The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT roleplay in the style of the original movie?

Ducky123 · 399 · 56797

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I can change my post accordingly :) If you all agree with it, I will see what I can do about my character once I'm back from a short weekend trip (should be able to answer questions here on the phone though if the need arises :))
Inactive, probably forever.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Another question: did the tsunami happen right after the earthshake, or was it an extended period of time until it hit?
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I thought the two events happened at the same time

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hypnobrai,Oct 7 2017 on  03:45 AM
Another question: did the tsunami happen right after the earthshake, or was it an extended period of time until it hit?
Tsunami comes right after earthquakes.
As I see, in our situation, there're two earthshakes, second comes after first? It it's single giant long earthquake?

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
The tsunami I caused by a rockslide that happened during one huge earthquake, that's what I understand it to be.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I always thought Aquarius was hit by the big tsunami  :unsure:

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
I always thought Aquarius was hit by the big tsunami

Aquarius was indeed hit by the big tsunami, he was at ground zero of the event.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, then why need the rockslide? The big tsunami reached as far as the lake (that's how I'd imagine it)... and it was caused by the earthquake

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
I was not aware that the tsunami started at the ocean. The only way you'd get a big tsunami or in this case a mega tsunami is to have a lock slide in which large rocks for into water. An earthquake would can make large tsunami's (5-10m) but not large enough to threaten most dinosaurs so a mega tsunami that is over the 100m mark in height is probably the only way to get that scale of effect and they are only caused by huge water displacement from falling objects (eg. rocks falling in water, meteorites).

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Does it have to be a mega tsunami though? I don't think we specified the range of destruction.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Well judging by the area affected on the map and the amount of dinosaurs killed or displaced the it would have to be a mega tsunami since a smaller tsunami just wouldn't have that same impact in dinosaur terms since most of them are large enough to not be pushed over. The devastation of the land would be more temporary if it was just a tsunami and considering the period of the drought then I don't think most dinosaurs would want to move out of a region that has water and potentially more food.

The final matter would be that on the map there is are large crack in the earth where we can assume the earthquake happened but the would create a tsunami unless it was in the ocean and instead it happened on land which is why a mega tsunami induced by a rockslide, caused by the earthquake sounds more feasible.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Consider that earthquakes used to be much more violent in ancient times (or so I believe). The earthquake would have cracked the earth and caused a tsunami due to heavy movement of the ocean ground. Even a "normal" tsunami would have swapped really far inland if it's flat (which I assumed) and been able to take Aquarius with it (possibly pushing him against the rocks of the mountains several times, amounting to his injuries?)

A size scale might have helped too but it was difficult to include without making the map even more messy... I'd say those are 50-100 km from west to east, a little less in north-south direction. The oasis would be like... 200-400 km from the eastern edge.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
It honestly sounds like the only thing holding the mega-tsunami narrative back is my character's backstory, and to be honest, I really have no issue with coming into the story a little later than everyone else. I certainly don't mind watching! That and, as I said, it'll allow me to focus on other writing while I wait.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
jorrdy12, don't forget to make your post as well :)

jorrdy12

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
If i understand correctly and we're discussing the starting points and stuff then I just want to put in my thoughts, (If that's no problem)

So starting points, I prefer it if we have the starting points of the map Ducky123 made, this would give us time to somewhat develop our characters and finally fit them together.

When did the Tsunami happen? Within a couple days before we begin writing the RP. Or during, both are fine by me.

How far away is the oasis? Pretty far, definitely not within a couple days of traveling (depending on species of course, some are faster than others) so for a normal dinosaur around 7-10 days of traveling. It also depends on our starting points the further you are the longer it takes, the closer you are the less time it takes.

I hope this is good enough

:sducky  :sducky
The universe has a beginning, but no end. —Infinite.
The stars too have beginnings, but their power accompanies their decline.  —Finite.
It the wise who are the most foolish. History has taught us as much.
The fish of the sea know not the world of the land. Were they to possess wisdom, they too would experience decline.
It is more absurd that humans should surpass the speed of light than it is that fish should start living on the land.
- Steins;Gate (anime / visual novel)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When did the Tsunami happen? Within a couple days before we begin writing the RP. Or during, both are fine by me.
Well, in my first post I assumed that it had just happened the other day. Since Samara and Lizzie are going to team up and starting very close to each other it might be best if you roll with that for now. :)

How far away is the oasis? Pretty far, definitely not within a couple days of traveling (depending on species of course, some are faster than others) so for a normal dinosaur around 7-10 days of traveling. It also depends on our starting points the further you are the longer it takes, the closer you are the less time it takes.
It's about 1-2 weeks of travel for normal dinosaurs. Our group starts the closest to it but I think we'll be the slowest group because... our characters are both kinda depressed and might have trouble sleeping at night so they take naps at day... well Lizzie does anyway as indicated by my first post :p

jorrdy12

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Oct 21 2017 on  08:02 AM
Well, in my first post I assumed that it had just happened the other day. Since Samara and Lizzie are going to team up and starting very close to each other it might be best if you roll with that for now. :)

It's about 1-2 weeks of travel for normal dinosaurs. Our group starts the closest to it but I think we'll be the slowest group because... our characters are both kinda depressed and might have trouble sleeping at night so they take naps at day... well Lizzie does anyway as indicated by my first post :p
I have no problems adjusting to that, and I agree, we'll probably be the slowest because we're depressed.
The universe has a beginning, but no end. —Infinite.
The stars too have beginnings, but their power accompanies their decline.  —Finite.
It the wise who are the most foolish. History has taught us as much.
The fish of the sea know not the world of the land. Were they to possess wisdom, they too would experience decline.
It is more absurd that humans should surpass the speed of light than it is that fish should start living on the land.
- Steins;Gate (anime / visual novel)

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Sounds good to me! As I said, I'll monitor the RP and jump in when it makes chronological sense.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hello Lord Beerus :)

I don't know about the other players but I wouldn't mind you joining. You're lucky that we've just barely started so you could jump right in. All you'd need is a character with a backstory that harmonizes with the general setting (would have to end up all alone for this to work).

Preferably your character should be a leafeating dinosaur. We already have two omnivores and two sharpteeth, I think that's enough :lol

Just a few more notes: I didn't notice you being very active on the forum in the past. If you join the RP, that means you'll need to check in regularly to see if there's something to contribute. Would be annoying to build a plot around your character only to have him disappear without a trace, I'm sure you understand  :exactly

And just to be fair, let's wait to hear some other player's opinions though I doubt anyone's going to have any issues with you joining :)