The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bionicle

Andy-rex

• Ruby
    • View Profile
My first bionicle set that i ever baught was tahu,But over time i began to notice that i had a much larger interest in Pohatu.I have just about every set from 01 to 08.I might not be buying every set anymore because 1. they are beginning to get a little pricey and 2. I'm starting to realize they are mostly inika clones if you catch my drift ( the canister sets).

Some of my all time fav canister sets are the barraki,They were all so awesome and different in every way.I am one of the seldom bionicle fans that actually liked the piraka,Many people complained that they had too many powers but i beg to differ.For once a "bad guy" was actully a very tough foe,Instead of having one or two powers they had multiple things to help them squash any whp opposed them.

As for the story line,I drift in and out.The writer are constantly trying to think up new twists and turns but after 07 i really couldn't stomache the cliche story elements that were made to be read by kids.I really want like a graphic novel of some sort for older readers and NOT the toddlers.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For anybody who's interested, you should check out the official Bionicle website: http://bionicle.lego.com/en-US/default.aspx There's a few sneak peeks at the up-coming Bionicle movie, which I will definitely be seeing when in comes out in September. You might be pleasantly surprised at who some of the voice actors are.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just read the latest news from bzpower.com: http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=4419

Basically, what this means is that, after the beginning of next year, there won't be anymore new sets being released (at least in the foreseeable future). But the story will continue. Here's a quote from Greg Farshtey, the writer of Bionicle himself:
If there is a bright side to this, it is this: in the past, the story has been very much shackled to the sets. It had to feature as many sets as possible for that year, it couldn't spend much time on past sets/characters, and was by and large confined to one location. Now the shackles are off. Stories can focus on a lot of characters or just a few, with any mix of old and more current ... stories you guys have wanted to see, but couldn't, because of the need to show current sets can now be delved into ... it is, in a sense, a whole new day for the BIONICLE story. LEGO is 100% behind keeping the story going on BIONICLEstory.com, and I gladly said yes when they asked if I would keep writing it. So let's take the story forward together from summer 2010 on.

Greg

- Berix

Compy-Rex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm not really surprised. I only had 5 2008 sets (Vamprah, Onua Nuva, Radiak, Solek, and the green Rockoh T3 or whatever) and 4 2009 sets (Stronius, Metus, Vastus, and Tarix) I plan on buying all the Stars, however. Well, once we learned about the Stars actually being in the story, I figured the end was near, but I figured there'd be at least some more sets. At least the story is continuing.

Bionicle will have a replacement in 2010 (Those rather bad looking Ben 10 sets will be for a younger audience). Look at Bionicle this way, like the undersea line, there was Aqua Raiders, maybe 2-3 years ago. Now there is an Atlantis line. Same with space. 2000-ish had Life on Mars, 2006-2008 had Mars Mission, now theres Space Police. Lego Technic had those Throwbots in the late-1990's, then Roboriders. Then came Bionicle in 2001. Think of it as a continuation, using existing parts and creating a new storyline.

Of course, I have recently got back into Bionicle, thanks to Vastus, Stronius, and the Stars. Not surprisingly, I receive my first Mctoran/Tohunga build (Huki) ever, the day after I learn of this. :rolleyes:

Anywho, The Chronicler, do you have a large Kanohi collection?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Let me put it this way, I'm handling this news far better than a number of people on bzpower. Besides, the story is still going to continue. Without any new sets coming, this will allow further character development of characters we already know instead of introducing new ones or transforming old ones.

Also, Lego will still sell buildable figures (which is what Bionicle sets really were), they just won't be called Bionicle. Those Ben 10 sets will be released in early 2010 (I'm obviously not going to buy those). A new line of sets will be released in summer 2010 which we won't know anything about until February, based on what I've heard.

Sure, I'm a little sad to know that the Stars will be the last Bionicle sets (as far as we know), but at least now I won't have to worry about overcrowded shelf space in my room. Also, if the new line of sets sell really well, there's a possibility that Lego may one day bring back Bionicle sets.

Edit: No, I never bothered collecting any Kanohi. I only bought the sets.

- Berix

Compy-Rex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Nov 29 2009 on  01:00 PM
Also, Lego will still sell buildable figures (which is what Bionicle sets really were), they just won't be called Bionicle. Those Ben 10 sets will be released in early 2010 (I'm obviously not going to buy those). A new line of sets will be released in summer 2010 which we won't know anything about until February, based on what I've heard

Edit: No, I never bothered collecting any Kanohi. I only bought the sets.
Yeah. I won't bother with the Ben 10, but the unknown line I probably will buy.

