The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A sudden change of species 2.0?

rhombus · 261 · 39788

Poll

Which of these options do you favor?

Everyone coincidentally—probably because of the multiple screams—conjugate together at Chomper's sleeping spot (where Ruby has just noticed Chomper) and meet each other for the first time there. This is similar to the Seven Hunters meetup.
1 (16.7%)
A bunch of small initial meetups first (eg. Ducky with Petrie, etc) that will eventually result in every separate group of the gang coming together after the pairs/threes understand their scenario.
1 (16.7%)
Mother flyer is convinced of Petrie's transformation and this eventually leads her to helping to find the groups of changed children.
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: December 20, 2019, 01:55:47 PM

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good evening.  I was talking to Ducky on the Discord server and the subject of the long-dormant “sudden change of species” RP came up.  As you may or may not remember, that was a roleplay in which the gang of seven were turned into various kinds of sharpteeth and were forced to flee the valley.  Sadly, activity in the roleplay slowed down and eventually stopped before the gang had to hunt and accept the reality of their change.  :(petrie

However, with the story that ran alongside the RP now completed, I think that it might be worthwhile to reconsider this idea of transformation in the Land Before Time universe.  If you think the idea of the gang turning into various species might be an interesting idea to pursue in a roleplay and would like to participate in such a roleplay, please say so in this discussion post.  Likewise, I would encourage you to vote in the poll included in this topic.  Please vote for ALL options that sound interesting to you and we can use these feedback to plan the details of the roleplay itself.  And, as always, questions and discussion is welcomed.  I look forward to hearing what you all think of the possibilities.  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 12:07:49 AM by rhombus »

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
The initial roleplay inspired The Seven Hunters? I... actually do not recall that. It's probably just me. :P

As I said, I had a shock when I saw the discussion, truly ironic timing since I was going to write a longfic based on this concept (at least some subset of it), but I see no reason why not to have them both up and running simultaneously. (they'll probably end up really different anyway based on whatever plans I drafted up. :P)

Sounds intriguing overall so I would not mind being a part of this. I have enough notes to have some idea of successfully roleplaying as a character in a switching-species scenario. :DD
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^ With the roleplay it is a bit of a long story.  But I had the idea of a 'gang turning into sharpteeth' story for a few years and mentioned it as a kind of a joke in the "What would they do" topic of the forum in 2013.  Ducky123 mentioned that it would make for a good RP or story... and the rest sprung from there.  So you can think of the original RP coming at the same time as the story, but Ducky123 certainly deserves a lot of the credit for inspiring me to actually give fanfic writing a chance.  :yes

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
Ooh, this definitely sounds very interesting!! And it’s been years since I actually participated in a long running RP, and I kind of miss it, so I would definitely be willing to take part in this.  :DD
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Yay! I've been getting pretty active with RPs, so I think I can handle one more :lol
And the premise is really interesting! I'm game :smile

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I would like to see gang turned into yellowbellies! :D

Actually, I would like to see how gang changed only into species within the gang without changing between their actual bodies. Cera as Longneck (she would be happy!), Littlefoot as sharpteeth (he would be "happy", I guess), Chomper as longneck (he would be happy to become leafeater? Oo), etc. But I don't see this option, so I chose yellowbellies.  :SmugSpike

Petrie wished for brothers and sisters who were not jerks... the gang were less than impressed when they woke up as flyers the next morning
:lol
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:07:36 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll be honest, I had assumed that yellowbellies was a troll option in Rhombus' poll, but when you put it so eloquently... :sducky
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Would this idea have a real plot or would it be some series of small adventures (most probably with the third option)? And is the number of players practically limited to seven if the Gang are the main characters of the rp?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ I think at this point we are just considering our options.  Though I had imagined a general narrative where the gang try to either adapt to their condition or change back.  This could, of course, involve mini-adventures as well.  As for characters I think the gang, the parents, and some of the major side characters (Ali, Shorty, etc.) could play a role.  Though in terms of people playing in the roleplay on a regular basis, I think seven might be the limit (unless they encounter some OCs a long the way - which we could incorporate to accommodate additional RPers.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:14:23 PM by rhombus »

