The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Song Project: Things Change

action9000 · 255 · 19210

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I got 3 more recordings done, bringing my total to 4.

My new plan of, ahem, 'attack,' is to do 10 recordings, 5 using the piano melody version, and 5 using the version without the piano melody, to increase my odds that at least one is an alright recording. This is necessary partly because I'm not sure if I'd be better off with the piano melody, or without it. I'll compress them with WinRAR and send 'em over to Petrie. When he's satisfied with one of my recordings, I'll send a second wave that only includes the melody part at the end with the overlapping "Maybe when things change."

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I haven't been able to do any recordings cuz my mic was busted, then I got sick, and then my mom's been home all day for a week, and now I'm sick again! :angry: Mom's going away for a while and I hope my cold clears.  I'm just gonna do a couple recordings a day (once I'm able) and send them in so you can have as much material as possible to work with.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've came across a difficulty.

I accidentally saved over my blank WAV file that I use as a mother file to do my recordings with. Is there a way to use GoldWave or some other program to completely blank a WAV file to contain no audio, like a blank file?

EDIT: My latest concern is that my recordings aren't quite loud enough. I compared my recordings in GoldWave with action9000's MP3s and my recordings didn't go near as high or low on the graph as the songs did. I pray that it is merely a side effect of my deep voice....

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Is there a way to use GoldWave or some other program to completely blank a WAV file to contain no audio, like a blank file?
There are a couple of ways to do this in Goldwave:
1) File -> New...
44100 Hz
choose the length of the blank audio that you want
choose Mono.
Click OK.

A blank .wav should appear of the length you specified.

EDIT: My latest concern is that my recordings aren't quite loud enough. I compared my recordings in GoldWave with action9000's MP3s and my recordings didn't go near as high or low on the graph as the songs did.
I don't really care what the volume level is of your recording.  I can edit that on my end as much or little as necessary.  The main thing I need you to do is to have as little hissing and background noise as possible.  I'd much rather you send us a quiet recording with little noise than a loud recording with a lot of noise. B)
To reduce the amount of hissing (if it is a problem), try turning DOWN your microphone gain (volume).  This can be done in Goldwave or via the Windows audio control (speaker icon, bottom-right of the screen).  This will reduce the level of your sound card's preamp (the hardware on your sound card used for amplifying the microphone input).  Many sound cards use very cheap preamps and making it as quiet as possible will help reduce noise in a lot of cases.  Remember though, it needs to be loud enough that it picks up some of the details of your voice.  Play with it until you get a sound you're happy with. :yes

NOTICE: This goes for Everyone!
Turn your microphone gain (volume) DOWN to help reduce the amount of hissing/background noise in your recording unless you have specifically upgraded your sound card to a Sound Blaster Live or better.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I sent 6 recordings to Petrie that are awaiting approval and for the screening of issues like that.

Achillobator

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deviantart.com
Hmm, I may have to really think if I want to join :p I am not really confident I will be able to sing that song well :p

Call me when you start working on "Family" (if you haven't done so already).

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Turn your microphone gain (volume) DOWN to help reduce the amount of hissing/background noise in your recording unless you have specifically upgraded your sound card to a Sound Blaster Live or better.

I know absolutely nothing about sound cards, but I have a $60 one.  Do I still have to reduce the gain?  I don't know anything about it. :unsure:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Do I still have to reduce the gain?
Use your ears. :)
Try recording yourself with the gain set to various levels until you find a level that works best for your equipment.  Ideally, you want as little hissing and unwanted noise as possible.  Play with the settings until you obtain this.

Remember: Lower gain will always mean less audible noise (because the sound is at a lowel dB overall) , BUT it will also mean less audible voice.  The trick is not to just lower the noise level, it's to increase the SIGNAL to NOISE Ratio (SNR). Play with the settings until you get a sound that has the most voice/wanted content as compared to the amount of noise/unwanted content.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Manny, I checked out your recordings.  You've done an excellent job at keeping the hissing/noise level down! :yes
I'm sure they'll be fine.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I was alomost worred sick! :P:

Did any of them mix up well with your MP3s and were they of sufficient volume? Will more recordings be necessary? I could do some more if need be.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Did any of them mix up well with your MP3s?
I haven't mixed my mp3 with your vocals yet, actually.  I'll get to that as soon as I can get a bit of time to mess around with all the recordings you sent me. B)

I'm working full time now and I have a huuuuge list of (non-work-related) projects to finish up, all with relatively tight deadlines.  They're taking priority over "Things Change" at the moment.  See my signature (Stepmix Musician) for the nature of my current major project, due in January.

Petrie and I are still accepting any recordings you want to send our way though. :) I'll get to them as soon as possible.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Nov 10 2007 on  09:55 PM
I'm working full time now and I have a huuuuge list of (non-work-related) projects to finish up, all with relatively tight deadlines.  They're taking priority over "Things Change" at the moment.  See my signature (Stepmix Musician) for the nature of my current major project, due in January.
Isn't this why Petrie is chipping in? :P: I don't want to do more 'bad' or 'useless' recordings by ignorance of some unknown issue like volume settings, etc., that have messed up my sent recordings.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't want to do more 'bad' or 'useless' recordings by ignorance of some unknown issue like volume settings, etc., that have messed up my sent recordings.
The good news is that your technical stuff seems very very good. :yes  If you want to continue practicing singing the song, feel free to send more recordings.  Keep using the same audio settings you have been using - they work. B)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
If I ever get the house yo myself and have somne free time, I'll do just that. :) I get the house alone often enough, but most of the time that happens, I'm doing school work (I'm homeschooled).

What I did was turn everything up to maximum volume/whatever, for the most part, with a few exceptions. I muted the microphone output, as that served nothing more than to feed whatever the laptop microphone was receiving into my headset. And, then, I dropped the main volume down to one-third of the maximum setting. I tried the maximum setting, but it was sufficiently loud enough to actually pick up your MP3 on the microphone. :lol: I threw that recording away. As was stated, I recorded into a built-in laptop microphone. I had my mouth about 2 feet away from the microphone. Didn't get my singing quite as well, but it reduced the strain on me, as well as some background noise. I'm sure it also helped to have closed doors and to have turned the A/C off. I just used MS Sound Recorder to actually record. I have a save preset entitled "TGOF" so I can select that anytime I want to start a new recording like that. B)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I think some have forgotten about this project or just can't find time for it.  Please give us your status if you have not sent recordings to me.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just installed a new sound card in my laptop, so I'm now ready to record.  Big delays have been going on.  It is the start of school ya know....lots of sick people. :( I just got over another cold and I hope to record now over this nice 4 1/2 day weekend. :D

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Before I try more recordings, I'd like to know how my first batch went (if they were loud enough, if they mixed well, etc.) so I don't do unnecessary recordings from my older method that won't go well, anyway. If they didn't go well, I can do more recordings. If they went well, I can do the harmony part at the end.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
You're ok Manny...no more recordings will be necessary.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Good. :^.^: I'll do some harmony recordings when I can.