The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 176067

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Velociraptor777,May 21 2012 on  10:58 AM
this may be slightly off topic but I think earlier in this thread or maybe I"m thinking of somewhere else.. but it was said that in the final cut they made the scene when Sharptooth jumped on Littlefoot's mom's back only shown as a shadow against the rock... well I just watched my copy of the VHS and mine has the orginal scene! It actually shows him jumping on her! not in shadow!

Just got excited about that! maybe some of the deleted footage isn't lost??
In the official release, not the unmodified one, there is a part where you do see Sharptooth jumping and then landing on Littlefoot's mother's back. The biting and Littlefoot's mother trying to buck him off are what's in shadow.

Does this scene you speak of go this way? See Sharptooth land on her back and then the fight part be in shadow right afterwards? Or do you actually see Sharptooth bite into her back, not as a shadow?

James Lyndon

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I know this has been written everywhere but i searched informations on The land before time with its finnish title "Maa aikojen alussa", looked on wikipedia and said that the uncut version was showed on MTV3 in 1998, i translated the text in english thanks to google translate:

Movie theater / VHS / laserdisc / DVD releases have been cut several minutes of material, but the full uncut version is shown in Finnish TV in 1998, MTV3 channel. [1] cuts, due to, inter alia, the movie ending differs greatly from the original - paw can not find the Great Valley At the end of the film such as the variant is shown in cut, but will find it alone as early as after a fight Sera, and then return to seek other.
Overall, the cutting took approximately 11 minutes film material, the initial length of about 80 minutes (PAL standard is about 75 minutes).

I don't know if this could help, but if Wikipedia Finland has got this information I suppose it could be true, is there a finnish user who could help translate the informations from othere sites ? :lol:

ps. I found also the dates when the movie aired in Finland:
Televisioesitykset
Pvm Paikka  
25.12.1995 MTV3  
31.1.1998 MTV3

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^We know that already. That information in the English and Finnish wikis comes from the same member/group of members, and they are members of this forum as well. One of them is Pikkutassu, who remembers some missing scenes and dialogue from the 1995 airing, most famously the berry scene and the original ending. His parents recorded it on tape, but later they wrote something else over it. Pikkutassu then started looking for possible recordings over Finnish websites, and created some buzz there. Some people said that they have the recording of the 1995 airing and that it was just the normal version of the movie, while two people said they have the uncut version on tape. Pikkutassu didn't hear a word of them afterwards. About that same time (sometime from March to July 2011), another Finn, a DeviantART member with the nick shuvuuia, decided to investigate the matter in detail (the journal entry has been deleted since then). She got a subscription to Helsingin Sanomat, the most read Finnish daily, and found the issue from the day of the 1995 airing. The newspaper said that the duration of the movie was only 60 minutes.

But, she also asked some of her Finnish friends about the airing, and they all remembered some details which can't be found in the cut version.

So, there are two explanations: The uncut version was aired indeed (how does this reconcile with people who say they have the recording, saying it was just the regular version?) and the journalist made a mistake listing the duration of the movie as only 60 minutes , or some LBT fans succumbed to the power of auto-suggestion, and instead of remembering details from the airing, they actually remember details from "Friends in Need" or the LBT press release.

I actually remember the berry scene and the original ending myself, from a German airing in 2002, but upon seeing that a TV guide from the date of the airing lists the duration of the movie as only 66 minutes, I cannot exclude the possiblity that I succumbed to auto-suggestion myself.

James Lyndon

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Well I don't know if we could call auto-suggestion(maybe from the books ? But I doubt), this case regarding the uncut Land Before Time, because a lot of people remember scenes that general pubblic has ever seen ;)
I know some users of this forum contacted Universal and said that the footage is gone forever, but I think the uncut copy is still in their archive somewhere (like Disney's uncensored Black Cauldron which is definitely in their archive).
How about Don Bluth ?
I know Bluth himself, said that the uncut copy of The land before time was destroyed but does he know about the finnish copy ?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is what Don Bluth had to say on the lost scenes:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68208000/Don%20on%...st%20Scenes.wav

Courtesy of the file goes to AvestheForumFox :)

Ah shoot, it seems the sound file is messed up... Here's the original topic on that: http://gangoffive.net/index.php?showtopic=7394

James Lyndon

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Thank you Mumbling for the audio clip. So Spielberg has maybe got all these scenes ? .-.
How unfortunate, Don Bluth always had the worst luck possible with his movies especially The land before time and All Dogs go to Heaven which were both censored.
I don't know if it is official but it seems that they are planning to release An american Tail on Blu-ray (the news is a bit old but I don't know if is it true or not ?)