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I’d be interested. I think I like the “various species” option best.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It could be intriguing if part of the Gang were forced to follow the transformation of their friends to sharpteeth while staying as leafeaters, for sure. The problem here is how to make the premise feel completely fresh again. Everybody turning to flyers could work, too. No matter what you decide, as I said on Discord, I might consider joining this rp at some point. :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:53:00 PM by Sovereign »

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@Ducky123 @OwlsCantRead @jassy @Sovereign @DarkWolf91 @Sneak @Littlefoot505

It looks like this concept (broad as it is) has a lot of interest.  :wow For that reason I think that I will stop the poll so that we can narrow down some of the options in the discussion.  For those of you who are interested in the concept, please make a post indicating your favorite ideas from the top six options in order of preference.  This way I can get a better idea of the relative preferences between the popular options (and possibly do an instant-runoff vote between them).  Also, if you wish, please explain your reasoning using other colored text below each option.

I will start with mine:

1) Transformations happen, but it extends to some of the valley adults as well

I think the focus should be on the gang, but I would not be against a few other dinosaurs perhaps being affected.  For example, if Redclaw and his hench-raptors had to adapt to being leaf-eaters (perhaps going into the valley under aliases and trying to get the kids to help them go back to their meat-eating ways) then I think that would add a lot to any other idea that we use.

2) The gang gets turned into various species (some sharpteeth, some not) and have to consider how to adapt or change back

I put this one as my top choice as I think it would open up the most possibilities for interpersonal struggle and adapting to seeing the world in a new way.  This is especially true if each member of the gang is transformed against type (into species that are the opposite of their current personalities - Ducky the threehorn, Spike the fastrunner, etc.)

3) Petrie wished for brothers and sisters who were not jerks... the gang were less than impressed when they woke up as flyers the next morning

This is an interesting idea because it would be a change to everyone, even Petrie as he would have to adapt to having his friends see the world in what had been his unique way.  The transition to flight would both increase the opportunities for escape if the gang found themselves in trouble, but also increase their ability to get into trouble.  Likewise the reduction in the power sense of smell that Ruby and Chomper had would be an issue they would need to adapt to, as would their greatly improved vision and the need to think in three dimensions.  On the downside, however, this idea reduces the potential variation in everyone's experiences and journey to either acceptance or going back to their original forms (and with the ability to fly I am unsure how many of them would want to go back).

4) The gang gets cursed to change into a new species every few nights and must adapt until they can find a way to break the curse

This maximizes the potential variation in the experiences of the various characters, but it also lessens some of the potential drama.  As, if someone transformed into a sharptooth, for example, they would know it was a temporary situation.  It would also perhaps push the RP into a more crack fic territory, which I am not sure would be a good idea.

5) Same idea as the original RP: the gang gets turned into sharpteeth of various kinds and are kicked out the valley

Been there, done that

6) Petrie and Ducky get swapped (either in species or body)

I would not be against this being part of the RP, but as the sole plot element I think it would be limiting.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorted in preference order.

1) Petrie wished for brothers and sisters who were not jerks... the gang were less than impressed when they woke up as flyers the next morning
This one sounds like it would have the most potential, namely because none of the others have experienced flight from Petrie's POV before... it's just something they take for granted. The downside is that everyone's RP experience would be rather limited (as it is basically how each member reacts to the gift of flying) and hence without a strong turn of plot events (Petrie being flying tutor?), this concept might quickly get old.

2) The gang gets turned into various species (some sharpteeth, some not) and have to consider how to adapt or change back
This one is very high up as well, probably as it's the most basic idea. Especially if as Rhombus says, fate goes for maximum irony. Which, let's be honest, it will just because of the fun involved. The adapt or change back portion may also lead to a decent amount of conflict if some of them decide that they'd rather not change back.

3) The gang gets cursed to change into a new species every few nights and must adapt until they can find a way to break the curse
Maximum experience for everyone being able to write the experience of just about every different species, but it might get overwhelming at times (and possibly crack at times if a random number generator is used)

4) Petrie and Ducky get swapped (either in species or body)
If #3 is finalized as the final option this probably has to happen at some point just for ironies' sake. :^^spike

5) Transformations happen, but it extends to some of the valley adults as well
Granted, if there is more interest there eventually has to be more characters afflicted with this curse/blessing/whatever, right? The one flaw I can think of is that too many cooks spoil the broth, so too many might drag the whole thing to a screeching halt.

