The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Broadway/Musicals

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I'm shocked no one has made this topic yet! :blink: Even more shocking, I would think Adam would have already posted something like this, since -I think- he is a fan of broadway and anything musical related.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong. :unsure: )

Anyway, do you guys like musicals? What are your favorites and why? And what are your least favorites and why? Also, feel free to list the musicals you have seen! :)

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's my list:

Musicals:
(from memory)

*Autism: The Musical (on TV)
*The Lion King
*The Phantom of the Opera(movie and Orpeium Theatre)
*Wicked
*RENT (movie)

Musicals I want to see:
*Beauty and the Beast

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
*bump* Didn't even notice this one slip by me.  I have a lot of musicals in my collection, and have been down to see them in NYC and performed by local theaters as well. :)

Seen live:

Lion King
Spamalot
Avenue Q

Own soundtrack to:

A Chorus Line
A Year with Frog and Toad
Anything Goes
Avenue Q
Beauty and the Beast
Chicago (film version only)
Cinderella
Fiddler on the Roof (film version only)
Finding Nemo
Grease
Hairspray (film version only)
Into the Woods
King and I (film version only)
Lion King
Music Man (film version only)
Oklahoma (film version only)
Once Upon a Mattress (broadway only)
Phantom of the Opera (broadway only)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Showboat (film version only)
Singing in the Rain
Sound of Music (both versions)
Urinetown
West Side Story (film version)
Wicked
Wizard of Oz (film version)
Wonderful Town

I also have some compilation albums that have hits from all different musicals as well.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^Wow! They will make anything as a musical... :p (Seriously, Finding Nemo?)

I do think the quality of theatre is going up and the quality of movies are going down. Musicals at least tell stories, movies don't tell stories anymore, they just give some spiffy effects for us to go "ooh, ahh" at. :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Yes there is a Finding Nemo musical.  It can be seen down at Animal Kingdom at WDW.  It actually is really cool...combination of puppetry and hand puppets.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Today I went to a Jungle Book musical from a small acting group. They were all kids/teenagers and while the acting was pretty good, sadly enough the lights/sound effects were not very well taken care of.

Some bigger musicals I've been to:

Tommy (dutch version)
The Lion King (in Canada)
We Will Rock You (In London)

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
There's also Sweeny Todd,Little Shop Of Horrors and Annie.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Seen live:

*The Lion King
*Forever Plaid
*Beauty and the Beast
*West Side Story

Seen only the film versions:

*Guys and Dolls
*Cinderella
*Evita
*Fiddler on the Roof
*Grease
*Into the Woods
*Oklahoma!
*Sound of Music
*Wizard of Oz
*Annie
*Sister Act

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Nov 21 2010 on  06:58 AM
Yes there is a Finding Nemo musical.  It can be seen down at Animal Kingdom at WDW.  It actually is really cool...combination of puppetry and hand puppets.
I didn't mean that in an insulting way, I just was kind of surprised they would try to make a musical out of that film, considering that it's Pixar and when I think of Pixar, I don't think of musicals. :p That's all.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Suessical the Musical
Aesop's Fables.
How to eat like a child and other lessons on not being a grownup.

And guess what else? I'VE BEEN IN ALL OF THEM!!!! Not the actual perfessional performance, just something that my theater group was able to pull off. I was the Mayor oh Whoville in Suessical, The wind and sheep number 1 in Aesop, and Rebecca in HTELACAOLONBAGU. And I own the soundtrack for Suessical and Aesop, sadly a soundtrack for HTELACAOLONBAGU isn't in existence. It's all piano sheet music.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Nov 21 2010 on  11:07 PM
Quote from: Petrie,Nov 21 2010 on  06:58 AM
Yes there is a Finding Nemo musical.  It can be seen down at Animal Kingdom at WDW.  It actually is really cool...combination of puppetry and hand puppets.
I didn't mean that in an insulting way, I just was kind of surprised they would try to make a musical out of that film, considering that it's Pixar and when I think of Pixar, I don't think of musicals. :p That's all.
when somebody love me,
everything was beautiful.
Every hour we spent together, lives within my heart....