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4472/american_tail.html

If the the blu-ray of The land before time will be released in the near future, could we ask Spielberg about these scenes ? I know Spielberg wants to approve all of his home-video releases so who knows, let's hope that they involve Don Bluth for a future blu- ray release and they think about the Finnish copy. ;)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes, though Spielberg is (as discussed in that topic I mentioned) harder to reach than Don Bluth. In any case, there is hope of those scenes, even if they are simple sketches as mentioned by a person earlier in this topic. They could include those as a bonus option or maybe as a special edition version. I'm not sure if they would do it seeing all the costs that go with it. All hope I can see if get a massive petition, at least 5000 votes, to make the original movie on a blu-ray disc including those scenes.

This is possible, as my petition to translate the land before time to dutch has got 195 signatures. We've got many members on the Gang of Five, quite a couple of members on The Land Before Time Fanclub on Deviantart and many of us own websites regarding the land before time who could support such a petition. The problem is that nobody has taken that step yet nor is there anyone who has investigated on how to contact spielberg/Universal in a more personal approach (as to not get an automatic reply).

James Lyndon

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Does Spielberg appear at some events like the Comic-On ? I think that George Lucas was at the comic-on a few years ago, maybe we could reach Lucas first, because unlike Spielberg he isn't very busy in the movie buissness as a director. He doesen't direct a movie since 1999 and he simply creates tv-series based on that same movie. :D
Maybe we should try with George Lucas. :)

tad10

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hi, new to this forum, I found some more original production material that may shed some light on those lost scenes, sorry if any of its been posted before

http://images.wikia.com/landbeforetime/ima...acter_sheet.jpg

The search continues!  :idea

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hi tad! Welcome to this forum. I think some of them might have been posted before, but it's still nice to see some new ones :D Hope you enjoy the rest of this forum as well :)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Great find! I haven't had the opportunity to see these before.

tad10

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Aug 25 2012 on  02:09 AM
Hi tad! Welcome to this forum. I think some of them might have been posted before, but it's still nice to see some new ones :D Hope you enjoy the rest of this forum as well :)

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
Quote from: tad10,Aug 24 2012 on  05:55 PM
Hi, new to this forum, I found some more original production material that may shed some light on those lost scenes, sorry if any of its been posted before

The search continues! :idea
Awww, man! These look great! :DD And welcome to the forum! :D

Also, sorry for going a bit off of topic here, but I do know for a fact that Bluth has a DVD of the uncut version of All Dogs Go To Heaven; most of these cut scenes were of Charlie and his nightmare.

Similarly to the Land Before Time, most of these scenes were too scary for children.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
so I was looking into deleted scenes from Disney movies and I remembered the land before time. So I noticed many blu ray films released deleted scenes as bonus features and I'm still curious as to all the parts that got cut out from the sharptooth and the earthquake scene. I hope more can be updated from this and any information on how to contact Steven .

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile

Mercury

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Being Finnish myself, I recall seeing the film in the 90's. Both airings infact.
And one of them was recorded, but as usual, it was overwritten sometime later.

I'm pretty sure the image where Sera is alone in the caves alone was in the
uncut version. Also there was a part where Ducky(Alli in Finnish version)
is baiting/teasing a baby Sharptooth on a pond.

Some things Pikkutassu has mentioned, such as the berry scene and
Sera being "racist" about Spike, are things I also seem to remember.

Then there was the scene where the gang couldn't get food or water,
which I seem to remember this memory could be from some Land Before Time-related book.

If Pikkutassu, or other Finnish members could chime in and comment, that would be cool.

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I think the original version of the film was altered quite a bit, which explains why the movie is only one hour and 9 minutes long. I think Littlefoot was supposed to find the Great Valley before them all, but FAR ahead of them, leading to the part where they find the desert, Littlefoot actually mistaking it for the Great Valley. Then, Cera says her "This is your Great Valley?!?!?!??? YOU'RE CRAZY!!!!!" line. If you notice the part where Littlefoot sees his mother's spirit in the clouds, you see the giant rock in the background that killed the Sharptooth, which seems like it was supposed to happen before they killed Sharptooth.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have to pay attention to that, when I watch the original next time :) Good point!
Inactive, probably forever.