The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

thelandbeforetime.org?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Last time I was in touch with him was about a year ago when we were having some issues with our domain name. No, I don't really go to his website.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
His site never had much to offer in comparison to our forum so I never bothered to be active there. Same for the wiki or any other places. They just divert theh fandom from gathering in one place. Right here :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
His site never had much to offer in comparison to our forum so I never bothered to be active there. Same for the wiki or any other places. They just divert theh fandom from gathering in one place. Right here

I'm sorry, but that's like saying we don't need the Gang of Five Discord server as it ''divides'' attention from one place, that ultimately is the forum itself. And by claiming that other sites never had much to offer is just plain rude, if you ask me. All of these sites have always something to offer to the fanbase, no matter how small it may be. By dividing the attention to other websites, that way new members could be attracted to join. I probably wouldn't have joined if I didn't find an ounce of interest in the fanfiction section that ultimately lead me here from FF.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Last time I was in touch with him was about a year ago when we were having some issues with our domain name. No, I don't really go to his website.

Were you and Austin ever good friends? If so, then why did the communication end abruptly? :(

His site never had much to offer in comparison to our forum so I never bothered to be active there. Same for the wiki or any other places. They just divert theh fandom from gathering in one place. Right here :)

While I don't have any incentive to join his site myself, I still think it's a good because it attracts LBT newcomers as Anagnos already mentioned.

I wouldn't have found the GOF if it weren't for the LBT wiki, so at least some credit should be given to those other LBT sites. Wouldn't you agree?

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I received a reply from Austin:

Sorry I just saw your email now.  Yes, I haven’t been managing the website for quite some time and it looks like spambots have taken over.  It’s a constant battle trying to stay one step ahead of them and it looks like they broke through all my defenses!  At this point there are so many garbage accounts it’s going to be a big job to get rid of them.  I’ll work on it.

Thanks,

Austin

He's a busy man, so it'll probably be a while before everything is back to normal again, but he is at least aware of the issue and will be working on it when he can :yes

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
@Mumbling: Thanks for the update. At least we can all be assured that the spambot problem will eventually be resolved. But yes, I understand it will be awhile before the spam on the website is completely abolished. :yes

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@Anagnos the discord server is only for gang of five members so your point is invalid in that regard. Everyday chat doesn't really happen on the forum anyway (because off-topic conversations are frowned upon) so the discord is a huge innovation. It makes friendships and allows for better chats than any PM could ever offer.
LBT-related discussions are rare on the discord and on the forum nowadays so there probably isn't any influence here.
Discord improves the ability and speed of discussion for many things, may it be the prompt challenges, roleplays or projects so it is a huge gain for us.

I did not notice any significant decline in activity in the Beyond the Mysterious Beyond forums either except for threads like the "How are you feeling" thread. And as for the After Midnight... We all know it is a good place when there is not a lot of discussion there and the discord long since has gotten rid of it.

I find it a little hard to believe you saying that the discord server is taking attention from the forum because most things the discord server offers aren't really possible to do on the forum and vice versa. They complement each other and given your activity on both, I don't think you were 100% behind your statement.

It's true that other places can be a great advertising opportunity for a place like the gang of five but they shouldn't have enough features to be a rival for membership. The reason the GoF is going strong to this day (besides the amazing community) is the wide variety of things that you can do on here. It offers almost everything you need as a fan of the franchise.
I found the GoF through an inactive German forum so I know these places should not cease to exist, just not steal attention from us, the main LBT community. That's what I was trying to get across with my statement and not whatever rude statement you may have accidentally read into it.

Anyways, back on topic, I'm glad you were able to reach LBT lover. Time to purge the spam bots, I guess :lol
Inactive, probably forever.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
@Ducky123 Correct me if I have misunderstood you, but it felt like you are claiming that I've said Discord is taking away attention from the forum?

I find it a little hard to believe you saying that the discord server is taking attention from the forum

This part truly feels like you're accusing me of something that I haven't done, but I would wish you clarify the topic a little, if you don't mind. I feel like what you're trying to convey here is that Discord is not taking attention away from the forum, is that right? The phrasing is enough to yield me a reason to believe so, but like I said, clarification would be most appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:40:33 AM by Anagnos »

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ I think might indeed be a misunderstanding here. Ducky doesn't think that the Discord server takes away attention from the forum, just like you (Anagnos) don't believe it takes away attention from the forum.

