The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ultimate Puzzle Challenge!

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I have a bit of trouble solving this one. But my guess will have to be all fifteen people.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The correct answer is 13 people.

In the first trip to the island, 5 people get on the boat.  Now, someone has to drive back to pick them up.  Since there's already 1 person in there, he can only pick up 4 more.  That's 9 thus far.  He goes back and only has the last chance to pick up another 4 because he's already spent 18 minutes rescuing as many as possible.  So, by the time the driver makes it to the island, the ship will have already sank and the last two people would be food to the man-eating sharks.

A moment of silence for the two that didn't make it, please.

------------

So, Stitch and lbt/cty_lover got it right! :)

Scores thus far:

Stitch: 40 points (10 Hint Points)

Flathead770: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Mornai: 50 points (12 Hint Points)

Clawandfang: 200 points (14 Hint Points)

LBTFan13: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Tails_155: 80 points (12 Hint Points)

lbt/cty_lover: 125 points (12 Hint Points)

Mumbling: 50 points (11 Hint Points)

action9000: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

-------------

Okay Stitch, it's your turn.

(Ha!  Finally stumped ya, Clawandfang! :P:)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
heh me and claw had talked it over on msn and we figured it was 13 too. but as working together is not a part of this game we decided not to change our answers... :o :D

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Luckily for you guys, there's only ONE at this level.  However, I made sure this one was HARD before picking it.

Here we go!

----------------

As many chess players know, the Queen can move all along the board in 8 different directions.

With that in mind, on this chessboard:

A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 A7 A8
B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6 B7 B8
C1 C2 c3 C4 c5 C6 C7 c8
D1 d2 d3 d4 d5 d6 d7 d8
E1 E2 E3 E4 E5 E6 E7 E8
F1 F2 .F3 F4 F5 F6 .F7 F8
g1 g2 g3 g4 g5 g6 g7 g8
h1 h2 h3 h4 h5 h6 h7 h8

Place 8 Queens and so that they don't block one another's moves.

Note: For this puzzle, please put in the letter-number combo you think a Queen should be placed.

Note 2: To make things more interesting, each of you that answer must come up with different solutions.  In this puzzle saying something along the lines of "I agree with *insert person here*." does not count.

-----------

Hehe!  This should get interesting. :^.^:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Got it: A3, B6, C2, D7, E1, F4, G8, H5 :D:D:DD

ive painted it white because it was black and well you couldnt see it..

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Okay, I'm sorry to say an hour of my life went into this... rrr...

A3, B6, C4, D2, E8, F5, G7 and H1. Thank god that's over.

If you want a picture, you can download one here.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A3 B5 C7 D2 E4 F6 G1 H8

I used to have 7 unique solutions, but I lost them. I had to solve this problem all over again! I am soooooooooo angry!

Iris, you solution works. And so does yours, Clawandfang.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will first state that pictures weren't nessacary for this.  I could've checked them without such being provided.

Mumbling and Clawandfang both have correct solutions.  However, lbt/cty_lover got it wrong on the account that F6 and H8 are along the same diagonal, thus the Queesns block one another's movements.  Sorry, lbt/cty_lover.

This is the legendary 8 Queens Puzzle, which was put together by a Chess Master quite some years ago.  Thanks to a super computer, including rotations and mirror imaged answers, a total of 92 different possible solutions have been discovered.  Without including the above, there would only be 12 possible at most.  This is why I wanted everyone's answers to be different, because I wanted to see the creativeness you all held.  It is a nessacarity if you want to survive this challenge and come out on top.

---------------------

So, the score thus far:

Stitch: 40 points (10 Hint Points)

Flathead770: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Mornai: 50 points (12 Hint Points)

Clawandfang: 300 points (14 Hint Points)

LBTFan13: 0 points (10 Hint Points)

Tails_155: 80 points (12 Hint Points)

lbt/cty_lover: 125 points (12 Hint Points)

Mumbling: 150 points (11 Hint Points)

action9000: 0 points (10 Hint Points)
-----------------

Okay Mumbling, your turn. :)

*dares Mumbling to the bonus again.*

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
pokeplayer by this evening I'm gone, it's a bit unfair to do some questions without me for 2 days heh? :p Please don't get angry with me but I'm waiting until sunday to say which category its going to be ok?

And about the pictures, I just love to show my work as I am proud of it :D

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Alright, I'll do my best to wait, but if others start to get a little antsy about having to wait a few days, don't be surprised that I end up giving the offer of the next one to Clawandfang, as he was the one to answer correctly after you did, okay?

Hope you have fun while you're gone. :)

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
To be honest if you hand over the next choice to me I'll delay as long as possible to give her a chance too.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just want to make a suggestion. I think that we should give the times when we are on GoF normally in GMT. That way, we all have a chance to respond. Normally, these posts are made when I'm in school, so I get a probability of virtually zero of answering first.

Monday: 7:30 PM to 3:30 AM
Tuesday: 9:45 PM to 3:30 AM
Wednesday: 7:30 PM to 3:30 AM
Thursday: 9:45 PM to 3:30 AM
Friday: 10:30 PM to 3:30 AM
Saturday: 3:00 PM to 3:30 AM
Sunday: 3:00 PM to 3:30 AM

As I said, please convert to GMT, so that conversions into different time zones is much easier.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well... for the next week or so I'm completely free, no work, no school no anything. The way I see it, it doesn't really matter who answers first does it? The hallowed gift of being able to choose the next category isn't really an advantage... is it?

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What I mean is that the probabilities should be more fair. Closer to 1/n for each person, assuming that there are n people.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I know what you mean lbt/cty lover... I've talked about this with clawandfang before, that I thought it was unfair that he answered this fast. But I think that's the hardest thing about living on earth.. 'time' as we call it.. It's not so easy to change it..

It's not about answering first, maybe pokeplayer should set a limit.. like 1 day and then I'll check who has answered. You should've seen it by then..

Anyways: 70pnts. please