The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My art work

Ptyra · 332 · 66555

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSP!

EEEEEEEEEEYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKK!  :wow :wow :wow   :D  :D  
IT'S MEEEE!!!!!!!

Oh, Ptyra, that's ok (I WOULD be smaller than Pterano, anyway)

What you've got there is EXCELLENT!  I'm feeding little Ptyra a fish, how adorable!! And Pterano likes me, too. Great!

I WENT BANANAS! When I first saw this!  

:yes  :yes

BTW, you may color it in (that is, if you want to),

also, which flyer is in that "time of the great growing" drawing. Is that me?

*I did look at my reflection in the water in one of my lbt dreams, and I did remember saying "I am one handsome flyer" I think that's me!! (or is it a young version of Pterano?)

And by all means, you are welcome to use me in ANY of your drawings.

I look like one happy, friendly flyer (you hit a bullseye on my personality)

My heart is pounding with excitement and my mouth muscles are getting sore. I CAN'T STOP SMILING! I'm OVERJOYED!!  :lol:

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Ohh...didn't make it clear. It's actually Pterano actually becoming aware of his appearance...and taking it quite well for a pre-teenager.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I don't think I've ever seen a more animated* reaction to a piece of artwork than yours, Jared. :lol

*I swear by my sideburns, that joke was TOTALLY unintentional. :blink:

Quote from: Jrd89,Apr 17 2010 on  11:02 PM
I WENT BANANAS! When I first saw this!
When I first glanced at that, I thought you said, "I want bananas!" :lol

Anyway...Ptyra: You did a GREAT job on Flyer-Jared’s head (it’s just a very well-drawn flyer head). His neck, however, looks a little on the thick side. Also,
is he supposed to be on all fours? If he is, then I should point out that his left hand is over his right foot. Both his hands are pretty well drawn, though his right arm and hand look quite a bit stockier and more angular than his left. Maybe it’s just me, but his feet, though well-drawn, also look a little big (Or his he going through an awkward age himself? :p). As for Pterano, he looks...extremely friendly and cheerful, for some reason. His head, too, is very well done :yes And apart from a somewhat strangely-shaped outermost toe, his feet and legs are excellent. His right hand looks pretty good, though I would give it a more defined wrist, and move the “borders” of his claws (especially the top two) further right, so that they don’t match up with the line of his keft arm so perfectly. As for his left hand, I’d change the angles of the creases between his fingers to be more horizontal.

Despite its relative simplicity, I personally consider the second pic to be REALLY good. :wow Pterano’s head and expression, especially, are incredible. (His left foot is pretty darn good, too. :yes) You did very well making him look youthful (and a little vain :p). His right lower leg is a little shorter and thicker (at the top) than his left, and his toes are of somewhat variable sizes and shapes, but besides that, incredible as it may seem, I really can’t come up with much to criticize. :p

Pterano looks even younger in the picture with Ada (who looks to be giving him a lesson in Marine Biology :p). Both of them look excellent; again, their heads in particular. Their expressions are so well done that you can almost figure out what’s going on in the scene by them alone. To me, anyway, Ada looks to know more about the sea creatures she is looking at than Pterano, and is fascinated with them, while Pterano seems maybe a bit hesitant (I might even say squeamish), but also curious. I also love how you showed their knees sticking up underneath their wing membranes. And the background is nice, too.

I do notice that Ada’s hands are much larger than Pterano’s, and while her left foot looks great, her right one is disproportionately large. :blink: Pterano’s feet are also a tad asymmetrical, though I think his hands look better than Ada’s.

The picture as a whole is a beautiful little (proto-romantic?) moment between Pterano and Ada, and I have to say it’s one of my favorite drawings you’ve ever done of them as youngsters. :yes (Also, why do I get the feeling that Pterano’s about to receive a painful introduction to the creature coming up on his right? :lol)

Quote from: Ptyra,Apr 17 2010 on  10:03 PM
I thought it would be more interesting for Ada's wing to be damaged that it would heal, but take a VERY long time to do so. Once it does, she returns home to find that Pterano and her egg are gone. Tybalt then explains to her what happened...with extreme truthfulness for a villain character.
First you were going to have Ada die...then she was going to survive but be crippled and unable to fly...now she survives AND gets better. :unsure: I hope I don't sound like I'm infringing on your creativity, but I personally liked the darker and more bittersweet versions better. (Admittedly, it DOES solve the problem of how Ada gets to the Great Valley with a severely torn wing.) If you do end up taking this route, I'd suggest at least leaving Ada with a scar on her wing (Boy do I sound morbid :blink: :rolleyes).

