The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dinosonas

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Wow, Pangaea, that's quite fantastic! I love the design, and definitely appreciate the research that you put into this! Actually, he's such an appealing character I even caught myself absentmindedly doodling him a couple of times after I first looked at this :lol
Also, I can't believe I missed this thread. I'll have to throw my dinosona up here soon :)

And I do have one tiny critique for your drawing that may be helpful, if you would like to hear it :D

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Now that's what I call high praise! :wow Seriously, that's a HUGE compliment, coming from such a skilled artist as yourself. :yes Thank you, DarkWolf! And yes, please tell me what your critique is. :)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks, and you're welcome :smile
First off, I'd like to mention how well you captured the LBT style. Spot on! You kept it as simple as it is, and it looks very nice.

My critique has to do with the horizontal slant you gave the spine. I think it's a great idea, but something about the way you did it makes it look like more of a hunch than a natural posture. I think it may have to do with the legs. While drawn well in and of themselves(especially the feet, I really like his left foot :) ), they very closely resemble Guido's legs, which were designed to support an upright posture.

Well, there's my critique. Awesome drawing, on the whole :yes

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkWolf91,Oct 3 2009 on  11:34 AM
First off, I'd like to mention how well you captured the LBT style. Spot on! You kept it as simple as it is, and it looks very nice.
Thanks. That's what I was going for. I'm glad you think I succeeded at it. :D

My critique has to do with the horizontal slant you gave the spine. I think it's a great idea, but something about the way you did it makes it look like more of a hunch than a natural posture. I think it may have to do with the legs. While drawn well in and of themselves(especially the feet, I really like his left foot :) ), they very closely resemble Guido's legs, which were designed to support an upright posture.
Hmm...Maybe that notch in his back has something to do with it. I probably made the distinction between his upper and lower torso too sharp. (For the record, I don't have the best spinal posture myself, so perhaps that feature just makes my dinosona all the more accurate. :lol)

As I mentioned on your art thread, the legs and feet are, in my opinion, the hardest part of a dinosaur to draw. I realized when I started the drawing that Guido's leg design might not work too well for a dinosaur with a more horizontally-angled spine, but I was reluctant to change it (largely because I wasn't sure what kind of alternative shape would work), so I tried to draw the legs so that they were each in different positions, to brace the character against falling over. I also thought that the heavier tail might provide additional balance. (Guido's tail is almost ratlike in its thinnessónot a great balancing aidóso I made the tail of my dinosona more like that of a fast biter.) Still, you're right in that the legs look a little awkward. Maybe the next time I draw my dinosona, I'll have him standing on tiptoe, like most adult bipedal dinosaurs in LBT tend to do. (At least you think the feet look good. :p)

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm...Maybe that notch in his back has something to do with it. I probably made the distinction between his upper and lower torso too sharp.

Yeah, I noticed that too... I was little iffy on it, but like you said, it could just be bad posture :smile
I don't think it's a big problem.

Still, you're right in that the legs look a little awkward. Maybe the next time I draw my dinosona, I'll have him standing on tiptoe, like most adult bipedal dinosaurs in LBT tend to do.

Hmm, maybe. You could also look at the way LBT does oviraptor or fastbiter legs and possibly take some pointers from that. I guess it's just good to try a bunch of different things :yes

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay, here's mine!

As you can probably tell, I chose Opthalmosaurus :smile

Alrighty, here we go.
First off, the yellowish underside. By looking at Mo in comparison to his waterkin, I kind of took it as a juvenile trait. I don't quite consider myself "full grown" as of yet, which is why I added a bit more yellow than I had in the previous picture of dinosaur me. I figure it's beginning to fully fade at this point, and will probably reach its final off-grey color soon enough :p

I chose cool, subdued colors in part because that's what I tend to wear, and in part again because I am quite a subdued person, actually :lol

The eye color is my own. Frequent markings are to express the fact that I have all kinds of random birthmarks and freckles and things. The angularity of the markings represents a calculating, logical personality. Of course, a streak of whimsy is represented by the slightly more cramped and pointy snout-markings.

Okay, that's all I can think of for now :)

Chomper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'll post what i think i am but i'm a horrible drawer so if you dont mind i'll leave mine out.

1. I would be a certasaurus like my char cody

2. I sadly have a quick temper but i dont hold grudges

3. I try not to get mad but when i do its just a blind rage to me and some friends of mine like this in football cause i dont care who i go up against i'm gonna try to tackle the biggest guy while i'm one of the smallest.

4. the up side of me is i'm extreamly friendly for the most part

5. i'm very sarcastic but its the funny sarcastic

6. very hard worker, i dont mind menial labor or doing something for others

7. i dont like being the center of attention but as pangea said i dont like to be left out which sadly happens all the time unless someone needs help then i'm the goto guy, then afterwords dropped like a bag of trash. oh well

btw nice persona darkwolf

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Looks fantastic, DarkWolf! :D

I love the colors, and the variably shaped bands and blotches. The angularity of the meeting line (can't come up with a better descriptive term :bang) between the purple and the yellow sides of the body also looks really good. It's so obviously an LBT Ophthalmosaurus, but also a distinctively unique character. (That didn't come out very well the way I said it, :rolleyes but hopefully you get the gist of why I think the drawing is good. ;))

Compy-Rex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'd be a Baryonyx, of course. Also, amazing picture, Dark Wolf!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I finally got around to drawing an LBT dinosona for myself. I had a hard time choosing which dino, but I eventually chose Gastonia.

