go out and look for her. Yeah, that's a great plan. I scurried towards the closest exit tunnel, when Zaga tried out his oh-so-popular talent by appearing before me.

"What's the rush, little one? Is something wrong?" He said this like I was a defenseless pup that barely knew how to talk. I would've told him to move out of my way, but I still felt a little distraught about the absence of my parent. So, I did something I never did before. I talked nicely to him, in a distressing tone.

"I can't find my mom...Usually she's always around...But now she's not, and I don't know what to do..." I explained, verging to tears. Zaga petted me on the head, and this time, I didn't mind. I'll accept all forms of comfort right now...Even from someone I don't like.

"Now now, I'm sure she wouldn't go far." He said this in a tone I couldn't really decipher, then again, I didn't attempt to.

"I was just about to go outside to look for her. Do you think she's out there?" I asked him, looking beseeching, hoping for a good answer. He didn't disappoint me.

"Maybe. I'll send out my warriors to go search. We'll find her sooner or later." He picked up a seed from the ground and almost pushed it into my front paws. "Here. Nibble on this and I'll take care of everything for you." I accepted the seed. "You'll see your mother again."

I gave a soft smile, actually reassured. The Silver-spider's words actually brought comfort to me...Instead of the usual feeling of malice. Plus, we actually had a conversation without arguing about something. All this was pretty new to me...But I think I liked it.

Then, as he was leaving, I realized that I forgot to say something. "Zaga?" He turned around the instant he heard his name. "Thanks." He gave me a look of confusion, tilting his head to the side. I don't blame him for being puzzled. I never thanked a Silver-spider...or anyone else for that matter. I guess I'm too full of pride to do that.

However, he gave a nod and went off on his way.

Zaga

A 'thanks' was far from expected. I had comforted her for the loss of her mother, but I never told her the truth of what really happened. How her parent was never to return. To cover this up, I did send warriors to check the perimeter for any stray Poggles. Naira will never suspect.

However, I think I did get through to her. Perhaps I caught a glimpse of her true self now that her egocentric side was put on hold. How long it will remain like that, I don't know. Perhaps until her mother was found...As if that was going to happen.

I even began wondering if it was necessary to exterminate her. Perhaps this new change in her personality would be permanent. As I looked over at her, talking almost happily to another Silver-spider, I became more and more convinced of this. The notion was pleasant, I'll admit, but will it be true? I guess only time would tell...

And I was willing to give her plenty of time. And if she were to revert back to her old ways...

That would be regrettable.

Naira

A few long days later, I woke up earlier than was usual for me. My mother was still missing (which might explain my sleeplessness), but I believe Zaga's doing everything in his power to bring her back. At least I hope he is. Well, he's been getting nicer and nicer to me as time went on. And it wasn't the kind of nice I was suspicious of. A nice kind of nice (That sounds weird...), a comforting kind. I think it's because I was more gracious to him.

I realized that being friendlier was in fact...simpler. I didn't have to think up of new insults to call the spiders by and I actually feel better, more at ease since I had once always expected some sort of revenge upon me. The Silver-spiders weren't as bad as I thought before. They actually seemed to just like taking care of us. I was beginning to feel sheepish that I ever suspected them of treachery.

I guess it was because of my untrusting behavior that I made no friends. The other Poggles usually paid me no mind since all I ever used to talk about was how good it would feel to knock Zaga off the nearby cliff. And my...slightly...rude ways did antagonize everyone a little.

My thoughts were interrupted when a Silver-spider wandered into the room. I wanted to greet him, but something about his movements and the air around him made me feel like I wasn't suppose to be awake. So instead, I remained perfectly still, my eye open just a slit to watch what he's up to. Some of my suspicion has inevitably returned.

I saw the spider grab a dozing Poggle and carefully proceeded to pick him up. These spiders were amazingly strong and he lifted my fellow easily. Placing him on his back, the spider then looked around at the rest of us. I hurriedly clamped my eye shut. I listened as he walked passed me towards a tunnel. Risking a peek, I found that he went through a passage we Poggles were told never to go in unless instructed; in fact, it was barely noticeable to begin with. I should investigate...but I'll be disobeying a rule that existed since...forever...

Well, it's a rule I'll be willing to break. After all, I had to find out what was going on. I can practically feel all my past attitudes returning.

Standing slowly on all fours, I quietly padded to the entrance of the tunnel in question. The smell was almost exclusively Silver-spiders with only a hint of Poggle. I was used to everything in this place being equal, especially when it came to smell. PLUS, I can smell something very different from a normal Silver-spider...It was a Silver-spider scent, but a bit different. It was coming from the other end of the tunnel.

