The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Prompt Challenge Discussion

rhombus · 481 · 95876

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, everyone.  As has happened over the last several prompts, Sovereign is again our winner due to a lack of participation.  As usual, Fyn and I will be glad to make a special prompt response based upon you wishes, Sovereign.  :)

As for this month's prompt, it seems to me that many of us have been busy with our respective semesters and final exams, so I wanted to so a prompt that would be quite accessible while still opening up a lot of possibilities.  Accordingly, here is this months prompt for which you may do either or both of these prompts:

1) Do a scene where one of the gang is waiting on their eggs to hatch, or is dealing with one of the struggles of parenthood. This can be played for laughs, drama, or any other genre.; or,

2) Do any of the prompts from previous months that you may have missed. If you haven't missed any of them, then feel free to try using one of those prompts again to make a new story.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Come on, people! I'd like to see more participation. As for this month's prompt, I'll probably go with the crack fic.  :p Neither of these seems like my peace of cake but that one might be a bit easier. Also, you'll have my prompt in a few days.  :)

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I will be trying my hand at one of the prompts this month as well. As has been the case with most of us, finals were a total creativity suck, but I think I'm back on track. Rhombus's fic may have helped with that  :DD  

Anyway, congratulations Sovereign! I'd say more, but I'm at work. I'll try to be a little more involved this month.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well don't force yourself your real life is more important than writing a story and posting it on here. But good job none the less sovereign

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would say a lot in my case dino_laugh.gif
But the semester is over, and I did not fail anything, so I am thinking about maybe starting to write again. (Might even clean up January's entry and re-visit february's prompt... I had a funny idea for that one dino_tongue.gif )
Continue your Shorty fic ;)

Well, I'll just submit my story for this month's prompt...

Also, should we consider letting each prompt run for two months? Maybe that'd help participation. It's totally fine to write a short story within that time but some ideas get a bit longer than that and then time becomes a real bitch, so to speak :p
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just to let everyone know, we have extended the writing period for the current fanfiction prompt into July.  We might do this for future prompts as well, and simply make it a bi-monthly event as opposed to a monthly one.

And I should have something for you in the next month or so, Sovereign.  Between my heavy workload and other obligations I simply have not had the free time for writing that I usually have this time of year.  I apologize for the delay.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
same here... though I'll abandon the fic I was originally trying to write for May's prompt. That happens when you try hard to come up with an idea for the sake of it

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm sorry to say it but I'm not going to participate this time. Neither of the prompts are simply not something I'd be interested in doing. I'll certainly participate in the future if I find the prompt itself somewhat intriguing but I don't think I'd be able to do anything decent with the current ones, sorry.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm sorry to hear that, Sovereign, but I understand.  As it is I should have the prompt challenge that I owe you done in the next week if work allows me to have the time to write it.  As for next month's prompt challenge, lets just say participation over all has been very lackluster over the last 3 sessions.  so Fyn and I might have to reconsider how to conduct this competition.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign,Jul 25 2017 on  03:18 AM
I'm sorry to say it but I'm not going to participate this time. Neither of the prompts are simply not something I'd be interested in doing. I'll certainly participate in the future if I find the prompt itself somewhat intriguing but I don't think I'd be able to do anything decent with the current ones, sorry.
That's perfectly fine. Frankly, you're not the only one. Participation, as Rhombus has already said, has dwindled considerably over the summer, and while I can't speak for everyone, I'd imagine it's just the summer doldrums getting to everyone, as someone who has also experienced a lack of motivation to write. There are a few things Rhombus and I will need to consider, things we can implement when the next iteration of the fanfic prompt challenge goes live, and ideally, we'll be able to discuss them soon. In the meantime, don't worry about it. Your participation this year has been stellar already. I think we all just need some time to rest and recuperate.

And I should also let you know that I do plan on reading your story very soon. If not in the next few weeks, then definitely by the time the fanfic voting rolls around, assuming you plan to enter. Right now I've just finished catching up on "Mender's Tale," and I told JulianR94 that I'd give a look at his revisions for "The Eighth Hunter" as well, but once that's out of the way, I'll be back on track, more or less.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm looking forward to seeing what adjustments you're planning to do as I really like the idea of this contest! The first month, when there were six participants, was very fun and I'd like to see heavier participation again, perhaps accompanied with a prompt that is freer in interpretation. Also, Fyn, thank you for giving Separate Ways a read in the future! :yes  I truly appreciate it! There's no hurry in it though as I'm certainly going to participate in the fanfic awards!  :D

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Some of the prompts were quite specific. I'm sure it'd be easier to come up with a story idea I can be happy with when I have a little more freedom with the theme  :unsure:

Then again others like the crackfic one were really open.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good evening, everyone!