I chose black and red because they're my favorite color combination. I chose brown for the back armor because I do have brown hair (although a darker shade). I chose green (though it looks more blue in scan I think) for the eyes because I have, well, green eyes, though they have more haze in them too. The small scars I gave the dinosona on the left leg and chin are actual small scars I do have. I scrapped my chin badly as a kid and I still have a small scar from that. And I also have tiny scars on my left arm due to repeated blood donations.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quite a few nice pictures posted by folks here.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, that's a great drawing, Kacie! I like the colors. :DD The pose is really good, too. And the details such as the scars and the colors of the armor and eyes are a brilliant addition!

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Do fantasy dinosaurs count?  :lol

Well, most of you already know my dinosona, Sky. *points at avatar* ^^
It's been almost a year or more since the last time I drew him... I should get working.  :lol:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good idea.  Maybe this is a thread where the artists who want to can post their dino pictures.  I'd be ok with fantasy dino pictures.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think Rat Lady (who started this thread) intended it to be strictly a place where GOF members can post pictures and/or bios of their dinosonas: dinosaur versions of themselves. By that definition, Sky's eponymous character would be welcome, but other forms of LBT fanart (pretty much anything that does not represent a dinosona) should go in a different thread.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Once all is said and done, I'd probably know far too much about everything to make a good dinosaur.

I'd be a time-travelling human most likely, with a big gun incase I encounter a sharptooth, rarrrrr!

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I wonder...I'm not the best at drawing animals; are there templates that we could use, like a colouring in page? Chances are, all that someone would need to do would be to take a photo of a character from the movie, and then draw over it, removing all colour and adding outlines. Then the rest of us could draw on that.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I don't have a picture at the moment, I'm still working on that, but I can at least give her info. :)

Name: Amy
Username: Rat_lady7(you all knew that. ;) )
Species: Pteranodon (flyer)
Color Pattern: Dark brown beak, tail, wings, and tuft around my neck. The rest of my color is cream.
Eyes: Almond shaped and honey brown in the iris
Physical Appearance: Fit, hour glass shaped, crest is slightly longer then most female pterosaurs.
Abilites: Fight using her claws and uses her wings as a whipping mechanism. She can blow dust with her wings at her enemies. She never turns back into a human during the rp at all.
Non fighting Abilities: Singing, dancing, and writing.

Personality: When first meet her, she's tends to get a bit nervous, even excited when she sees someone she "kind of" knows. After awhile she calms down, but it takes a bit of work. She can be very random, fun, and thoughtful if you give her a chance and get to know her. She is very deep and can often be misunderstood as serious all the time, but this isn't true at all. She is strong, intelligent, sensitive to others, and stubborn. She sometimes is unpredictable, when one day she is joking around and the next she is incredibly sensitive.

Little Tidbits about her:
-Afraid of heights, despite being a flyer.
-Can have some depressive mood swings due to the fact that she doesn't have her anti-depressants anymore.
-Socially shy and awkward at first.
-Laughs a lot when nervous or sad, since she can't cry that much.
-She tends to miss her little guy, Gypsy in the rp.
-She eats meat, so she is repulsed by every green thing and plant she sees when it is eaten.
-She tends to talk in different accents randomly. :lol

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't have time to draw mine yet, so I'll post information like Rat_Lady7 did ;).

Here it is:

Name: Anna

Username: Cancerian Tiger (a.k.a. CT)

Species: Swimmer

Eye Color: Green-blue

Colorings and Markings: Very similar to Ducky's mother.
Physical appearance: Short, made up almost entirely of lean muscle mass, and bony but strong in appearance.  Considered smaller than average for my species :p.

Fighting abilities: Carries over some martial arts training she had learned as a human kid.  Since she is small, this makes her more vulnerable, so she tends to aim for weak spots on opponents and use weapons of opportunity.  Has no reservations against fighting dirty, but if it's the only way to save herself or others.

Non-fighting abilities: Writing, drawing, singing, runs fast for species, able to shake sources of food out of trees.  Has knowledge of first aid and emergency care.

Personality: Comes across as quiet and shy until she gets to know others well.  She is very humorous and talkative with those she knows well, but does not usually come across as obnoxious.  She is notorious for being very kind and caring towards others, but she can also be outspoken and will not hesitate to mouth off at anyone who is rude or mean to her.  Can come across as temperamental or moody at times, has occasional meltdowns.  She is terribly sensitive and easily offended, but is also very forgiving and patient.  She hates conflict and grudges, and tries to correct problems as soon as they start.  She comes across as intelligent, unique, and quirky.  She is very protective of those she knows and cares for.

Tidbits:

*Is deathly afraid of sharp objects and deep, dark water.  She can tolerate using a sharp tool for an everyday task, like cutting food, but otherwise does not wish to be bothered with sharp objects.

*Has a speech impediment (echoing) that causes her pitch to bounce around, especially when she's excited or tense.

*Cries frequently, but usually holds it in until she's alone and out of earshot.

*Is very adventurous and daring.

*Does not eat meat or dairy.  Diet mostly consists of fruits, veggies, soy products, and seafood.  Goes without seafood when she's a swimmer.  Loves sweets!

*Misses her pets and loved ones, though like a lot of everything else, internalizes her feelings put into the spotlight.

*Tends to sing or talk to herself when others are not around.

*Loves nature!

*Is very clumsy and accident-prone :p!

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I just finished drawing myself a dinosona. Not sure if it even deserves to be called that, because... it's a yellow belly. I don't think my personality fits the description of such species. I had my doubts about what a "dinosona" actually means when I was drawing him, so.. yeah. :p

Anyways, just thought I'd ask if my thing fits as a "dinosona" before I show you guys my drawing. So, does it? :S