About the Kanohi, I never really got any besides the ones that came with the figure. 8 1/2 years later, I regret not getting the Kanohi packs.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
One thing interesting about Bionicle: it has been a LEGO brand for basically a fifth of the company's history...

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks to my frequent visits to bzpower, I've known for nearly a month a few things about the new line of sets that will replace Bionicle sets later this year. They're called Hero Factory.

Some recent news from bzpower, some pictures and descriptions of these Hero Factory sets:
http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=4538
http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=4541

The story seems interesting to me. I also find the sets interesting, but I won't be buying any of them. (Mostly because I simply don't know where I would put them.)

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Also, there's a new game on Bionicle.com. It's a tower defense game (whatever type of game that's supposed to be). Here's the link, if anyone's interested:
http://bionicle.lego.com/en-us/games/agoridefender.aspx

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
With today marking my 4th year here on GoF, I decided to bring up this topic once more. Not much has happened for Bionicle recently, aside from the fact that Bzpower.com came back online about a month or two ago after the forums were taken down for months for a much-needed upgrade.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in playing any of the games that were once on the official Bionicle website years ago, I found a site where you can actually download them, though I have yet to find the time to try any of them. (Just so you're aware, this website is considered a fan project.)
Bionicle online games archive

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Today's news on BZPower: the official Bionicle website on Lego.com will be taken down a few weeks from now.

I'll admit that I'm a little saddened by this, but given the fact that it's gotten virtually no updates since Bionicle ended nearly three years ago, the surprising thing should not be that it's being removed, but that it's been kept up for this long.

I suppose now is a good opportunity to mention a quote from the writer of Bionicle from a few years ago:
Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-GregF

One more thing: I recently found a fan project website where all past online games and videos are available to play, both online and for download.
BioMedia Project

- Berix

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I never bought any of the bionicle's set at all. I never saw the point it was only gonna take up space and collect dust. But I knew people that loved them and collected all the hard to find sets and stuff. But I did see the three animated bionicle movies and they where pretty good not the best but okay.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Today, September 16, marks the 10th anniversary of the release of the first Bionicle movie, Mask of Light. I know some members here have mentioned seeing this movie before, so I just wanted to point this out for everyone. I think I'll watch this movie again later this week, to mark this occasion.

- Berix

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Welp. Time to feel old *eye twitch*

That was the time that I really starting shipping. And shipping HARD.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Someone on BZPower has recently completed a rather ambitious project: a complete dictionary of the Matoran language. If you've ever wondered about what the names of certain places or people mean, this massive fan project does a remarkably good job of explaining it all. I must say I am very impressed to see this guy went through so much time and effort to put it all together.

Here are the links to it, if anyone is interested:
Matoran Dictionary: Volume I, Volume II, Volume III, Volume IV, Volume V, Volume VI, Volume VII, Volume VIII

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Big news! Earlier today, Lego officially announced that Bionicle will be returning next year! :D
http://bzpower.com/story.php?ID=6965

The rumors have been going around the internet for weeks now, but I wanted to wait for official confirmation from the Lego company before getting my hopes up. Now that we finally have, I honestly can't wait to see what will be coming in 2015! :)

- Berix

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
What is so attractive about Bionicle? I'm just wondering, because I've got friends in all 3 of my fandoms who are super stoked about Bionicle. There are so many nostalgic toys from our youths, I'm just curious what Bionicle did so right. Don't mean to sound rude or dismissive or anything.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Robots! Robots with their own world, language, and history!
I struggled with the appeal, but got sucked right into it after watching the first movie, going from "Uuuugh, this is so dumb brothers, why do you--*watches movie* I want bionicles for Christmas now!"

But yeah, we're pretty excited for the comeback...not sure if we'll still do the sets for Christmas thing (especially since the project to rebuild ALL the bionicles in the house has been put on hiatus :lol ), but that's still so cool!

But boy, the BZpower site hasn't changed at all since I was on the forums waaay back in 2005 and 2006...which makes me feel old...that was almost nine years ago

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Hmmmm, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining :)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Today, at New York ComiCon, the new Bionicle was officially unveiled. It is now confirmed without a doubt that this will be a reboot and not a continuation of the old story in any way. There's just way too many things right now for me to provide links to for more information, so I'll just point out the main site on lego.com.

http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle

At this time, the only content there are short bios of the six Toa. Their personality quirks are a little different from the old story, but they still have the classic names (despite one of them having a typo).

- Berix