The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

If you could change one of the sequels...

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
If you say so Weirdraptor. In my view I DON'T mind the songs at all I have stored all the songs on my computer and even put them on a disc to listen to. I say that some songs on LBT have moral in it and that a damn good thing. I know it other ppls view think it shouldn't but you have to think of one thing.

It was over 8 years before LBT 2 came out. 1988 the first one then they brought out number two in 1996. There is a massive gap between them and that changes in the present showed at the time sing along songs in films was a sccuess so they did it and it progressed from there. Some hate the sing along songs but many say other wise.

just depends on taste.

-Threehorn

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
But did the original film need those songs?

I think you do speak for everyone in saying that about the original. If the original didn't need the songs, the sequel don't.

The original film didn't need the songs and I think that the sequels could have been produced without.
However, the original isn't the sequels and the sequels aren't the original. I don't think it was sooo bad an idea. Some of the songs, I think, are an elegant alternative to what otherwise would have to be expressed in rather clumsy dialogues.
I too recorded almost all the songs (one exception) on a CD.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
If well handled, the dialogue wouldn't be "clumsy".
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sure, not necessarily. However I suppose a dialogue in the place of for example "kids like us" would sound very "educational".
I for my part can live with the songs.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
And on the flipside of that, they managed just fine without all those songs in the original, with the life lessons.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't question that and I don't mean to convince you of my point of view. But the fact that great movies can be produced without songs doesn't degrade all movies that do have songs in them. The lessons in the first movie were more basic than at least some of the stuff where they put a song in.
I admit however that there are also songs where a dialogue probably would have done better (e.g. Who needs you?) or where the song sounded as arkward as a dialogue in the worst case might have (e.g. Good inside).

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I know that films with songs can be excellent, heck, I love the most recent "Phantom of the Opera" adaptation.

I just don't think the sequels necessarily needed to have the songs, since the original did get by without them, itself. Plus, you don't always have to outright say the lesson, you could just show it in action, kids often pick up on stuff like that, too.

trexmaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I'm not against the idea of the LBT sequels having songs, but I don't really like the quality of many of the songs so far. One thing I really don't like is the goofy, bubbly modern-kiddie atmosphere prevalent in so many songs, because they feel out of place in a prehistoric world where dinosaurs roam the landscape. I think a more appropriate atmosphere would be similar to that present in The Lion King, Tarzan, or Dinosaur, with tribal drums and wooden flutes. I think they would fit more snugly into the prehistoric environment of LBT.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I'm not convinced. I can't say I'm a massive fan of the s-a-ls but I don't think that they degrade the quality of the film. Of course LBT 1 worked perfectly without the songs but I don't think the s-a-ls make the sequels any worse. I think the main reason why they are continued was because when Smith did them for #2 and continued them up to #4, when Grosvenor took over, he felt he had to carry on the trait. And I'm sure the girl(s) who produce the s-a-ls had a certain amount of say in their inclusion.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
But notice that the sequels weren't as good as the original.

I'm not convinced that they needed to songs and such.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The original is always gonna be the best coz it's the one that starts it all off. On the odd occasion you get the sequels out matching the original but still, I dont think that's any reason to dislike them anymore. I really enjoy the sequels and I'm kinda surprised they didn't make LBT into a running cartoon series (you know...more like 30min episodes) but I'm glad they decided to keep it all as feature length films.

Songs or no...I've got no problem with them

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I really enjoy the sequels and I'm kinda surprised they didn't make LBT into a running cartoon series (you know...more like 30min episodes) but I'm glad they decided to keep it all as feature length films.
My words exactly!
Actually it is quite useless to keep being annoyed about the songs, as they can't be taken out. I'm lucky not to dislike the songs and even liking some of them very much. I get annoyed about shortcommings in story plots rather than songs (not that brooding on that would be any less pointless than keep being annoyed about songs).