Anyway, the picture: Tybalt looks very old in it to me, for some reason. :confused How long is this supposed to take place after Pterano leaves? Both he and Ada are extremely well-drawn; outstanding feet (again, that was accidental! :wow) are becoming the norm for your artwork. The only things on Tybalt for which I can suggest improvement are his right lower leg (thicker than the left) andófar more significantlyóhis left hand; look at the part where the back of his hand diverges from his wrist, in relation to his (rather angular) thumb, and you should see what I’m talking about. As for Ada, the outlines of her eyelids and lower jaw look a bit wrinkly, and like I said, there should be some indicator that she was severely injured, but other than that she looks excellent. (If you intended for her expression to be one of shock and/or concern, you succeeded magnificently. :yes)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As I write, I do have concepts that change...quite heavily in some cases, like Ada's "dead or alive?" storyline. In a prior version, when her wing was heavily damaged, she flew between four much bigger fliers (a family of Quetzalquoatolus), almost so she was "trapped" in an air vacuum that kept her a float. It probably wouldn't work, but then again, it IS an LBT universe where one Quetzalquoatalus carried THREE young dinosaurs a top its back :lol ! It is good to make some changes to stories, even if they are extremely dramatic. It shows that you're at least still thinking about the story.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I guess it'll be safe for now to show some non-LBT art until I decide if I REALLY want to make another art thread for non LBT stuff.

As a kid, there were two movies I remember "playing along" with: Land Before Time VII, where I was ALWAYS Pterano and the female characters and The Brave Little Toaster: To the Rescue, where I was ALWAYS Lampy, Blanket, and Maisey the cat. Gawwwd, I LOVED Lampy X3 . I still do...kinda like with Pterano. I even find some of his changes in behavior admirable...though Lampy's was a bit "shocking" (Pun both intended AND unintended). I recently watched all three of them. I only saw the original a few times, and I'm not sure if I ever saw the third. If I did, all I remember was Lampy giving the Little Master his bottle while they were on Mars. I said "Wait, maybe I HAVE seen this one?"

Anyway, upon re-watching it, I have come to love Radio, as well as gained more for Lampy. I've mostly done sketches for it, but here's what I've done.

Left to right, we have Lampy and Radio doing some kind of dance. I eventually decided on "Puttin' on the Ritz" XD . Then, we have an OC, who does not have a name or official design. She is a "mish mash" though, and is supposed to be a lamp-like nightlight. And there were some issues with her "coming to life", so they come up with a solution (thanks to ol' Wittgenstein), and Radio's reaction is...well, Radio-like. It would be hilarious if he quoted Frankenstein (He's already done Moby Dick...and many others).

Radio dancing solo, Lampy's "electrical" personality 180, a scene from my fan fiction in which Lampy personally welcomes Radio back from "Silicon Heaven" (whoever gets the reference gets a greaaaaaaaat big internet cookie!), and Radio having Lamp-envy toward a flashlight who just became friends with Lampy...and the Lamp disapproving.

And finally, some fan fiction sketches.

The one on the left and the one in the middle can be read here, and an older version of Lampy hugging Radio can be found here

It's not LampyXRadio slash if you don't want it to  :p . With these particular characters, I like'd like to "bend" my fan stuff so that it suits whatever fan thinks =P . As for me, I don't care either way. I think that they become close buddies as they grow on each other (and they'd certainly have to get along in the cabin SOMETIMES). I honestly think they'd go crazier without each other than WITH each other :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm afraid I've never seen The Brave Little Toaster, so I don't think I can offer much helpful feedback on these pictures. :oops Still, they look good, especially the lamp's expressions. :yes (I particularly like his reaction to the Frankenstein joke. :lol)

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Nice pictures of TBLT here. :yes
Although i believe lamp's nose looks differently in the movies.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,May 2 2010 on  01:13 AM
I'm afraid I've never seen The Brave Little Toaster, so I don't think I can offer much helpful feedback on these pictures. :oops Still, they look good, especially the lamp's expressions. :yes (I particularly like his reaction to the Frankenstein joke. :lol)
I may just have to recommend it. It's an original LBT-era movie...and it's REALLY good. The second isn't quite as good, but it's a very worthy sequel. The third? It's only good if you want a movie to laugh at. Other than that...bleh. They talk at the same time too much in that one. But the first is wonderful! Youtube doesn't have the first one because the song "Tutti Fruity" (the Little Richard one) is copyrighted by that company we all hate (the other one than Viacom). But it's on Megavideo. Of course, you can only watch the first 72 minutes, but the rest is on Youtube :) .

Most of the time I drew Lampy without a reference, which is why his snout came out that way :/

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Great Brave Little Toaster drawings.  I've seen the first movie often.  Never seen any of the sequels though.    So you made an oc also? Interesting.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
At this point, I have several! Which gets me to remembering some other BLTs...

