The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Spike more devoted to Ducky then Petrie

Guest · 94 · 11122

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Nobody here did attack in any way that would be a violation of the board rules. That's one of the things I said. When everyone is agreeing about the criticism of somebody there is a certain risk however that things might get out of control in case people were trying to outdo each other with the criticism. This did not happen here, but it can and did happen in the past.
Truttle spoke up against this "echoing" and in any case I believe it takes some courage to speak up against such an echo and that's what I think deserves recognition.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I'm really sorry about this all...I was out of line. I'm back now, and I'm gonna make sure I don't do that again.

Something I'm really questioning is, are you really a fan of the series? All I ever see you post it seems are negative things about the series and even the characters. Calling Littlefoot and Ducky dumb, using the F-bomb toward Petrie, saying Cera basically has no right to feel negativity towards her father's new marriage, saying Spike is weird for his growth spurt at birth...really? It seems you don't even care for the main cast .

I am a fan of the series, I just have watched it so much it's discussing it that's more fun now. Ad I do like the main cast. I was out of line about what I said about Petrie---I was upset he wasn't as good of a "boyfriend" to Ducky as Spike is a brother to her, which was crazy.

I don't really think Ducky and Littlefoot are dumb---I just pointed out one incident in which Littlefoot seemed clueless when there was a solution at hand.

I do think Cera could have been nicer to Tria, but admitedly I, like her, was accoustomed to the wa things had been---with just her and her dad. This change occured even later in the series then Littlefoot's dad coming into the picture, giving the viewer even more time to get accoustomed to it, making it an even bigger change. And I, like Cera, hate change. But I do like Tria, so can't you see where this is coming from?

And what I said about Spike? Well, I just stated what I thought were the facts. It was weird what happened to him---outside of movie 7, this is the only strange, supernatural occurence in the series, to my knowledge. OK, other then Littlefoot occasionally hearing the voice of his mom, but like MarzGurlm I'm ok with that---I mea, it didn't feel wrong or seriously weird or anything, like this did!

But I really do like the main cast, and a few things I say about them shouldn't reflect how I think about them as a whole.

Again, I want to apologize about how I acted earlier. I promise I'll do better in the future.

Anyways, it sure is great to be back on here!  :smile

Is it really that impossible for Spike to remember the day he hatched? I would think that coming out of his egg and seeing Ducky for the first time would really stick with him all this time.

Well, now that you tell me it's entirely possible, I willingly accept this theory. I can just imagine how it would go if I asked Spike:

"Really? After all this time?"
Spike (mumbled, barely conprehensible): "Always."

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"Really? After all this time?"
Spike (mumbled, barely conprehensible): "Always."
Is it coincidence or may this dialogue by any chance be inspired by a dialogue between Dumbledore and Snape in the final Harry Potter book?

Bruton the Iguanodon

You guessed right!  ;)

I wondered if anyone here would get the reference. It's one of my favorite exchanges in the series!

Bruton the Iguanodon

Oh, and if you want proof that I like the main cast, Canceria Tiger, here's a quote from a previous post I wrote:

If I lived in the LBT world I'd feed myself to the sharpteeth if it would save the kids from getting eaten by them. Just because I don't like Pterano doesn't mean I agree with some things he says (I put a lot of emphasis on "some".)

Is that good enough for ya?  :smile

Bruton the Iguanodon

No?  :unsure:

Also, I'm sure what the answer is, but just thought I'd ask...did Spike feel guilty too about Ducky's kidnapping, for not being a protective brother or letting her go off like that?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No, I don't think so. As probably the most mentally "ballanced" of the characters I don't believe Spike to be likely to blame himself for something that was not his fault.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not by my interpretation at least.
It is not spelled out so everyone is welcome to make an own interpretation, but personally I consider it rather unlikely. Spike is a simple character in the most positive sense of the word I believe. I believe (and a believe based on many movie scenes it is) him to be a character with a high ability to take joy from simple things in life which many may take for granted. I do not think his simplicity would make it likely for him to construct complex "what if scenarious" that would permit him to end up blaming himself in a somewhat paranoic manner. Even for someone with a more complex way of thinking it would be an odd construction if the individual was blaiming him or herself if he or she had acted just like Spike. They (Spike and Ducky) were right in the peaceful Great Valley, they were utterly clueless about Pterano and his friends and it is a far call from not liking anyone to seehing him as a pottential kidnapper (the much the more as the "reason" for that kidnapping was rather questionable.
I really don't see why Spike should, and even if he was more paranoid, would blame himself. His sadness is well and sufficiently explained by his worries about Ducky. No self-blaming needs to be included to account for it I think.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Hmm...well would you consider it Littlefoot's fault for telling Petrie where the stone was or Cera's for setting Petrie off on the rant that led Ducky to get kidnapped? Or is it all solely Petrie's fault?  :unsure:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
To put it in Rooters words I think this was: "Nobody's fault". Unless my memory cheats me Littlefoot's grandparents say something to the same effect to Cera's father. Not only did they not know about Pterano's background, but I feel even the awareness of his being a powerhungry but not very competent herd leader would not have put them in a position to foresee his actions. The dealing out of blame seems to be rather unnecessary to me in this case.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Does someone need to be blamed? Does someone need to feel guilty about what they did? No, not really. That's something some of us seem obsessed with. We worry too much about pointing fingers at someone when something goes wrong.

