The Land Before Time > General Land Before Time

Superior Kids or Incompetent Adults? Both!

<< < (2/6) > >>

oogaboo:
Speaking of children bein' smarter than adults; Are you smarter than a fifth grader?  :lol:

WeirdRaptor:
If you mean "do I know useless over-complicated mathematics that most people will never use and equally useless history trivia that most people don't need but still gets crammed into our heads at school on a regular basis anyway", then no, I don't. I have actual, practical knowledge that I use for my adult career which I largely learned outside of school.

I would love to go onto Foxworthy's show and be put against a kid to answer how to repair a hydroplant generator, fix the plant's phonelines, or how to force open a dam lock without dying a horrible death. Let's see those brats outdo an adult then.

Kor:
That does seem to be the easiest way to write juvenile fiction and things aimed at kids, is to make the kids very competent, and make the adults incompetent, evil, huge jerks, ect.

WeirdRaptor:
I think it all goes back to the fact that the original film made this work the best and the writers in the sequels struggled to keep Littlefoot and co in the spotlight. The situation originally wasn't useless adults. It was "no adults, pull together to survive this impossible situation". Then they reached the valley.

Frankly, I liked how they handled there being adults in the LBTII, where the gang worked themselves into deeper and deeper trouble the more they left the adults out of the loop.

Malte279:
While I too think it worked out well in LBT 2 I also think there would have been the risk of a certain piece of criticism ending up aimed at the kids rather than the adults: "Don't these idiots ever learn at all?" Which might not sit too well with the characters.
Perhaps the trick would really be to create situations in which the characters had no other choice than to do what must be done, but in a place like the Great Valley this is not as easily done as in the situation they were in in the original movie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version