The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

If you could change one of the sequels...

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah, there are a few alterations I'd prefer, but this is the one that screams "Change me!" the most as far as I can tell. Of course this: my opinion. This is not: a fact I know that not everyone feels the same one. So please, if everyone else likes these parts, great! I think no less of anyone for a simple matter of the differeing of one's opinions, so please respond thus, and please don't feel that I'm "bashing" a scene you may like. I just think that they could use improvement. Ahem:

Movie: The Land Before Time IX: Journey to Big Water.

Scenes: The times Mo saves the whole gang twice and just Littlefoot once.

Explanation of first time: The "bad swimmer" swam up to the surface, ready to gobble one or more of the gang, but Mo saved them by tying a vine to his tail so he couldn't quite get to them.

My reason for disliking it: Nobody ever found out Mo saved them there. In fact, Cera got angry at Mo because she thought his warning was just him laughing.
He thinks this whole thing is funny.
So because of Mo, we have the rest of IX, along with X-XIII and the episodes, but he gets no special positive attention for it, only the opposite. It is very clear that Mo does not want praise, nor does he do things for that, because if so, he would have asked for it.

Mo is one of those guys that does things because they are right, not to get thank-yous in return. But those types should be thanked all the more, and the fact that the movie ends with the gang still oblivious to the first save Mo made for them, well, I feel bad for him and I'm angered as well. I don't use this word often, so you'll understand my emphasis. I "hate" every time one character saves another or multiple ones, and the savees never find out.

Yeah, the viewers know, so we can appreciate them. But viewers can't thank someone in a screen. It is disheartening seeing such deeds go without notice, for I feel for things like saving others' lives is never something that should be hidden from other characters in the show, and especially the ones who are breathing because of it. I just can't stand that.

How I would change it: Perhaps this one simple, extra, innocent comment from Mo after the gang is safe. "Mud brothers all okay? That really close. Mo hoped to stop that "bad swimmer" before it get you."

That would take of the "problem" right there. Then others would know why they're alive right then, and would surely have plenty of kind things to say to him about that. My way would show that Mo didn't ask for a thank-you, he only wanted to make sure his mud brothers were okay and that he did what he could to ensure that.

Another thing confused me.

Explanation of second time: I know the gang saw Mo save them the second time, you know, when they're all in that log and they see the "bad swimmer" nearly upon them. Mo slams his mouth shut at the last moment With the kids looking out, I doubt they missed that save at least.

How I would change it: Would a repeat of Ducky's simple
Thank you for saving me.
that she offered Spike for merely pulling her out of a small hole really be too much to ask here too? Onlt this time that statement can be used literally.

On my last word of the "saving/grattitude factor."

Explanation of third time: After Mo saves Littlefoot from drowning, Mo says how beautiful Littlefoot's world is. Littlefoot says,
I know. Thanks Mo.
I can't tell if he is thanking Mo for the compliment of his world, or how Mo just saved his life.

How I would change it: A little grammar change will clear that right up. "I know it's beautiful. Thanks Mo. And I wouldn't be able enjoy it anymore if not for you just now." That takes all confusion out quite nicely, I think.

I'm sorry for this extreme passion of mine, but the element in shows and stories that bother me the most are when characters do something really nice for others, like saving their lives, and not only don't get thanked, but no one is ever made aware that it happened. Yes, heroes and heroines are usually defined by doing what is right for that reason alone, but with all the creative authors in the world, there must be some way for the others to find out what happened.

This is what I'd change more than anything. Most people here know that I must thank people when they do things for me because you all deserve nothing less for taking your time to do that. Making sure gratitude is given where and when it's due is something that is apart of me. When I see someone going to all kinds of trouble for others and getting no gratitude, it grieves me. In real life, I can whisper, "Yeah, she appreciated you doing that, she just didn't know how to say it." In a cartoon though, no such interaction is a possiblity.

Do you realize how badly I just wanted to pull Mo aside and say, "Mo, they all thank you from the bottoms of their hearts, knowing they still beat on account of you. They are just children though, so appreciation can be neglected in expression, but they do think the world of you for what you did, and how much you risked to do it."

Whenever I see any forgotten gratefullness, be it movie, show, or story, where it is due of the highest respect, like here, just know beforehand that I will be saddened greatly by it. Such things should not be. How can I not speak against them?

I would also bring up my distaste for Littlefoot getting Cera that green food but saying nothing so Cera thought that she got it, because I have much to say on that as well. I'll have to discuss that elsewhere though since this thread specifically asks for sequals, and this happens in movie I. Later.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I would also bring up my distaste for Littlefoot getting Cera that green food but saying nothing so Cera thought that she got it, because I have much to say on that as well. I'll have to discuss that elsewhere though since this thread specifically asks for sequals, and this happens in movie I. Later.
Credit where credit is due, but I think that the sense of the scene would have been lost if Cera had noticed or (worse) if Littlefoot had claimed credit. Cera was too proud to accept any help and I think the main point of that scene was to show that in spite of her attitude and in spite of his owing her nothing Littlefoot still helped her rather than leaving her hungry or trying to humiliate her. Even Cera's boasts did not cause more than rolled eyes from him. Any other attitude of Littlefoot would have been plausible, but not special.
Other characters may also consider the pleasure of doing something right sufficient reward without thirsting for applause (least of all the kind of applause they would have to demand rather than the kind that would be bestowed on them on the initiative of the one "owing" gratitude).