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Getting back to topic, what would you change if you could?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That's what I said:
LBT 7 was the first one I had a serious problem with. The whole somewhat undefined thing about the stone of cold fire (what do they really expect it to do anyway) seems a bit strange, but I guess I could live with that one.
What I certainly would change about LBT 7 is the leaving of the rainbowfaces. Aliens from outer space belong into a different kind of story. It rather try to make their parting similar (not identical) to Doc's so everyone could interpret them for the own liking (I do see that there seems to be a paradox in my argumentation as I would prefer a clearer defined stone of cold fire but less clearer defined Rainbowfaces). Also I would do some changes of colors (no way there would be green lava in a movie if I had to decide about it).
LBT 8 does have an interesting story and no serious conflict with the way the world of LBT as presented in earlier sequels. Still I think there would be many changes about the way the story would be presented if I had to decide about it. First of all I would definitely make the sharptooth more threatening, dangerous, and not simply be defeated by a snowball being roled towards him (they'd really have to cause an avalanche for this in a story of mine, an avalanche perhaps which could endanger them as well. There is something like that in an LBT winter story I wrote before LBT 8). Also there are several color changes I would may. No deep green skies, no red to show that water is warm (this could be indicated through vapour above it), less extreme color changes to indicate the characters being warm or cold (e.g. I wouldn't create a deep grey Ducky but rather let the characters shiver or rattle their teeth more obviously. In general the effects of the coldness could be shown more obviously). I would certainly do some changes about Tippy. Perhaps in color, but certainly in his way of acting. Give him more of a character without being too silly. Perhaps I would let him utter complete sentences with some shortcommings in correctness as shown by Petrie or Ducky sometimes. I wouldn't allow a hot volcanic spring to freeze over in my version of LBT 8. There could be something else, like a geysir. Finally, if the green stuff around the hot spring is supposed to support the Great Valley dinosaurs and the spiketails for the whole cold time, I would certainly make it look like it is enough. In the movie the tiny bit of green appears almost ridiculous, more like a morsel than a food supply to last for an undefined long time. They could have come up with other ideas algae in the hot spring for example or needles of conifers (which may not be tasty, but might do to keep them alive).
LBT 10 is probably the most difficult one for me to handle. It strongly contradicts a story I'm writing at the moment (something I'd have to live with) and it seriously contradicts earlier movies (something I cannot accept). I guess I would end up with a whole different story in this case. Bron would have to come up with much better a reason for not being around all the time, the solar eclipse would be presented very differently (not like a falling shadow and without meteors to enhance the effect. Also I don't think I'd let a solar eclipse be the reason for all longnecks (excluding, Ali and her herd, Doc, and obviously parts of Brons herd) to head to a crater in the middle of nowhere. The sharpteeth would have to be much more dangerous ("I wouldn't tolerate a quote like sharpteeth are cowards!" in my story). And if Littlefoot was confronted with the choice of sticking with his father or returning to the valley, I would certainly let Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike also show some reactions other than the one during the song "Bestest friends". Don't get me wrong, the song is quite okay, but I would let them also show some more sadness, and attempts to keep Littlefoot with them.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've pitched in my penny's worth...remember me saying this at all?...

Sequels I'd change...hmm...? To be honest, I can't say. I don't have a problem with ANY of the sequels to the point I'd wanna change them. I'd probably iron out all the little animation glitches and/or mistakes made in them but I wouldn't completely alter any of the sequels. They'll never beat the original but still, I'm happy with 'em nonetheless

Dont think I can add anything more to that from my POV... :D

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I skip past the songs everytime they come on. I just don't think they are necessary in telling the story. They are just too kiddy. I wouldn't mind it if they had sung "If We Hold On Together" in the first movie. It is a beautiful song.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Totally.

Hyp

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I, for one, like songs in movies. Especially the LBT songs. Most of the songs are great, and I really like. But, some just sound really bad. I agree that they could have made the sequels great without songs or with very few songs. But, I have no problem with the songs, I love (most of) them.  :p

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Like I said in the past I have no trouble with the songs from LBT I even have all of them stored on my computer and listen to them whenever I like too. I have around 35 or so tracks some from pop stars singging the song for the end and the song on LBT  11 they just as good.

That my POV anyways...

-Threehorn

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree with you all on the singing issue.  he singing is kinda silly.  However, I did like the "Always There" song from LBT#5.  It was kinda heartwarming.  By the way, I know my spelling and grammer is horrible. but I have a problem with my blasted keyboard.