Filled with more curiosity, I went in quickly, trying my best to be silent. It's hard being fast and soundless at the same time, but I managed to pull it off. Reaching the end, I ducked down as far to the ground as I could possibly go, trying to be invisible. When I took a closer look at what I was to behold, I almost fainted in disbelief.

In the middle of the new chamber was the biggest Silver-spider I have ever seen in my entire life. Bigger even than Zaga. It was from this immense creature that the strange scent emanated from. Around it were all the other Silver-spiders, including Zaga. I stared as the spider I was following laid the sleeping bundle of fur that was my fellow before the giant.

"Breakfast is served, my Queen." the Silver-spider muttered in a respectful tone. Queen? BREAKFAST? I gaped, frozen at what I was hearing. This can't be happening. This is a dream...Yeah...A horrible dream that will disappear and all I have to do is jerk myself awake.

The Queen spider then revealed these wicked (And I mean wicked) fangs. I didn't know the spiders had fangs...I guess they keep them hidden to avoid scaring us...because I think I wet myself...No...False alarm. Next came the most horrible thing I've ever witnessed...

The over-sized spider plunged those daggers right into the Poggle. I flinched and, before I could stop myself, let out a terrified squeak. I clamped my mouth shut and hoped the predators would pass the sound as coming from their unconscious victim (Poor thing...). I was not given this luck, as Zaga and his soldiers snapped their piercing eight-eyed gaze in my direction. I tried to reassure myself. They can't see me...They can't see me...

"NAIRA!" I heard Zaga roar. They can see me! Instinct took over, and I found myself turning around and running as fast as my legs could carry me. I was clearly being pursued, and I didn't need to look back to know that. I could hear them and Zaga's outraged yells. My scrambled, panicked mind didn't bother to decode his words.

I ran passed the still-sleeping Poggles (What is wrong with them?! How can they sleep in a time like this?!) and into another tunnel. I knew these passageways like the back of my paw and was going the shortest way to the outside. Once there, I might be able to escape. There's no point staying here anymore.

I just reached my destination when Zaga appeared right in front of me. He got here before I did! I screamed and tried to stop and turn around all at once. It was no use. I don't know what happened for an instant, but I felt this stabbing pain on my flank. I squealed and looked over to see that Zaga had bitten me with his own set of fangs.

I didn't hesitate to return the favor and bit him right back. I felt my gnawing teeth pierce his hard shell and he let me go. I did too and backed away in a limp. It took me a bit to realize I was outside on a ledge. I figured that I would climb up the mountain and away from danger, but I was feeling tired, weak, and a bit stiff. I couldn't understand the reason until I saw a yellow liquid drip from Zaga's fangs before he hid them away.

Poison.

I now knew that I wouldn't have the strength to climb or run. I forced myself to back up even more and I felt my feet step at the very edge of the cliff. More Silver-spiders appeared and I knew there was no getting away. I glared at them, especially at their leader. I knew that he and every other spider could not be trusted. There was no way they would've taken care of us without reason. And that reason was unforgivable.

"You freaks! You evil creatures! How could you do something like this? How could you make friends with us and then quite literally stab us in the back! We trusted you and you repay us by fattening us up and then serving us as food! It's disgusting!" I had no idea what I just said, but I'm sure it didn't make sense...Or maybe it did, because Zaga made a reply.

"It's a living. And it's nothing personal. It's just an effective way to eat. Even you'll have to admit that." He said, stepping closer. My glare didn't falter.

"No. It's a lie! Everything you did was a lie! And every single word!" I couldn't believe the next sentence I said, probably why I said it so softly. "I thought we were finally becoming friends..."

"It wouldn't have come to this if you hadn't learned too much. We might've even spared you the same fate as the others." He told me. I didn't once believe that. Just more lies. Then something occurred to me.

"My mother...You killed her, didn't you! And my father too! They didn't go missing! They were snacks! How dare you!" I would've lunged and tore him to pieces had I not been as weakened as I was. The spiders moved closer.

"Like I said, it wasn't personal." I shook my head.

"Oh, no. This...This is very personal..." I looked over the cliff to see how big a fall it made to the bottom. It was a long way down. There would be no way I would survive if I went over. But seeing my choices, my next move was an easy decision to make. "...You spiders got my parents...And countless other Poggles...But you're not gonna get me..."

I jumped.

END OF STORY

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Awwww!!! Sadness! :cry

"I figured she'll grow out of it. I know I did.

Figured should be figured, because it hasn't happened yet.

Awesome one shot. I wonder why Future is Wild isn't on anymore. It was a good show. And the documentery wasn't bad either. Nice work! ;)