That not ring a bell? Yeah, I know, not really a musical number, just a little montage song, I guess.

As for musicals I've seen:

Billy Elliot- For a story about a boy from County Durham during the miners' strike learning how to ballet-dance, it's a surprisingly good story! And the musical numbers are pretty intense and fun... Especially the one from when he discovers his best friend is a casual transvestite, and they have a whole musical number about dressing up as women (complete with dancing disembodied dresses).

The Lion King- Oh man... Probably the first proper play I ever saw, and it's stuck with me always. Everything was just so well done and thought out, and the costumes were brilliant... Except for Timone and Pumba. In a play where the costumes were primarily head-dresses and makeup, they looked almost like something out of a panto.

The Lord Of The Rings- Another surprisingly good musical. Huge budget and amazing effects (I still have nightmares about when Shelob appeared), and really good songs too, especially "The Road Goes On", "The Cat and The Moon" and "Lothlorien"

I've seen some other musicals, including bits from DVDs of Cats, Into The Woods, and plenty of pantos (Though I hardly consider pantos as theatre, let alone musicals), but I've forgotten them all. My parents aren't that into musicals, they prefer regular plays.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I have only ever been to one Musical. It was Starlight Express which is performed for more than 20 years in my current hometown and I went there with Jason when he was at my place. I enjoyed it a lot.
There are many musicals which I would love to see and of which I have heard some music without having seen the actual musical. I would be particularly interested in seeing the performance of "Les Miserables". It used to be performed in a nearby town but unfortunately it ran for only a few years and I was not interested at that time. Not only is "Les Miserable" a musical with a historic background but also some of the music is just plain awesome.
Lion King too is of course one I would love to see.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
^ Lion King is very cool live.  If you ever get to the states, its something you should try and go see if you can.  Definitely a unique way to represent animal characters on stage.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have only seen the TLK musical.  I saw it in 2001 in London.  It is a show that is worth it.  I also own the soundtrack; Endless Night and Shadowland are two additonal songs that really do flesh out the characters of Nala and Simba and I really do wish that when they had released the TLK on DVD and added the Morning Report, they should have added Shadowland and/or Endless Night instead.  

I am ashamed to say that this is the only musical that I have seen.

My mum has seen Sound of Music in Switzerland and Mamma Mia in London.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Just a little thought I'm throwing out there, I apologise in advance for potentially derailing the topic:

Am I the only person who has thought about a Land Before Time stage show? Not necessarily a musical, but just a stage-retelling of the original film? In terms of costumes and characters, I'd imagine the 5 main characters could be done similarly to Cats, with skintight suits with their skin patterns on them and maybe the spinal ridge, and some sort of headpiece (such as Cera's crest, Petrie's horn and beak, etc), while the larger dinosaurs like the adults, Sharptooth, etc. could be done as puppets of some sort.
Any other ideas?

petter19

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I love musicals and I have seen Chicago which I consider one of the best 90s broadway musicals. I also thought the 2002 film version of Chicago was really good too.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Allicloud,May 28 2011 on  11:14 AM
Just a little thought I'm throwing out there, I apologise in advance for potentially derailing the topic:

Am I the only person who has thought about a Land Before Time stage show? Not necessarily a musical, but just a stage-retelling of the original film? In terms of costumes and characters, I'd imagine the 5 main characters could be done similarly to Cats, with skintight suits with their skin patterns on them and maybe the spinal ridge, and some sort of headpiece (such as Cera's crest, Petrie's horn and beak, etc), while the larger dinosaurs like the adults, Sharptooth, etc. could be done as puppets of some sort.
Any other ideas?
That is an interesting idea.  It worked well in the stage production of 'The Lion King'.  Additionally, with modern animontronic dinosaur suits, the dinosaurs could potentially really come to life.  In fact, that could be a good way of separating the main cast (who would be in skintight suits like in the show Cats) whereas the minor characters could be in full animontronics.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.