The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The harshest industry in the world to work in

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have thought about this quite a bit and I have reached the a debatable conclusion (debate..hence the purpose of this topic. ;) ) that:
the Music industry is the most difficult industry in the world to be successful in financially

Why?

1) The early years are vital:
Learning to play an instrument and/or read music early in life gives a person that much-needed head start to have any hope in the industry in the future.  A person who starts their music training later in life will generally have a much harder time keeping up with the industry as they did not have the luxary of learning music with the young, flexible mind of a child.

2) The initial costs are variable but the reoccurring costs are high:
musical instruments are Not cheap. Even a beginner trumpet, for example, will be at least $200 or so to be a worthwhile purchase.  With luck, a cheaper, good-quality, used instrument can be found.  Electronic keyboards, while cheaper (for basic models) than a piano, feel and play significantly different from an acoustic piano.  The skills do transfer over but it takes time to get used to the difference.
Lessons can become very expensive, especially for a player who is attempting to achieve a high level of skill as lessons will continue for a long duration (years).  Let's not forget university....bachelor of music, master of music, etc...more costs if one is going in that direction.

For those people interested in music production on a computer, the initial costs are high and the reoccurring costs are lower.  The cheapest form of music to produce on a computer is techno/dance music.  There is a large variety of free (or cheap) sortware for producing such genres (hence why there is so much of it out there. It's accessible to anyone).  Techno music production typically requires a less powerful computer than orchestral music production.  Orchestral production is the most expensive genre of music to produce on a computer, with high-end computers being an absolute MUST in order to load all of the orchestra's instruments/sounds into memory and play back in real-time.  For a virtual orchestral package, expect to spend no less than $200.  For high-quality audio, expect to spend a minimum of $500 to $1000...up to a cost of $12,000+...and that's just for the virtual orchestra.  That doesn't count for the host program which is needed to actually *write* the music...this program will run at least another $200, ranging up to $1000+.

For those newbies on a budget, General MIDI is your friend. For $40 (or even less) a new composer can write music in any basic style (with the exception of cvery omplex techno, as effects required in this genre are not very attainable in General MIDI) using MIDI sounds to play back the music.  The problem with this method is that the sound quality of the result is unsatisfactory to be useful in most situations and the resulting file canot be sold commercially (as you do not own the rights to the MIDI sounds in your music. You must produce or purchase your own sounds in order to sell your electronic music work).

The result is that in order to get one's name out there and start selling any original music, significant amounts of money must have already been spent.

3) A tiny percentage of people even make back the money they spent on getting started:
When adding up all of the costs of starting off the music industry, the total can easily be in the thousands of dollars, especially if one has upgraded to an medium-or-professional-level instrument or is producing orchestral music electronically.

4) A lot of people these days expect music to be very cheap (or even free)!  
With the progression of the Internet, file sharing has become more and more popular, especially with movies and music.  Artists need to adapt to this and find a way to make a profit with their work, despite the strong pressures to make music cheaper and cheaper...I attribute this partly to the fact that so much popular music all sounds the same but that's a different topic all together :p

5) getting your name out there.
There are a billion bands on Garageband.com and the like.  How do you make yourself stand out?  What makes you so special?

6) Fierce competition.
There are a LOT of composers and musicians out there fighting over very few jobs.  Only the absolute best of the best have a chance.  That's reality.
-------------------------------

Yes, there are cheap ways to get into music, of course!  Here are a few that I can think of off the top of my head:
1) Buy a cheap wind instrument, such as a recorder, ocarina, etc. and learn on this.  You can learn many important concepts of music on a simple instrument, such as reading music, rhythm, sight-reading, expression. etc.

2) Compose music by hand, on paper, or in a MIDI program such as Noteworthy Composer.  Minimal costs and a lot of opportunity for experience.

3) Find a second-hand instrument at a pawn shop or garage sale.  While you're there, look for second-hand music books.

4) Look online for MIDI files.  With software such as Noteworthy (look above) they can be converted into sheet music, for printing and playing on a live instrument.  Free sheet music!

5) Guitar players: look for guitar tabs online.  They're everywhere.

The problem is, none of these actually get you into the music *industry* directly.