6) Chomper gets his wish to be with his friends as a fellow leaf-eater… but ironically they all get changed into sharpteeth at the same time
I think I read a fic with this concept once? Nevertheless, it is still a plausibility, even if it does encroach onto The Seven Hunters quite a bit.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Before I make my list, let me just propose a concept for the change.

I've been very impressed by the japanese movie "Kimi Na No Wa" aka. "Your Name" (remind me to add a link when I get on PC). This movie also has two teenagers swap around every now and then (and they don't know each other) so I'm thinking... could their minds just switch to another body of their circle of friends every so often? Probably best to work with option 4. But alas I should work on my full response
Inactive, probably forever.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
(Under construction)

1) Transformations happen, but it extends to some of the valley adults as well

Hmm, I'm not really sure about that one as I feel having everyone including the adults transform just causes a lot of confusion. I feel it should just concern the gang and nobody else :)

In general, this idea will perhaps offer the broadest spectrum of possibilities but somehow mixing it all up doesn't sit so well with me. There's no clear definition who the enemy is and it'll just make things a lot more complicated.

3) Petrie wished for brothers and sisters who were not jerks... the gang were less than impressed when they woke up as flyers the next morning

While this idea without doubt will be a lot of fun, it is also very limiting and I think it's not quite what we wanted to go for in the first place but if this idea is well liked I could imagine making it its own RP :P

4) The gang gets cursed to change into a new species every few nights and must adapt until they can find a way to break the curse

Yay for random fun and lots of reimagining of our characters. Seriously, I'd be down :DD

5) Same idea as the original RP: the gang gets turned into sharpteeth of various kinds and are kicked out the valley

Been there, done that. It's still a super interesting idea but I'm still pretty sure TSH has done it already to a point where it'll be hard to be original.

If we were to go for a permanent switch and not for 4.) I'd definitely suggest that one.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:01:38 PM by Ducky123 »
Inactive, probably forever.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
0) The Gang of Seven Yellowbellies (Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!)

^^

1) The gang gets turned into various species (some sharpteeth, some not) and have to consider how to adapt or change back

as I said before: for some reason, I would like to see how they change species between each other only.  Maybe because I imagined it even before I have heard about that old   roleplay or any fanfic.

Plus, I want to add something: I wouldn't like to see full acceptance of their fate in this story. :/ I want to see or how they SUCCEED at the end to return they back to normal, or how they don't stop and continue journey to find a way to make things right.

2) Petrie and Ducky get swapped (either in species or body)

actually, why we need the WHOLE gang to change their species or bodies? I would choose this, if it was named "one of two members of the gang get swapped)
lol, srsl, why such boundaries? Why Littlefoot, Cera, Spike, Chomper or Ruby are worse than these two little crawlers? roarrr!

3) Transformations happen, but it extends to some of the valley adults as well

I don't mind to include some single or couple adults as well!

4) Petrie wished for brothers and sisters who were not jerks... the gang were less than impressed when they woke up as flyers the next morning

Fliers are amazing... I would like to see it.

Already was.

6) Chomper gets his wish to be with his friends as a fellow leaf-eater… but ironically they all get changed into sharpteeth at the same time

well, partly, it is the same

7) The gang gets cursed to change into a new species every few nights and must adapt until they can find a way to break the curse

too complicated

-------------

Edit:

<little offtop>

looooool, I was shot by Google translator.
It translated "0) The Gang of Seven Yellowbellies (Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!)" to "0) Unknown performer - I Love You"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
how. just how.

</offtop>
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:54:05 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I guess I'll add in my idea from the RP I could never get started a year ago.

Basically, the kids of Seeker's Pack (from the Seven Hunters series of stories) turn into various leaf eater species, and the pack has to go on a journey to the Great valley, so the kids can live there safely.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm most likely not going to be a part of this rp from the beginning but I thought I'd share my thoughts anyway.

1) The gang gets turned into various species (some sharpteeth, some not) and have to consider how to adapt or change back.

This idea could provide a fresh perspective to the concept as it's quite close to the old plot while adding further, unbridgeable tension inside the Gang itself. The problem here could be the plot later on as it could still go the way of TSH and A Wish Granted. Also, I agree with Sneak that I'd prefer the Gang to be able to change back in the end.