(All of these are old as far as my development goes)
This was the very first I drew (which is why Lampy is very sloppy on the two on the left). The two characters with Lampy and Radio are Dromio and Thisbe, characters of my very own :)

Dromio is not pleased :/

Trivia: John Lasseter and many other Pixar folk worked on the Brave Little Toaster. This means that THREE personified lamps came from them. It would be quite an awesome meeting

Lampy, meet Luxo Jr.

Quintus the Savannah Cat and the Flashlight

I need to work on that cat :/

Introducing yet another character, an El Camino :)

Initially, this was a save-the-Radio scene, but I have now decided that Radio is controlling the pedals :)

And two more: A gramophone (that can only play Habernera from Carmen, and Pastoral Symphony later), and a 50's karaoke machine (which looks nothing like a karaoke machine)

This is the "ending scene" that has a reprise of Little Richard's Tutti Fruity X3 . Lampy and Radio are having a dance solo, but eventually Radio's going to lose it from having so many lights in his face. Oh look, the Luxos have made a cameo!

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 What  Ireally like is the expression of one of you characters (Dromio and Thisbe) when the song is there and he is like getting angry :smile .
 Nice pics you have here!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well done drawings.  I like the expressions on their faces, instead of them being just static or stiff characters.

Kit12

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow Ptyra, all of these are just awesome. Yeah I've been checking them a while now, but keep forgetting to actually comment, bad me.

Anyway, they're great! I wish I could draw *sigh*

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks, folks! Well, I've got another LBT color (somewhat), and three more BLT.

Here's the LBT

I was too lazy to do a background, but I do like the black with the lighting. I was trying to depict an "epiphany" scene =P

And now for the BLTs

Have you seen the well-to-do up and down on Park Avenue?

Something a bit more emotional

Poor Lampeh :(

And a sketch pile

While most speak for themselves, the one on the left needs some SERIOUS explaining. I had a dream about something like that happening, but it was VERY unclear about what was going on. All I remember was Radio making some "good news, bad news" comment about someone not being available on the radio waves and everyone present being upset by it (I only remember Lampy's presence, though).

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
There you are Pterano. (I missed you) after a near 3 week absence. I was getting worried.

Ptyra, I feel very relieved and happy to finally see a new Pterano drawing (First one since April 17th) when you posted the one of me feeding little Ptyra a fish, and Pterano with a great smile of approval behind me. :)

My favorite of the Lampy & Radio drawings is "Puttin' on the Ritz." That's a great one.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting more of your great artwork.  I'm sure we all hope to see more.  I know I do.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I've got another LBT, and another BLT :D

I honestly did not feel like doing a background...on top of having some little allergy issues x__x

But, I'm pleased with it. I might do a background later...maybe during my summer break...

Now one with a background that I'm incredibly proud of. It's my first picture in AGES to be made from scratch on the tablet.

My idea for the little lamp is that the Master's second child wanted a lamp nightlight, and they actually had to MAKE a teensy little lamp. Unfortunately, it took quite some time to "wake her up" when she was completed, and when she finally was, it was almost like she was literally a child, not knowing a lot about the world, leaving her to be taught be the Toaster and his friends...primarily Lampy, who played the biggest part in bringing her to life.
Annnd it's a lesson on the creation of the light bulb :nyah . The only problem is that she needs a really redundant name, but I can't think of one.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
AUGH!!! I’m so sorry for not posting feedback in this thread for so long! :bang :bang :bang Obviously, I’ve got a lot of catching up to do. The good news is, I did get around to watching The Brave Little Toaster, so I think I can offer more helpful feedback on all the fanart you’ve done for that movie lately.

I’m going to post my reviews in increments, based on the date on which you posted each batch of artwork.

May 3:

Is Thisbe supposed to be a bat of some kind? I really can’t tell what that amorphous, trailing tail-like thing behind her is supposed to be. I’m having even more trouble telling what Dromio is. :confused

Loved the lamp crossover picture. :lol Who’s the third personified lamp you were talking about?

I’ve always found cats to be hard to draw, but I think you did a pretty good job with Quintus. If you’re looking to improve, maybe you could make his neck less vertical, and give him more of a distinct muzzle, to keep his face from appearing too flat. Also, try to keep his front and hind paws on the same level (this is something I have a lot of trouble with whenever I draw quadrupeds); otherwise it looks like he’s either standing on an incline or half of him is defying gravity. :p By the way, why a savannah cat, just out of curiosity? :)

I also think you did a good job on the personified flashlight. I could definitely imagine seeing one of those in a Brave Little Toaster movie. :yes My only question is, how would she move around? I’d imagine rolling on her side would be dizzying, and not very efficient because she’d tend to go in circles, :lol so maybe hopping, or sort of rocking from side to side? It also occurs to me that the poor flashlight’s at a bit of a functional disadvantage, seeing as she can’t really use her light when she’s standing normally. Is she good at standing upside-down, or falling over without injury and getting back up? :idea :lol

Oh, wait. Maybe the next picture answers my question. Is that a new design of the flashlight? Looks like you’ve given her a head design that’s more like Lampy’s, so she can stand on her other end (or maybe lie on her side) and still use her light. I’m still curious as to how she moves around, though.

