The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Debate #1

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The debate topic is as follows:

Resolved, this is SPARTA!!!

Anyone can debate, but please alternate posts between "Pro" and "Con".

For rules, see HERE.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay. I wasn't expecting such low popularity of this idea. I mean, the view count is adequate, but there isn't anybody who wants to debate.

Fine. I'll take the stand and give the first pro argument.

-----

It is common knowledge that Spartans were the sons and daughters of Heracles. However, Heracles was a mythological figure. Since he never existed, Spartans must be the sons and daughters of _________. Since this _________ can be filled with any name, and all of us are either the sons or daughters of somebody, we must be Spartans. Therefore, this must be Sparta.

-----

This is what an argument should be like. Use factual information, then interpret it in an unusual way, and then base your argument on that interpretation of the facts.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I must admit I didn't understand the point of the statement. What is the "this" in the statement "Resolved, this is Sparta"?

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can understand that. I think I'll start a different debate topic that is much more entertaining. Still, the "this" means "this forum". Just for clarification.