2) Petrie wished for brothers and sisters who were not jerks... the gang were less than impressed when they woke up as flyers the next morning.

As has been pointed out, this is a unique and interesting idea and it'd be cool to see a more flyer-based rp. The problem here is the plot following the change as what else could happen but the Gang learning to fly and then having some awkward discussions with their parents? There's no incentive for them to flee the Valley nor to be separated from their families in this scenario. If we go this path, I'd say we need another event to force the Gang to do something more interesting than just explain stuff to their parents and have flight lessons.

3) Chomper gets his wish to be with his friends as a fellow leaf-eater… but ironically they all get changed into sharpteeth at the same time.

This isn't a big twist to the original plotline but if we decide to go for the my first option, I'd like to see Chomper becoming a leafeater for a change.

4) Transformations happen, but it extends to some of the valley adults as well.

This could offer some interesting stuff with the Gang and their parents but I'm not too sure if it would be that interesting in the end.

5) Petrie and Ducky get swapped (either in species or body)

Rp centered around two characters (and thus two players) wouldn't be too intense but as everyone have stated thus far, it can be one, good plot point of our final idea.

6) Same idea as the original RP: the gang gets turned into sharpteeth of various kinds and are kicked out the valley.

Not too original. It could work if we decided that the plot goes to a different direction than in TSH but I'm not too excited thus far.

7) The gang gets cursed to change into a new species every few nights and must adapt until they can find a way to break the curse.

I fear it would be next to impossible to create a coherent, believable plot with this idea. Again, it could be made to work but right now this seems like a crack fic for me.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:50:03 PM by Sovereign »

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay in my reply, it took me a while to sort my preferences in order,,,

1) The gang gets turned into various species (some sharpteeth, some not) and have to consider how to adapt or change back.

This one is my favorite and the one I’m most enthusiastic about because of the possibilities it presents, to put it simply. While I’m fine with either outcome of the story, I think that having them stay as they are would be a great way for them to adapt and create new lives for themselves. :DD

2) Petrie wished for brothers and sisters who were not jerks...the gang were less than impressed when they woke up as flyer’s the next morning.

This scenario could be interesting, especially since there are various kinds of flyers the gang could turn into!

3) Transformations happen, but it extends to some of the valley adults as well.

Could also be interesting to see how the adults would react to the transformation.

4) Chomper gets his wish to be with his friends as a fellow leaf eater...but ironically they all get turned into sharpteeth at the same time.

This definitely sounds intriguing enough, but I’d be interested to see how Chomper and his friends adapt.

5) Same idea as the original RP: the gang gets turned into sharpteeth of various kinds are kicked out of the valley.

I could get behind this, but as Sovereign said, it could only hold my interest if it went a different direction than The Seven Hunters.

Hmm...not feeling too enthusiastic about this one, as it might end rather quickly and wouldn’t be as action-filled.

7) The gang gets cursed to change into a new species every few nights and must adapt until they can find a way to break the curse.

I feel that this would be too complicated and hard to keep up with. :p
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@Ducky123 @DarkWolf91 @vonboy @jassy @Sovereign @Sneak @OwlsCantRead @Littlefoot505

Thank you all for your details responses to the proposed ideas.  :)  Looking at the responses it is clear that there are two ideas that were consistently highly ranked by most of you:

"The gang gets turned into various species (some sharpteeth, some not) and have to consider how to adapt or change back."

and

"Petrie wished for brothers and sisters who were not jerks...the gang were less than impressed when they woke up as flyer’s the next morning."

With that being in mind, how about we combine those two ideas?  Perhaps something turns the gang into various flyers (some sharpbeaks, some omnivores, and some herbivores) and they have to complete a flyer-specific quest in order to potentially turn back?  This would open us up to new flyer OCs, the exploration of new places, the adaption of the gang to new diets and the gift of flight, and the turmoil of if they can (or would want to) go back.  At the same time elements of flyer beliefs and rituals could be brought up.  What do you all think about this idea?  Please vote in the poll and, if you vote yes, also let me know what you think we should consider adding or revising about this idea.  If you vote no then please let me know your objections and what other ideas you would suggest.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.  :yes
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:15:08 PM by rhombus »