The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cultural references in songs?

Saft · 7 · 1654

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Aye, are there any cultural references in songs that you have come across?

I have one that I didn't like the song but I appreciated the cultural reference of the Odyssey in Nick Cave's No News From Nowhere.
No News from Nowhere

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I would hate to see a good thread get zero replies. This poses an interesting question, one I’ve not considered before. I’m not too into music in general. I don’t listen to it all that much. While I enjoy a pleasant song, I’m just not in the mood for one all that often. There is one song that poses an interesting (to me at least) cultural reference. It is called “Beast and the Harlot.” Like your situation above, I do not like the song at all. If it was being offered to me for free, I would say, “No thanks.” I just don’t get into music like that. I heard it once and that was more than enough for me. Nonetheless, it poses a cultural reference to the book of Revelations in the Bible. Being Christian, that was enough to get my attention. It talked about Babylon and the seven headed beast and whatnot, something the last book in the Bible focuses on. So while I have nothing good to say about the song experience, I do appreciate its biblical cultural reference.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Good question and I know this isn't a very 'cultural reference' but I heard that if you play some songs backwards, you can hear the Devils number which most of you should know, but I won't say it out of respect. And a whole lotta things about satanic worship and revalations in the Bible. Don't start getting mad at me yet, I too, am a Christian, so I think that these things are very horrible.  But I've never heard it so I wouldn't know, but I'm just saying. -_-

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Many references. And by cultural do you mean just mythology, or else things relevant to our modern culture, such as drugs, political themes (e.g. racism, wars (Cold, World War Three), totalitarism), urban life in general? This sound like a very broad category to me.
But I'll stick to mytholoogy.
In rock music, and especially in metal music, one can often find references to Satan and figures and events from various mythologies. The most often is Norse mythology, probably because of the barbaric image of ancient Scandinavians, and because many famous metal bands come from Scandinavia. Bands from Finland also reference Kalevala (Ensiferum, Turisas), and black and death metal bands from Russia, Ukraine, Croatia often reference Slavic mythology. Bands from Turkey, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan refer to Turkic mythology. Heavy metal bands don't refer often to mythology. The Russian heavy metal band Aria has a song called Ikar (Icarus). Iron Maiden has songs with historical references (Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan). They probably have a mythological reference, but I can't remember it right now.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I only used mythology as an example as I don't listen to that many songs with cultural reference into them.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Wind of change by the Scorpions is basically made up of references to the time it was written (end of cold war).

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" is full of them. ;)