As for other Land Before Time related websites:
  • I think the wiki is a whole different kind of place. A place of sharing knowledge, rather than a place for discussions on various topics. It contributes a lot to keeping the Land Before Time alive, and has probably attracted quite a few new members here.
  • Places to share fanart and fanfiction are similarly used to attract new members here, and most of the time works of art are posted both here on the forum and on dedicated platforms, such as DA or Fanfiction.net.

I have yet to see another website or forum that people are more attracted to than the Gang of Five when it comes to discussing the Land Before Time. I don't want to claim that we are "the best", since that is rather egocentric, but I don't think there are many other discussion platforms for LBT out there. All other websites contribute to keeping the franchise alive in other ways, whether it is by sharing knowledge, memes, or art, and they all have a place next to us.

I have definitely seen the effect of Discord on this forum, but there is both a positive and negative effect. The negative is that certain discussions are only held on the Discord channel, which leads to anyone on the forum missing out on that discussion and that information. I cannot say if this has actually led to fewer posts or not. The very clear positive effect is that we finally have a live chat in place, something that people have been asking for throughout the entire existence of the GoF. It definitely helps with keeping people who prefer instant messaging over slow messaging around.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Two cents here. :P

Mumbling is right, the initial misconception was that Anagnos suggested that Discord is taking attention away as a hypothetical scenario (hence the: that's like saying that) when actually his opinion is exactly the same as yours, Ducky - the server doesn't draw attention away from the forum. :p Probably the wording there.

And I concur with Mumbling's points. As someone who was part of another web forum that absolutely and positively went completely and utterly dead once all the members flocked to Discord because of live chat, the server hasn't led to the GoF's demise and instead it still thrives. This is because Discord compliments friendships rather well with more personal conversations conducted there compared to the public forum posts, but there is still incentive to go onto the forum. Some things and posts can only be made on the forum, and there are some members who aren't on the server.

On that note LBT is a bit rare in that as a niche fandom we have a few centralized communities, with GoF being the one of the ones that have subsisted. Typically in more modern fandoms, there is an individualistic and decentralized impact to it (ie. a creator/fan can get well-known by themselves on their own brand through Amino or something), or they can contact show creators direct or something, driving constant discussion. But Land Before Time is so niche and relatively old that every fresh blood counts. I understand the desire for a single centralized fansite to host all LBT fans ala Amino & Tumblr, but inevitably when the small fan wants to get their voices herd, they will be clustering to the sites which cater to their needs best, basically any place where they can interact with other fans, and that may include the wiki and other fan sites. My personal hope is that this will be GoF, but so long as they are LBT fans the door will be open for them one day if they open their horizons. :Mo
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Update!!

Austin has returned to the forum. There's still a lot that needs to be done, but he's stated that he is aware of the problem and is taking steps to correct it.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Update!!

Austin has returned to the forum. There's still a lot that needs to be done, but he's stated that he is aware of the problem and is taking steps to correct it.

Great! That’s the first phase of the issue eliminated right there and then. It is a bit unfortunate that the registration system had to be disabled, but desperate times calls for desperate measures, especially with the automatic creation of spam accounts and a whopping total of 50,000 spam posts. I was worried that it may take a long time to get rid of all the extra posts, and Austin’s statement seems to confirm my suspicions. I can’t imagine what it’d be like to run your own business, but it’s sure very hectic and time consuming!

Thanks for the update, Stardust! :yes

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Lol! Extremely late response, but still it's better late than never. :OhYou :lol

I assume account making is still disabled though?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
it will take at least a few weeks to get rid of them all. for reference, i'm the  most prolific poster on here and thats almost 9000 more posts than i have posted in the 16 years  I've been on this forum. It took us 3 years , as an entire forum,  to get to 50000 posts.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
That site has roots all the way back to 2004 (because it was mine, and I eventually gave all the stuff, code to Austin).  At least its not stuck in 2004.  :yum

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Spambots are like Aparoids, infecting all they tpuch. God speed to Austin quelling their siege.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith