The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ultimate Puzzle Challenge!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A 35 point question?  Okay!

This one though will be worth 1 Hint Point as well.

So, for 35 points and 1 Hint point:

When you weren't looking, someone came by and gobbled up your fish dinner.  The three brothers near the scene of this dastardly crime had this to say:

A: "Me?  Oh yeah, I ate it.  It was good too!"
B: "I saw A eat that fish right up!"
C: "B and I didn't eat that fish."

One of these three brothers is lying to you, but which one is it?

----------------

Good luck to all! :^.^:

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is a tough one. If it was assumed that only one person had all of the fish, then it is impossible for only one to be lying. Therefore, some of the fish must have been consumed by at least two people. Using this logic, I have come to the conclusion that "C" is the liar.

However, Clawandfang brings up a good point. The wording of the statement could make the comment a lie. So now I change my answer to "B". If it is allowed, of course.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm not sure on this one either. We have to either go with what lbt/cty_lover said and say "c" (they couldn't both eat it.) Or we can go with "b" and say that despite A eating the fish B didn't actually see him. Part of me niggles away and tells me that this is worded wrong somehow...

I'll go with "c". It has a slightly stronger argument.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The liar here is C.  A and C split your dinner and each ate half.

The answer becomes clear when you realize that if A is lying, B must be lying as well.  The same thing happens when you assume that B is the liar.  Therefore, the only possible answer is that C is lying, a scenario that only works if C actually did eat some of the fish.

This one was a little more complex because what it didn't pertain to was HOW MANY actually ate it.  This is what can confuse the reader.  Most would believe that only ONE ate it, and the idea of two rarely concepts to the reader at hand.

Now, since you changed your answer when it was correct, lbt/cty_lover, you sadly don't earn the points because your final guess was wrong.

Both Mumbling and Clawandfang got it right and earn the full 35 points and the 1 Hint Point.  However, Mumbling gets the honor of picking the next category.

-----------------

Scores so far:

Stitch: 10 points (10 Hint Points)

Flathead770: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Mornai: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Clawandfang: 90 points (12 Hint Points)

LBTFan13: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Tails_155: 30 points (10 Hint Points)

lbt/cty_lover: 30 points (10 Hint Points)

Mumbling: 35 points (11 Hint Points)

-------------

Okay Mumbling, your turn!  Pick the next category. :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, you asked for it! :)

For 50 points:

Imagine a digital clock.  How many times will the clock display three or more of the same number in a row over the course of one day?

In case you were wondering, the clock in this puzzle displays time on a 12-hour scale, not on military time.

-------------------------

Good luck! :)

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hard, this is simple.

Whoops! I missed one. And because of the repetitive nature of the common clock, that adds two to my original answer. It is actually 16.

Now I missed out on another one. My answer is now 18.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Heh... I make it 34 actually. I assume we're using solar days here?

EDIT: Ah... after wondering why everyone had completley different answers to me, I had another look at my working outs and recalculated to:

It's a fairly subtle point I had to notice which allowed me to get this answer.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
*buzzer sounds 4 times* Wrong to ALL!

Reduced to 45 for lbt/cty_lover, Clawandfang, Stitch and Mumbling.

Give it another shot!

Are you sure you haven't forgotten a few possible combinations?

Also, did you remember to double it for both am and pm?  Remember, I did say "over the course of one day". :)

Feel free to try again. :D

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'll be demanding to see a list of possible combinations after all of this... heh. Well... all I have left to me is my original answer of 34, which I don't believe to be correct, although I can see how one could argue that it was.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Clawandfang got it right and gets 45 points.

Here are all of the possible combinations as proof:

1:11, 2:22, 3:33, 4:44, 5:55, 10:00, 11:10, 11:11, 11:12, 11:13, 11:14, 11:15, 11:16, 11:17, 11:18, 11:19, 12:22

There's 17 right there, and since it goes through each combination twice within the course of one day, it's 17 x 2, or 34. :)

The ones like 1:11, 2:22, etc. are VERY easy to find, but most people tend to miss ones like 10:00 or 11:12.

------------

Scores so far:

Stitch: 10 points (10 Hint Points)

Flathead770: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Mornai: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Clawandfang: 135 points (12 Hint Points)

LBTFan13: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Tails_155: 30 points (10 Hint Points)

lbt/cty_lover: 30 points (10 Hint Points)

Mumbling: 35 points (11 Hint Points)

action9000: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

--------------------

Okay Clawandfang, your turn. :)

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'd just like to point out what myself (and highly likely others) thought when we gave the anwser 16. The problem is deciding whether 11:10-11:19 count as nine separate instances of three digits in a row, or one big one. Despite the number displayed changing, there is no gap between each insatance, and so I would personally say that between 11:10 and 11:19 there is only one time when there are three digits in a row, but it lasts for just under ten minutes. You could easily argue the other side of the coin though.

Anyhow, another 50 point please.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Clawandfang: I know some puzzles may be hard to grasp with the true answer when you finally figure them out, even with the explanation that ends up helping them make complete sense present.  However, the biggest trick is to take a closer look at the puzzle and fully understand what it is really saying.

With the most recent one, even a minute means the time is different, correct?  We humans have come accustom to rounding the time when we look at our watches.  This sort of thing also plays a role in tricking the mind with the previous question.  Normally, we would ignore them and our mind would think that they don't count.  Isn't it a shame when your mind tricks you like such and makes you get the wrong answer?

--------------

Now, here's the next one.

Oooo, you got a good one, it holds 2 Hint Points.

So, for 50 Points and 2 Hints Points:

While walking through a market on vacation, you notice a small stand selling cameras.  A camera-and-case set is selling for $310.  The seller tells you that the camera costs $300 more than the case itself and that the case costs the price of the set minus the cost of the camera.

You decide you'd rather wait on buying a camera and opt to just buy the case alone.  You hand the seller a $100 bill and see his eyes light up.  Think fast now!  How much change should you be getting back?

----------------

Good luck!

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
The answer is $95. I enjoyed working this one out.

Also, in reply to your previous statement about each minute being a separate piece of time, by that argument isn't each second a separate piece of time then? I can see where you are coming from though.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'd say 90.. probably wrong.

Bugger.. I won't change it but I know the correct answer.. :p It wouldn't be fair if I changed it..