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I could do without some, but not all, of the songs. Other than that, however, the only thing I would've changed is the super high pitched voices of the gang in some of the sequels.  That's pretty much it for me.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 3 2009 on  02:51 PM
Credit where credit is due, but I think that the sense of the scene would have been lost if Cera had noticed or (worse) if Littlefoot had claimed credit. Cera was too proud to accept any help and I think the main point of that scene was to show that in spite of her attitude and in spite of his owing her nothing Littlefoot still helped her rather than leaving her hungry or trying to humiliate her. Even Cera's boasts did not cause more than rolled eyes from him. Any other attitude of Littlefoot would have been plausible, but not special.
Other characters may also consider the pleasure of doing something right sufficient reward without thirsting for applause (least of all the kind of applause they would have to demand rather than the kind that would be bestowed on them on the initiative of the one "owing" gratitude).
I like how that scene went.  Littlefoot is protective of his friends and does not ask for anything in return when he helps them.  For him to boast or take credit for his actions would only contradict this part of his nature.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
LBT 13 was a great story but the overall seriousness level was waaaaaaay below what it should have been.  Just make the "yellow bellies" a bit more believable and serious and it would have been a perfect sequel.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I'd be much more judicious with the songs. There are some places where they are perfectly appropriate. The use of  Peaceful Valley in the beginning and the end is a prime example.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
maybe keeping or putting back in some of the feel of the earlier sequels.  One can have a serious story and still have some comedy in it.

AloneButNotLonely

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Threehorn,May 23 2005 on  07:41 AM
I love the sing along songs. I even put a load of the tracks on a CD and listen to it on the way to college. So I like to listen to them, what I like and no one can stop it  :lol

Some ppl don't like some of the songs but you EVEN said to Avrens you think the Bestest Friends song was a touching song that even you said to me that it right song for the right moment. maybe you forgot that you said that to me, but I remember it.  :)

-Threehorn
I do too!!!! Only on my way to high school. Not college yet, but I most definitely will in college too!!! That is awesome. Don't ever change.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd have part of the 4th movie rewritten so Ali's mass teleport/fast travel power is removed.  The only way she can get back to the great valley, get littlefoot's friends and get back to the site of the cave in all in the 6 minutes that littlefoot gets to meet the movies's main 2 bad guys and Archie and do a few scenes.  & also to get back to the great valley before the night flowers even begin to wilt.  

Likely best no one's liked any of my rp ideas since if I did one I would let Ali, if she was playable, have the mass teleport/fast travel power she exibits in teh 4th movie.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is a plothole, that could be adressed, in a sequel..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe her herd or just Ali herself were / was experimented on to give her or them the ability by someone whoever the 7th movie rainbowfaces work for.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No, I think it was simply for expediency's sake. realistically, it would take Ali a good half hour to an hour to get from to the tunnel to the Great Valley again..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I timed it, during the time she was traveling to the great valley littlefoot was onscreen for about 3 minutes, with no places for several days or weeks to pass unless they say time stopped within the cave.  and on the way back from the great valley with Littlefoot's friends it took her and them about 6 mintues, also with no places for gaps of time while Littlefoot was on screen, the 9-10 minutes that littlefoot was onscreen seem pretty seamless to me with no spots where one can easily say several days, weeks, hours passed.  & why didn't the flowers wilt on the way back? They didn't since it took them only about 7-10 minutes to get back to the great valley thanks to ali's power.  

Like I said, good thing no one was interested in any of my stupid rp thread ideas since I'd have to allow ali, if she was playable to have that power.  Though it's only good for long distance travel only, not short distance.  Else she would have just popped to the other side of the cave in to get littlefoot.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If they had not been seperated, there would have been no reason for Ali to go back to get the others... without that cavein, it would have simply been Ali and Littlefoot tofgether for 90 minutes..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Or littlefoot standing his ground in the great valley and going to get his friends.  I'd have had hiim do that, stand up to ali.  say he & his friends have been through a lot together.  They faced many dangers together and traveled to the great valley together and wether she likes it or not they'll be traveling with him to get the night flowers.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There hadn't been any reason for him to bring them with.. in fact she had convinced him not to take the others.. and that was Ali showing her wiles, to get Littlefoot to do as she wanted...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Still if he had stood his ground that would have removed that plot hole that shows ali does have a power.  it seems some dinos in the lbt world do have a power.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not a power in the sense the Rainbowfaces showded in thier leaving which was far too Star Trek-like for my taste.. No, its the same power you or I have.. we can convince someone to do something. For example I could convince you to try rocky road ice cream..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: