The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Score/Rate the sequels

Sky · 40 · 5419

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
I just wanted to know which sequels you like and don't like.
The best way would be to score them.  :unsure:

0 - Worst
1 - Bad
2 - Not so good
3 - Okay
4 - Good
5 - Excellent

OK. I'll start:

The Great Valley Adventure: 3

The Time of the Great Giving: 2

Journey Through the Mists: 4

The Mysterious Island: 4

The Secret of Saurus Rock: 3

The Stone of Cold Fire: 3

The Big Freeze: 4

Journey to Big Water: 5

The Great Longneck Migration: 5

Invasion of the Tinysauruses: 3

The Great Day of the Flyers: 4

Your turn.  :D

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de

The Time of the Great Giving: 3

The Mysterious Island: 5

The Secret of Saurus Rock: 3

The Stone of Cold Fire:4

The Big Freeze: 5

Journey to Big Water: 5

The Great Longneck Migration: 5

Invasion of the Tinysauruses: 3

The Great Day of the Flyers: 3

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile

The Time of the Great Giving: 3

Journey Through the Mists: 2

The Mysterious Island: 3

The Secret of Saurus Rock: 5

The Stone of Cold Fire: 4

The Big Freeze: 3

Journey to Big Water: 2

The Great Longneck Migration: 2

Invasion of the Tinysauruses: 1

The Great Day of the Flyers: 4

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oooh okay let's see...

Great valley Adventure: 4.5
Time of the Great Giving: 4
Mysterious Island: 3
Secret of Saurus Rock: 3
Stone of Cold Fire: 3.5
Big Freeze: 3.5
Journey to Big Water: 3.5
Great Longneck Migration: 3
Invasion of the Tinysauruses: 2.5
Great Day of the Flyers: 3.5

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
To be honest, I'm not really a fan of playing "favorites" when it comes to something like this.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
To be honest, I'm not really a fan of playing "favorites" when it comes to something like this.
Totally understandable.  I tended to make my scale based on what I hoped the movie could/would be (with general regards to what I consider quality), compared to what it actually was.  Everyone here is probably using different criteria for their "Scores" so it's a tricky survey anyway :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Sep 16 2007 on  05:34 PM
I guess I could also say I don't want to rank the worst. :P:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
You also do not like rating sequels, but I take it that it's for a different reason than me? :D

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Neither am I. I rarely use superlatives. I hope it is okay when instead of numbers I give a few words on the sequels which may tell more than numbers can.

I was rather fond of LBT 2 (still am). While the movie clearly broke with traditions of the original movie (befriending Sharpteeth would have been of limits in the land of the original movie) and also had a few changes in style (Chomper came as the first dinosaur in a color really far from the colors usually associated with dinosaurs). I like the story though. With the eggeaters we had some villains for the first time whose hunger was not the only thing to label them as villains. While LBT never made to really deal with the problem of a Sharptooth leafeater relationship this movie abandoned a kind of black and white / good and evil view of which the original movie might be accused. It was a bit difficult to get used to the idea of singing dinosaurs. None of the LBT 2 songs ranks among my favorites, but neither do I have a particular dislike of any of them. LBT 2 had a lot of the kind of sentimentalism which I suppose contributed a good deal to making me an LBT fan.

Many people don't think very high of LBT 3. Perhaps we are a little harsh on the movie. LBT 3 had a solid plot and some really interesting ideas. The major problem of the movie was that it was too moralizing, especially towards the end. If they could have brought their messages across a bit more subtle it would have been better. Still the movie had many aspects of a good land before time story.

LBT 4 brought us the character who was possibly the one most frequently discussed in the forums. The promise of Ali's return used to be a straw for LBT fans to cling to in times when it didn't look like there was going to be a next movie. Meanwhile a return of Ali was shown. I did not watch it as I heard of very negative reactions to the respective TV episode. I fear that it might do more harm than good. Anyway LBT 4 had a solid plot and the messages were brought across in a better way than was the case in LBT 3 (perhaps because the LBT characters didn't come across as faultless in this one). Spike's calling of Ducky was a very memorable scene. While I cannot name one favorite sequel LBT 4 is certainly one of those I am really very fond of.

