The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Petrie: subject = maturity

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
None of the LBT movies clearly suggests that there is a large difference in age between the main characters (with the exception of Spike of course). From what we see in the original movie it looks pretty much like Littlefoot, Cera, and Ducky had the same birthday. In any case it certainly does not look like there was a significant difference in the age of Ducky, Cera, and Littlefoot. I have always wondered how Cera would know about her exact age anyway? Has she been counting the days since her hatchday? Do the dinosaurs even think in terms of four digit numbers? In any case the LBT 5 comment looks a bit like one of the regrettably typical cases of carelessness concerning the coherence with other LBT movies which we find in many of the LBT movies by Charles Grossvenor.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
i think we can all agree upon spike being the youngest, especially since the other four had hatched before then.

one thing i found funny about oetrie is that in the first four or five movies, petrie has his low tone to his voice. however, once LBT 6 came out, the pitch in his voice got a little higher, especially when he sings.

Invaderbecky

• Ruby
    • View Profile
that explains why Ducky calls him little brother,

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Excessive fear is not a sign of immaturity.  There are many adults who deal with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and/or Panic Disorder.  Perhaps there are certain fears (i.e. monsters hiding under the bed) that may seem childish, but I don't think Petrie displays any such fears.  There are adults who are gullible and believe everything they hear, so does that constitute immaturity?  I don't have an answer for that.  

BTW, they're still just kids.  It will be awhile before any major changes in maturity levels would begin to happen ;).

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
Well Littlefoot has grown a lot since he is now the same height as Hyp while he was 3 times smaller in LBT3.
But his grandparents seem to grow bigger than him every movie.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I still find Petrie immature, more so than in the first few movies. One reason is that he learns something in a movie, like conquering his fear of flying, and then forgets the next film. His DMS in my opinion was his fanatic belief in the "Sun God" during "The Bright Circle Celebration" and even after all the morals learned like "things can be accomplished if you work together" and "ingenuity can save the day" he still thanks the Bright Circle for it's "help" in everything! (here's a callout to the scriptwriters too, for knocking the atheistic Cera off her high perch but letting the religious Petrie through the episode unscathed). Course this could be attributed to Fladerization, but it doesn't excuse him.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
One recurring trend I've noticed with Petrie is that in certain movies and TV episodes, the filmmakers introduce some unexpected new quirk to his character that is never again referenced in another installment. Besides his religious treatment of the Bright Circle Celebration in the titular episode, examples I've noticed include his penchant for imaginary friends in LBT IX, his snuggling stick in "Days of Rising Waters", and his superstitiousness in "The Meadow of Jumping Waters". I suppose not all of these are necessarily indicators of immaturity, though.

Also, is it just me, or does Petrie behave more "maturely" when he is forced to act on his own, as opposed to when he is with his friends, who generally seem to make decisions for him? For example, when he is trapped with Guido inside Blackrock in "The Hermit of Blackrock", he himself notes that Guido is more frightened of the situation than he is. Petrie's behavior throughout that entire episode struck me as less panicky, and more rational, than is typical of him.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Something I found interesting was his actions at the end of LBT 10. When hearing that Littlefoot might leave, wasn't he all calm with words of wisdom about friends leaving? The others follow suit after he starts, but that's not something you'd expect Petrie to be an expert in.

He even says in the song that friends sometime have to leave. Where did he learn this? None of the others seem to have considered it until he mentions it. Maybe his mother told it to him at some point, such as when they were going to leave in 5. Or maybe Petrie saw his Uncle (or possibly Father!) leave his family, and his mother had to tell him that that sometimes happens. Or maybe Petrie had a friend back in LBT 1 who they had to leave behind or who chose to leave. Who knows?

(In regard to Petrie being flightless in the first film, I always assumed he was a late bloomer, and that his siblings had already learnt to fly, otherwise, how would his siblings have made it to the valley with their mother?)

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TabalugaDragon
Quote from: Almaron,Oct 4 2009 on  02:18 PM
Something I found interesting was his actions at the end of LBT 10. When hearing that Littlefoot might leave, wasn't he all calm with words of wisdom about friends leaving? The others follow suit after he starts, but that's not something you'd expect Petrie to be an expert in.

He even says in the song that friends sometime have to leave. Where did he learn this? None of the others seem to have considered it until he mentions it. Maybe his mother told it to him at some point, such as when they were going to leave in 5. Or maybe Petrie saw his Uncle (or possibly Father!) leave his family, and his mother had to tell him that that sometimes happens. Or maybe Petrie had a friend back in LBT 1 who they had to leave behind or who chose to leave. Who knows?

You maybe forgot LBT 8 when Spike was leaving, Petrie thought -maybe forever
he even sang a song about it with others

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
There is one thing however that may make Petrie be deemed immature and that is his failure in ocassions to respond properly or adaptively but then again that's human but Petrie is not.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Paradise Bird,Dec 1 2009 on  07:23 PM
There is one thing however that may make Petrie be deemed immature and that is his failure in ocassions to respond properly or adaptively but then again that's human but Petrie is not.
 :exactly

We ALL screw up on occasions and do stupid things, but does that deem an individual immature?

Courtesy of Wiktionary:

immaturity (plural immaturities)

1.Youth; the condition of being immature or not fully grown

Petrie, along with his pals, are not even adults yet!  The Gang are most likely around ten to twelve years of age.  So what if Petrie has these occasional "moments"?  It's not like he's wetting the nest, sucking on a finger, etc. :rolleyes:!  He's still a kid and is more likely bound to act like a kid than an adult, but due to his age, it's okay :yes.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Dec 1 2009 on  08:21 PM
Quote from: Paradise Bird,Dec 1 2009 on  07:23 PM
:exactly

We ALL screw up on occasions and do stupid things, but does that deem an individual immature?

Courtesy of Wiktionary:

immaturity (plural immaturities)

1.Youth; the condition of being immature or not fully grown

Petrie, along with his pals, are not even adults yet!  The Gang are most likely around ten to twelve years of age.  So what if Petrie has these occasional "moments"?  It's not like he's wetting the nest, sucking on a finger, etc. :rolleyes:!  He's still a kid and is more likely bound to act like a kid than an adult, but due to his age, it's okay :yes.
I meant to keep screwing up.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Am I the only one to notice that Petrie's voice, for some reason, went up an octave starting with 5? It's very strange, and makes him rather more annoying.  :huh:

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^Had you read this thread, you'd know you're not the only one to notice that.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Bruton the Iguanodon

Dr. Curzon

• Spike
    • View Profile
^I noticed that, and I thought it was a different voice actor at first, even. Though I don't know why.