The picture with the car is another of my favorite non-LBT pictures you’ve done. You did a great job giving the characters panicked expressions, especially Lampy and Quintus. And the car. I love the car. :lol He(?) looks like he’s(?) thinking, “I’m going to crash . . . I’m going to crash . . .” :lol Meanwhile, Lampy looks like he’s asking Quintus the question everyone else looks to be thinking: something like, “Have you ever been to driving school?” Quintus looks understandably reluctant to answer. :lol

I can’t make out a lot of detail on the gramophone, but I think the horn looks good, especially in terms of shape. The . . . whatever the gramophone is standing on, however, is kind of warped-looking, like a cube that leaned forward and twisted slightly to the left. Quintus, Toaster, and the Luxos (I love the eyes you added to them) look pretty good, but the vacuum cleaner’s face is sort of odd-looking. I do like the design of the karaoke machine; looks like something else that could come out of canon BLT. The bookshelves (if that’s what they’re supposed to be) look nice as well, though their inner sides and some of their shelves are a little slanty.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thisbe and Dromio are OCs of mine, who are one of those "Chimera experiment" kinds of things. Thisbe is an experimental mix between various bats and snakes (a very horrible disadvantage, considering that she can neither fly nor move her body well). Dromio is Lapine, snake, hedgehog, and some bird (in this version. I decided to remove his wings entirely recently).

The shelves are supposed to be display shelves that everyone is off of at the moment.

And I've always wondered how Flashlight moved, myself XD . I guess someone just carries her most of the time.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
May 6:

Are you eventually going to color the whole scene with teenage Pterano and Ada?  I thought the background in the sketch looked really good. (And what about the crab that looked like it was about to painfully dull Pterano’s enthusiasm for marine biology? :lol)

Background (or lack thereof) aside, I think the colored image turned out really well. :yes Pterano’s hands and feet look remarkably good (Ada’s aren’t bad either, though her right foot looks bigger than her left, and her fingers apart from her thumb are kind of long). You also did a great job delineating their knees underneath their wing membranes. Both of their heads look very good, though I notice Pterano’s lower beak is shorter than Ada’s (On the other hand, the tip of Ada’s lower beak looks a bit projecting to me). The most obtrusive detail to me, however, is Ada’s eye. It looks too narrow relative to its height, and I feel like the yellow area underneath (her lower eyelid?) extends a bit too far horizontally (In the original sketch it only went about halfway past her pupil). To me, Ada’s eye makes her look a lot older than she’s intended to be in this picture.

I like the colors and texture on the sea star, but I notice that its lower two arms do not intersect at an inverted point like the others, but are connected by an almost horizontal line. There’s also a tiny wedge of Ada’s wing membrane visible above the star’s left (observer’s left) lower arm that is miscolored the same as her stomach.

The colored version of Lampy and Radio “Puttin’ on the Ritz” looks fantastic. I love it that you put a spotlight in (Is that Flashlight’s work? :p). Lampy’s cane and some of the . . . horizontal bar thingies on Radio could be straighter, but the hats (especially Radio’s) and Radio’s cane look next to perfect, and you did an incredible job of drawing their cords wrapped around their canes. :wow (Say, what exactly ARE their canes, anyway?) I like how you did Lampy’s “foot”, too. (He looks good in that hat, by the way. :lol) Lampy’s snout is sort of short, but still well drawn (and if this was a drawing of Lampy you made without a reference, then he’s AMAZING :wow).

The lower side of the light beam in the third picture isn’t quite realistically straight, in my opinion, but the light effect looks AWESOME. :wow This was also a very effectively done emotional scene. Even having not seen The Brave Little Toaster when you posted the sketch, and with Lampy’s expression not being visible, the somber tone of the scene was apparent to me. Radio is also very well drawn (though I notice that his antenna is missing), and I like the touch (pun completely unintended) of Lampy laying his plug on Radio emotionally.

I can’t come up with much to say for the sketch pile, except that the characters are very well done overall (Blanket particularly stands out as looking almost exactly as I recall from the movie). Lampy’s snout still looks a bit truncated in some of these, but his cord and “foot”, for the most part, are very good. By the way, I notice that Radio looks a lot sadder with the arrow on his clock pointing downwards.