The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT 5---first half or second half?

Guest · 31 · 4868

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Nov 8 2011 on  11:06 PM
My favorite part is by far the first half or so.  It does feel like it could have been done by the person or folks who worked on the 2nd through 4th movies, then another team took over.  I remember thinking that the first time I saw it.
Really?  :smile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We pretty much know it wasn't like that but I also got the impression the first half was made by RAS while the second was made by Grosvenor when I spent some time thinking about it again. They likely collaborated on both halves of the movie, maybe the ideas for the second half were rather Grosvenor-heavy? We just don't know as far as I'm aware...
Inactive, probably forever.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
What makes you think so? I was under the impression that the use of strong colors and effects like the asteroid in the opening sequence had Grosvenors name written over it. The visually most extreme step, in my opinion, was the red light in case of danger.
There were some gloomy elements in the movie (swimmer skeleton) which one might associate more with Smith than with Grosvenor, but I can't say I saw much of Smith's style anywhere.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In the end, though, it comes down to the writers. John Loy wrote V...wasn't he involved with 3 as well? I know he wrote some of the later sequels, while Dev Ross's only post LBT 4 writing credit was movie 9.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Rewatched the film yesterday. I enjoyed it even more the second time around. :D Originally in my LBT rankings I put this just below #4, but now I think I'd rank #5 higher. Definitely among the most epic in the series.

In response to the thread question/original post, hmm, I didn't think the two halves were that different from each other. The first half was a little more consistent overall, imo, but both halves were still great. I kinda wish the desert trek portion had been a little longer, but I love how atmospheric the entire journey is.

Quote from: My original review
[LBT 5] I had seen previously [many years ago], although it wasn't familiar to me at first. It wasn't until around halfway into the film where I began to think, "Oh yeah, I remember this." But even there, the only parts I could recall were:
- The kids travelling across that rocky path to reach the island, only to later have the path get swallowed up by the ocean.
- When the plated Sharptooth first shows up, as I remembered Chomper's parents along with a third, more openly antagonistic adult Sharptooth. And then the final battle between Chomper's parents and the plated Sharptooth, before they knock him into the drink. (Although curiously, I'd forgotten about Chomper himself.)
Adding onto that, when I watched it again, I found that I could also faintly recall the desert trek from when I was a kid.

Quote from: My original review
I'm still not really digging the songs, although "Big Water" and "Always There" are two of the better ones so far. I liked that "Always There" touched upon the fact that Littlefoot misses his mother.
Actually, upon second viewing, I think these two songs are really good. I was lukewarm about the songs initially when I began watching the sequels, but some of them have since grown on me.

I was a bit surprised to discover that I'd forgotten about the log-riding part from the last time I watched the movie, even though my last time seeing it was only a few months ago. I mean, I recognized it once it actually began, but prior to that, the whole scene had slipped from my memory.

It annoys me that Chomper's parents never appeared again, especially since they were some of my favourite supporting characters of the whole series. Of course, I had the same issue with Ali. For that matter, I kinda wish we'd seen Elsie again too.

But all in all, a good time was had.

Topps: "What do you expect them to do? Rise up out of the ocean?"
Grandpa: "That's... that's exactly what they're going to do!"

:DD
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:47:59 PM by StardustSoldier »

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Honestly, I didn't know the first and second halves of the movie were so different until now. It is pretty weird that we were on one set of themes in the first half, and then we waylay them to the side for the moment while another set of themes pops up for the second half. Makes me wonder if they had to stitch together two different movies to save some time and/or budget.

This is also the first movie fully directed by Charles Grosvenor, right? Maybe something happened during the production?

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I always considered LBT5 as whole product. First part smoothly turns to second part.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Agreed with Sneak. The two halves are certainly distinct, but it never felt lopsided to me. I love the way the journey progresses in this one.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I liked the film as a whole. But because I am a Chomperite, I love the second half of the film, especially “Friends For Dinner.” Exposing that the Sharpteeth have their own language changed our perception of them; they were no longer stupid growling carnivores. Which adds to the Original Sharptooth, who probably had some rather “colorful metaphores” (Star Trek IV: The Journey Home) for the Gang of Five. :D

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I liked first half very much, it has no boring moments, i find second half a little worse, but I like it too, and I always enjoy LBT V as a whole with all three songs.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I think the fact that I never noticed there were two distinct halves of this movie (and still don't remember there are distinct halves until this thread reminds me as such) tells me these halves aren't as distinct to me as it would be to someone else...