(you can tell I'm bored when I start writing random long posts, LOL) :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks for the information, I'm sure many will find it interesting, even those with no interest in getting into the music industry.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Feb 8 2008 on  07:37 AM
Thanks for the information, I'm sure many will find it interesting, even those with no interest in getting into the music industry.
Yup true I think it is interresting but I do not think about getting into the music industry lol.. Good information.. ^^

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
With the progression of the Internet, file sharing has become more and more popular, especially with movies and music. Artists need to adapt to this and find a way to make a profit with their work, despite the strong pressures to make music cheaper and cheaper...I attribute this partly to the fact that so much popular music all sounds the same but that's a different topic all together

This affects all the rest of the points you made.  Without the low pricing war, P2P, etc. it might actually seem feasable to try to be the best.  The odds now are like winning the lottery that you won't find yourself in the toilet with nothing to show for it.  Carrie Underwood was plain lucky to be where she was, when she was, but you can't ride on that luck to the bank. ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess the music industry is similar to certain other things like being an actor, and others.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
With the progression of the Internet, file sharing has become more and more popular, especially with movies and music. Artists need to adapt to this and find a way to make a profit with their work, despite the strong pressures to make music cheaper and cheaper...I attribute this partly to the fact that so much popular music all sounds the same but that's a different topic all together.

The problem is that the artists get taken in by companies to make their job easier so they just develop music.  This makes music very expensive cuz the selfish companies are charging tons of money for the music.  Most of the money for the songs don't go to the artists. -_- If music didn't cost freaking $1 per song, people wouldn't mind paying for it. :rolleyes: Of course, itunes could never do that, no.  Then they wouldn't get their $.90 per song. :angry:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yup true I think it is interresting but I do not think about getting into the music industry lol
I know, I wrote this topic to encourage more discussion on this forum and out of interest in what others have to think about the music industry in general.

If music didn't cost freaking $1 per song, people wouldn't mind paying for it.
$1 per song is probably a bit high, actually, in most cases.  I look at it this way: How long does it take to completely write and produce one song?  How many hours of work?  How many copies of the song do you intend to sell?   T

he length of time it takes to produce a song really varies depending on the nature of the song. I could write some simple 3-minute in as little as probably 6 or 7 hours and have it ready for release.  Should this song cost as much for a consumer to buy as a 15-minute epic symphonic track that took months to write, record mix/master?  3 guesses whick track cost more to produce! :p

Just because a song costs more to produce doesn't mean it will sell better.  I've heard very very simple songs on the radio ("Hey There Delilah" (spelling?) is the example in my mind right now) and whatnot that probably earned its artist/record company millions more than some HUGE, impressive tracks which aren't as mainstream and don't make it to the radio...it's like producing a big-budget film that just doesn't get the viewers for whatever reason.  In my example, "Hey There Deliliah" (anyone here know this song?) I honestly think it sounds like something amateur that a musician would write to his girlfriend, not to be sold to a huge record company and broastcast across the continent.  I can see that this song is close-to-home and is nice, but it always sounded to me like a song like this just...doesn't need to be out in the open.  I don't fully understand why it's so popular, I really don't find it very interesting to listen to.

By the way, the lyrics to my example song can be found here:
http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/plainwhitets...eredelilah.html

Anyway, where am I going with this?
Let's say a song took 80 hours to write and produce...therefore it's not a hugely complex song which probably took most of that time practicing the performance.
Let's say it sells for $1 per song.
Let's say 10,000 people buy the song.
Let's say the artist is an independant who is not going through a record company (though selling 10,000 copies without a record company is very hard, it's just an example)

$10,000 for 80 hours of work...
I put in 80 hours work work at my job for less than $1,000...
That's a pretty good return! :)

Let's say $0.50 per song.  That's $5,000 in profit, assuming all equipment expenses are paid already.

Let's say $.50 per song and 2,000 sales.  That's $1,000 for 80 hours of work, which isn't really a living wage...not if you don't want to rent a tiny apartment anyway...and try recording songs in an apartment...landlords don't like that too much!  

Let's face it, 80 hours of work to produce one song isn't a heck of a lot of time.  A song may not even sell 2,000 copies at $.50 per song.  

The vast majority of struggling musicians need to face the fact that getting large volumes of sales is nearly impossible unless they bite the bullet and sign on with a record company, which really cuts into their profit, assuming that the artist/band produces music that the record company feels is profitable in the first place!  
Now if we're selling 10,000 copies and making $.10 per song, that's...again...$1,000 of profit made.  Looks like the musician can't quit his day job just yet.
40 hour work week
40 hour song writing week.
Our musician is a very busy guy. :p