Case in point, look at how many people are blaming Obama for our country's recent problems. Look at how many people blame Bush over the deep debt we are currently in. Look at how some people blame vaccines for causing autism. And the list goes on.

Of course, in some cultures, it's different. In one culture, Japan I believe, there's less of a focus on blame. If someone breaks a bed, instead of saying "He did it", they just say "The bed broke". Why? I don't know, other than Japan is less focused on needing a "bad guy" and more interested in just fixing a problem as it occurs. Perhaps this mindset reduces unnecessary arguing over whose fault it was or not.

In LBT7, blame is not really needed to explain what happened. Ducky wandered in the wrong place at the wrong time and got captured. Not one of her friends or the grownups need to be blamed for this. It's something that just happened, and instead of blaming each other, they should focus on action, on going after Ducky and get her back.

And that's the idea Spike seemed to have. He knew his adopted sister was in danger, and he wasn't going to stand idly by and listen to the grownups argue or listen to his friends ponder what to do or blame each other (I think Cera blamed Petrie during this scene). He was going to take action and leave to find Ducky because he knew that in this case, action is more important than blame or guilt.

Bruton the Iguanodon

So LBTFan13 in his first post, as well as Petrie, were wrong? It's not Petrie's fault?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I disagree with the view that Spike was likely to have a strong sense of guilt and self-blaming about what has happened. I consider my view likely and plausible on the basis of what I have seen of Spike in the LBT movies and on the basis of the circumstances of the events of LBT 7.
I am not saying that any other view was therefore wrong and am not going to take any kind of "there can be only one" kind of attitute on a matter that in the end remains a matter of opinion and interpretation.
But to convince me of a view that Spike was feeling guilty and blaming himself I would need arguments in favor of such a view which I considered better than the impressions that I got and that led me to my view.

Bruton the Iguanodon

But what I was asking was, when he said:

Did you even watch LBT 7? Petrie is constantly sobbing about how "this is all my fault" because he feels GUILTY. It IS his fault that Ducky was kidnapped, and he's realizing it throughout the movie. Also, this is the first time he has seen his Uncle in forever, and he idolizes him so it's only natural for him to feel confused about the whole situation. But most of all, he feels guilt that his best friend was taken.

He says it is PEtrie's fault but Malte and Darkhoumon say no.

And Cancerian Tiger, I'm a little worried you still think I hate the main cast. Were the points I made not convincing enough?  :unsure:

Bruton the Iguanodon

Something I'm really questioning is, are you really a fan of the series? All I ever see you post it seems are negative things about the series and even the characters. Calling Littlefoot and Ducky dumb, using the F-bomb toward Petrie, saying Cera basically has no right to feel negativity towards her father's new marriage, saying Spike is weird for his growth spurt at birth...really? It seems you don't even care for the main cast .

You still haven't answered me about this! I'm getting really worried you still think I hate the main cast!  :unsure:

Bruton the Iguanodon

You still haven't answered and I'm seriously worried you still hate the main cast. I gave my reasons why I said that stuff, I've tried to convince you I love the main cast, and yet you still haven't responded. If you found what I said, and my supporting points, inadequate, at least respond to say why. All I know is I'm trying to convince you that I love the gang, from saying why I said those so called "hating" words about the gang to brining up previous posts in which I've proved I love them, yet I can't seem able to convince you. :(  What is it gonna take for me to convince you? I'll really do pretty much anything at this point!

The reason why he wasn't like this in the first movie is because Spike wasn't officially adopted into Ducky's family until AFTER they reached the Great Valley.

Which is, in a way, why I kinda almost liked the gang more in the first movie (besides in the last 2 minutes of it in which Spike gets adopted) because they were all just friends---not family in any way, and I think that way they make a better group.

Ah well, those days are gone.  :cry

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Bruton, you need to calm down. People aren't gonna be on the board every minute of every day. We all have our real lives to take care of. If nobody answers, then you have to be patient. They will answer eventually, but not if you continue to badger people for a response, because then it becomes a chore for people to do so.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Still, is it really all that out of question for Petrie to have been crying like Spike, and being the first one to run up to Ducky when they find her?