Fyn and I would like to announce that Season 1 of the Fanfiction Prompt Challenge is coming to an end.  Though participation tapered off in the final months, both of us were quite impressed with the level of participation for this project.  With a mind on what worked well this season and what did not work so well, we are looking to make season two of this project a success.

For one thing: we will be putting this project on *temporary hold for two months* while the fanfiction award nomination and voting process takes place.  It would not be proper to have two separate series of votes on fanfictions at the same time.  Additionally, we want to begin the planning stages of the second season with more participation from the actual possible participants.

As we pass from one season to the next, we're working hard to implement your feedback as best we can, and from what we've come up with so far, we have no doubt that Season 2 will come out of the gate even stronger than the first. We've already built our foundation- now we get to have some fun building on it. With the next season of the fanfiction prompt challenge, we're offering more incentives to participate with reward banners you can use to display your monthly accomplishments! Of course, this does come with a tradeoff. Fyn and I will no longer be offering the winner a chance to write a prompt for us, but this should allow us to mix and mingle with our fellow writers here more so than the previous year. Transparency is the name of the game this time around, and we'll be making a conscious effort to make this a user-run project. *We'll be laying out our prompts in advance, approaching you for feedback*, Even potentially sharing some ideas!

And for participants and the winners of each month *there will be a series of banners to choose from, each different from the forum award banners but available to show your hard work*.  Each person will be limited to only one banner from the fanfiction prompt challenge, but their banner will be modified to account for each person’s level of participation.  Indicating whether one is a “participant”, “one-time winner”, “two-time winner”, etc.  In this way your efforts can still be rewarded, while allowing Fyn and I the opportunity to attend to our existing writing duties in the manner in which they deserve.

Season One was our trial run, our chance to test the waters and get a feel for how our new idea would be received. We expected a small turnout, and we were pleasantly proven wrong by the sheer number of works we read through the first half of 2017. Now that we've had the chance to listen to you and take our lessons learned to heart, we are confident that this second season can both retain and expand our pool of participants. Remember- anyone can be a writer, and we're here to encourage that spark.

More loot, more opportunities, more transparency, more prompts.

It's going to be a great season, and I can't wait to see you all there!

PS: Also, Sovereign, we will have our responses to your prompt and our response to our own prompt done within the next few weeks as well.  We apologize for the delay, but we hope it proves worth the wait.  :)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's good to see that you're willing to make changes for this project! I'd say it's a good thing that the prompt can be modified before the start of the writing process to avoid problems related to making up the ideas. I also completely understand that you no longer do these special prompts as I was already surprised by the amount of writing you two were going through! The award banners sound like a good reward too: I'm looking forward to getting one!  :p

I have a question about the length of the break though. You said it would be two months before the next prompt will be announced due to the fanfic awards but aren't they supposed to be organized in November and December? That's more than two months away. :unsure:

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign,Jul 28 2017 on  10:04 AM
It's good to see that you're willing to make changes for this project! I'd say it's a good thing that the prompt can be modified before the start of the writing process to avoid problems related to making up the ideas. I also completely understand that you no longer do these special prompts as I was already surprised by the amount of writing you two were going through! The award banners sound like a good reward too: I'm looking forward to getting one!  :p

I have a question about the length of the break though. You said it would be two months before the next prompt will be announced due to the fanfic awards but aren't they supposed to be organized in November and December? That's more than two months away. :unsure:
We are having the nominations for the fanfic awards next month (in August) and the actual voting for the fanfic awards after the forum awards are done (in September) in order to get the award schedule back to where it used to be prior to last year.  All fanfictions modified over the last year will still be eligible, however, even though this means some overlap with last year's fanfic awards.

So this project should be back in October.  :)

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: rhombus,Jul 28 2017 on  10:14 AM

So this project should be back in October.  :)
Just in time for Halloween! :D

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Spoiling the next prompt, are we, Fyn? ;)

I absolutely support the changes, looking forward to that but first I need to get back into my writing mode for the fanfic awards (I swear that's a real motivator this time...)

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jul 29 2017 on  03:30 PM
Spoiling the next prompt, are we, Fyn? ;)

Pfft, you guys totally saw this one coming  :lol

Can't wait to see you in the fanfic awards!

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Is the June/July prompt still open? I might have something to post by monday... :lol

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
It is indeed! Frankly, I'm probably going to utilize the two months off to catch up on some prompts myself :D