The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

So, with all the Disney remakes doing well.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
More or less... Would you accept a "Land Before Time" remake if they could do it well? I know I made a topic about this a long time ago where I was much, much more cynical about it, but its 2019 now, and... LBT is basically history, and I am not okay with that.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
"Doing well", as in financially? If so, well, I still would be very hesitant about the prospect of a remake/reboot happening. These movies may have made a profit, but I hear so many divided reactions from the fandom. Plus, I've seen some footage if these remakes and they don't look very good compared to the originals. I don't just want an LBT remake to make a profit; I want it to please a healthy portion of the fanbase. If a majority of the fanbase is pleased, then I'm bound to be pleased as well.

My only wish is to have the best and brightest in Hollywood behind the LBT remake if it ever happens. What "best and brightest" means, I don't have the most concrete clue.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
A remake would require dinomania, and despite Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and the upcoming Dominion, interest has ebbed. Kids will always love dinisaurs, but you need dino fever to motivate Universal to dare and remake this classic. I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Well, you can mark me down as someone who would definitely NOT want a remake. :anger That would be the final nail in the coffin of the classic LBT movies we all know and love, and it probably would let us down. I mean, name one remake of anything that has done fans of the original whatever-it-was justice. Those Disney remakes are getting really old in my opinion...Beauty and the Beast is the only one I've been fond of much (and the only one that's gotten a very good fan reception in general, if I recall correctly).

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind a remake as long Anndi McAfee and Aria Curzon reprise their roles because I've gotten used to their voices.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I posted this a while ago in a different thread, but I'll say it again here.

A remake actually makes more sense to me at this point. I sort of feel they've taken it as far as they can with simply making more sequels. A remake could be a good chance to put a fresh new spin on things. The rebooted Planet of the Apes series is proof that, sometimes, starting over is the best way to breathe new life into a franchise. I don't normally feel that way with franchises; usually I prefer a traditional sequel that keeps the same storyline going, rather than hitting the reset button. But with Land Before Time, a 15th film would probably just be another lighthearted musical (which I'd still watch anyway). Whereas the idea of a remake is more interesting to me because then I wonder, how would they take the original film and approach it from a different angle?

I'm not worried about them "ruining" the original Land Before Time, in the sense that it simply couldn't happen for me. I love the original film, and regardless of anything else that happens, I can always go back and watch the original again.

I would welcome a second season of the TV series, however.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
It's funny to think how Disney's remake of The Lion King actually drew so much attention to the probably forgotten and overall secluded 1965 anime series of Kimba The White Lion. It was so inexcusable for Disney to file a cease and desist against Tezuka Productions when they aired the Jungle Emperor Leo movie in 1997, three years after the release of The Lion King. So I guess it's kinda payback after so many years of stealing their attention and claiming to be "original", but technically no justice was ever served.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile

A remake actually makes more sense to me at this point. I sort of feel they've taken it as far as they can with simply making more sequels. A remake could be a good chance to put a fresh new spin on things. The rebooted Planet of the Apes series is proof that, sometimes, starting over is the best way to breathe new life into a franchise. I don't normally feel that way with franchises; usually I prefer a traditional sequel that keeps the same storyline going, rather than hitting the reset button. But with Land Before Time, a 15th film would probably just be another lighthearted musical (which I'd still watch anyway). Whereas the idea of a remake is more interesting to me because then I wonder, how would they take the original film and approach it from a different angle?

I'm not worried about them "ruining" the original Land Before Time, in the sense that it simply couldn't happen for me. I love the original film, and regardless of anything else that happens, I can always go back and watch the original again.

I guess I'd just be afraid they'd try too hard to modernize things and mess it up...

I DO agree that a second TV series season would be cool, though!

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If nothing else, I can't help but long for a return to the darker tone of the first movie, and I feel at this point that a remake would be the most likely way for that to happen.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Something rather interesting popped into my head when reading this comment. Let's say that they decide to bring back the series with a remake, I would long for them to add the deleted scenes that we've never seen before. It would certainly help to make it a bit different instead of showing the same film with updated graphics.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

I guess I'd just be afraid they'd try too hard to modernize things and mess it up...

My fear too. I worry they’ll bring social issues and politics into the reboot that will divide fans and cause tension.

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
A remake could be good with the experience Universal has with putting dinosaurs in CGI in the Jurassic World movies.  Unless they pass it as a animated remake by Illumination or DreamWorks, in which you probably know those two companies might mess up badly.  Honestly, a live action movie, fine by me, but making an animated remake by the companies that brought you Despicable Me and Shrek, don’t think about it Universal.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Something rather interesting popped into my head when reading this comment. Let's say that they decide to bring back the series with a remake, I would long for them to add the deleted scenes that we've never seen before. It would certainly help to make it a bit different instead of showing the same film with updated graphics.

I too have had this thought before. Since I doubt we'll ever see the actual uncut version at this point, but incorporating those lost scenes into a brand new version of the film would be a great idea. It would be a nice way to expand on the original film's foundation.

My fear too. I worry they’ll bring social issues and politics into the reboot that will divide fans and cause tension.

While I don't want them to try too hard to modernize it (I'd prefer a more traditional approach myself), I'm not super worried about it either. Since it's a prehistoric cartoon about dinosaurs, they'd really have to be stretching to try and bring modern-day politics into it. Although granted, the original film dealt with the issue of racism, and pulled it off well.

That said, I'm more open to the idea of a traditional 15th film (as in, not a reboot) now than I was when I made my above post. I would welcome that quite a bit actually. I guess really, any sort of continuation would be satisfying at this point. But I still think a remake would be a great idea if it was done right.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 03:26:38 PM by StardustSoldier »

LittlefootOnASkateboard

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
As long as it's not a live-action remake I suppose...

At this time, I would be incredibly excited to see a Land Before Time - anything. Although I'd much prefer something more akin to the original 2D style of the movies and its sequels then some sort of modern, high-definition CGI thing that lets you see the pores in Littlefoots face and makes all the characters mildly terrifying.

Whatever they make, I hope it has the endearing warmth and honesty of the original.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Actually, yeah, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want it to be live-action either. I too would prefer something akin to the original 2D style. Although failing that, I would be fine with a 3D animated film proved it still had a cartoony style to it and not, as you said, something more realistic that lets you see Littlefoot's pores.
 :olittlefoot

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Perhaps something akin to Sonic the Hedgehog (2020), and Detective Pickachu would be in order, in terms of design.

LittlefootOnASkateboard

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
That could work! I gotta tell you though, I always felt this hypercartoony 2D-to-3D approach to character design felt a bit weird.

I'd love it if they did something like non-photorealistic rendering. Like that Disney' short, Paperman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOS5CP8tzYQ
I think that could really work!

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Yeah Pixar tends to make its designs seem immature, it wouod be hard to capture the grittiness of Sharptooth with that style.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I would be for remaking the 1988 Land Before Time if they just upscaled the animation whilst also getting Anndi McAfee and Aria Curzon back as the roles of Cera and Duck respectively.

When it comes to Disney remakes, they are just doing it because they've run out of original ideas and choose to go back to something they already own because they know it will make a billion dollars now.

LittlefootOnASkateboard

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Exactly. Disney is milking IPs they already know have a lot of staying power. Things 30-40 something parents want to take their kids to see. Like The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast.

It pains me to say it but I wonder if the nostalgia factor for Land Before Time is as high as I used to think it was. I know a lot of people remember and love the original, but I see precious little buzz about it online.

I am convinced that Universal will return to LBT at some point but I don't think it'd be on the scale of something like the Disney remakes.