The same goes for LBT 5. At long last we had at least a bit continuity through the return of a character. The reference to Littlefoot's Mum in the song Always there is another element which secured this sequel a special place in my heart. It had a good story and beautiful elements. However, the first LBT sequel produced by Charles Grosvenor also gave a glimpse at some of the elements which I really dislike in his movies. Why on earth does everything have to turn red in case of danger? That was really not necessary. Logic failures such as a tsunami rolling from the shore towards the open sea or lack of explanations (how did the gang get onto that log after they rolled it over the cliff?) did not occur in Roy Alan Smith's movies.

LBT 6 is another one of the sequels which some people don't like while I don't have a major issue with it. It is very regretable that interesting characters such as Dinah and Dana disappear after a single sequel without any further reference in later movies. LBT 6 brought new elements to the land before time. Unlike some later sequels LBT 6 did not spoil the issue by disenchanting the mysterious. At the end of LBT 6 everyone could decide for him or herself whether or not to believe in the lone dinosaur legend.

LBT 7 made exactly the mistake which LBT 6 had avoided. They disenchanted the mysterious and brought an element (aliens from outer space) into the land before time which does not belong there. There were also some really annoying shortcomings in the animation (anyone seen green lava before?). This was the first land before time movie I felt uneasy about. But with all these drawbacks LBT 7 also had some positive aspects. Pterano is one of the most interesting guest characters ever. The story of what happened during the journey to the Great Valley also reminded us of the gloomier elements of the land before time (not just a funny playground for dinosaurs). The song "Beyond the Mysterious Beyond" was quite beautiful and "Very important creature" gave a very good insight into Pterano's way of thinking. But again there were these sadly unrealistic elements which I'm sure would not have occured in a sequel directed by Smith. Using a hot spring as an elevator, Littlefoot, Cera, and Spike riding on the back of a single flyer this is really sailing close to the wind.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
LBT 8 was a great plod idea but very poorly realized. The story could have been great, but with the stegosaur shaped teletubby named Tippy and many shortcomings in the animation and the presentation of the story many good chances were wasted. Also the movie was another one in which the moralizing was too strong (especially during the song "the lesson" which ranks among my least favorite LBT songs). Again there were such silly mistakes (hot spring frozen over). The song "Family" in my opinion couldn't make up for all the shortcommings. LBT 8 also was the first LBT sequel to introduce a sharptooth who came across as plain stupid rather than dangerous. LBT 8 left me with the sad impression of a great chance carelessly wasted.

As of today LBT 9 is the last LBT sequel which I really loved. When I first saw a picuture of Mo I was horrified expecting a kind of Pokemon invasion to LBT but when I watched the movie his shrill looks didn't bother me at all. The story is actually VERY simple but unlike LBT 8 it was realized very well. For once they did a really good job in combining animated characters and photorealistic animation of water and sky in a manner in which it seems to fit (while there are bad counterexamples in LBT 7 and 10). The song "No one has to be alone" was really awesome and the movie had many of the sentimental scenes I really like.

Unlike most people I consider LBT 10 nothing short of a disaster. I have written in much detail about why I dislike LBT in this thread. Total lack of a coherent story, unconvincing characters, countless cases of lack in realism, absolutely harmless sharpteeth, very poorly applied and exaggerated effects (even the characters turned red in case of danger in this one!). Even a truly beautiful song such as "Bestest Friends" cannot make up for all the other shortcommings. They just thought it would be interesting to have Littlefoot's Dad for a sequel, they put him in without a good explanation for his previous absence and at the end of the sequel they kicked him out again without a plausible explanation. This is the one land before time sequel which I really think should have never been made. I don't really expect LBT to recover after this one :cry2

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
While LBT 11 did not have the extreme lack of coherence that LBT 10 had it still fell short of previous LBT movies. Again they were moralizing a lot, again we had very harmless (ticklish) sharpteeth, again many questions the plot brought up were left unexplained, and I just never felt the degree of emotion which we had in previous LBT sequels.

The case of LBT 12 seems very similar. Again sharpteeth were just for entertainment and again there were many implausible scenes. Guido was an interesting character, but I'm not sure it is necessary to have one new character for every sequel just to abandon that character without any further explanation. With regard to this it may be a positive development that with Tricia they had a character returning for the first time since LBT 5. Still the overall impression of the movie is that it is more exclusively made for a younger audience than the earlier LBT movies were.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Sep 17 2007 on  02:57 PM
The case of LBT 12 seems very similar. Again sharpteeth were just for entertainment and again there were many implausible scenes. Guido was an interesting character, but I'm not sure it is necessary to have one new character for every sequel just to abandon that character without any further explanation. With regard to this it may be a positive development that with Tricia they had a character returning for the first time since LBT 5. Still the overall impression of the movie is that it is more exclusively made for a younger audience than the earlier LBT movies were.
According to this Wikipedia article, LBT 12 was the first LBT film regarded as a "tween" film, which may explain why you feel the way you do about LBT 12.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I certainly didn't start feeling that way after reading a Wikipedia article.  ;)
Many of the young audience elements I saw in LBT 12 were around in LBT 11 too. If somebody writes at Wikipedia that LBT 12 is the first LBT movie regarded as a "tween" movie that is the opinion of that somebody rather than an objective statement.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
The claim is that Universal Studios gave such a rating to LBT 12. It doesn't site a reference, however. It doesn't look like something one would make up, but you never know with Wikipedia. I'd have to check an official site to make perfect 100% sure.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
When Wikipedia claimed that Dakota Fannings rather than Aria would voice Ducky in LBT 13 and the TV series it didn't sound like something people would make up either. Of course it was a claim bare of any substance anyway. I'm afraid in case of movies there is absolutely NOTHING people wouldn't make up. Unless there is a reliable source we shouldn't trust Wikipedia's LBT information. But even if there was an interview with Mr. Grosvenor in which he claimed LBT 12 to be the first LBT movie which was meant to be "tween" it would not change anything about the presence of the same tween elements in LBT 11.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
4 is my favorite, because of Ali. Cartoon Network showed it yesterday and it really stood out as better than many of the more recent sequels. Ali's return in the series was a one-off and botched, it would be better if she returned in a full-length film, and I think that we can make the assumption that Ali's herd returned to Valley more than once. I have not seen LBT 11 or 12 yet..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Dinonut

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://freewebs.com/ryan_dinomite/
I don't know how to rate LBT 12: The Great Day Of The Flyers because I haven't seen it yet.

Bruton the Iguanodon

0 - Worst
1 - Bad
2 - Not so good
3 - Okay
4 - Good
5 - Excellent

Movie 2: 5
Movie 3: 5
Movie 4: 5
Movie 5: 2.75
Movie 2: 2
Movie 7: 3
Movie 8: 3
Movie 9:...3.5.
Movie 10: 2
Movie 11: 1
Movie 12: 2
Movie 13: 0

Many people don't think very high of LBT 3. Perhaps we are a little harsh on the movie.

Man, I'm so glad you think that way. While a lot of people apparently much prefer "stone of cold fire" and "great longneck migration" I'd say "Time of the great giving" is the 2nd best LBT film after 4---with 2 coming in real close.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Logic failures such as a tsunami rolling from the shore towards the open sea or lack of explanations (how did the gang get onto that log after they rolled it over the cliff?) did not occur in Roy Alan Smith's movies.

Acutally they didn't explain how they got into the land of mists in 4