The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why the cast doesnt grow up

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Bit of a cracky topic (since this IS a kids movie/tv-series), but I wanted to hear your guys' opinions  about a biological take on the good old 'never-growing up'-thing. (I will make the first person who just goes 'they want money' as next victim in my fanfics, jsyk)

I got this thought after watching a dinosaur documentary. Talking about Argentinosaurus, they mentioned that at top-growthtime they (as far as can be determined from skeletons, of course) grew 40 kg PER DAY (I dun want to know how much they have to eat for that :olittlefoot ). Now I admit Argentinosaurus seriously outsizes the Gang, but the principle remains the same.

Especially Littlefoot, Cera and Spike at some point in their lives need to add on kilograms per day and eat correspondingly to reach adultsize... What if the Gang isn't growing up because they are so busy with adventuring etc. that they don't eat enough? Essentially being malnourished  :opetrie

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
  • AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB
    • View Profile
The Rainbowfaces cursed them :rainbowwave :lol

Or maybe sometime between LBT II and VI someone broke Saurus Rock without anyone noticing...and now the whole dinosaur world got “bad luck” - no one born before that incident ages anymore  :lol

And the makers of LBT want money  :PCera
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

Major kudos to anyone who figures out what that means :)

I will find ways to make sure “lol dino” is in all of my posts :lol

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
The Gang and everyone else are inside a simulation ala The Matrix. :p
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Really, it's hard to say how much time has passed between the 14 movies.

In the first movie, the time from Littlefoot's birth to the very next scene is supposed to be 5 years, at least according to a book about it.  From there, it's about a week before they arrive at the valley.  From there, the only time skip before 2 is answering the question of how long it would take for Ducky's mother to have new eggs.  By the end of the movie, they all hatch.

3 could have happened not long after 2.  In 3, fire happens, burning a good chunk of the valley.  It's recovered by 4.  Then comes 5 where all of the food is eaten by bugs, forcing them to leave until it's regrown.  6 has Dana and Dinah, who are somehow Cera's niblets and can talk.  7 has no indication as to when it happens after 6.  8 has the first cold time.  9 has a flood and there's no indication of it ever happening by 10.

11 has another problem.  Tria.  Topsy and Tria get together and have an egg that hatches by 12.  Multiple days pass, leading up to The Great Day of the Flyers.  13 could have happened immediately after. (Though some question if it ever did happen.) Then comes the TV Series, which has it's own problem of time discrepancies.  By 14, Ducky's mother has more eggs.  Those hatch at the beginning of the movie.

It has definitely been a few years at least, but the kids haven't aged a day.  This is a phenomenon known as "Comic Book Time".  It's where the main character never ages, but the rest of the world, including those they know, plus those that are born in that time, do age.  It works better with adults in late 20s/early 30s.  At least there you can get away with it.  However, kids are a different story.  When they are the main focus, they never grow older, even though they should.  Especially with the fact they get a sibling or something.

The odd phenomenon has happened in a lot of Animated Series.  Rugrats had Tommy be 1 1/2 years old, get a brother, and he's STILL 1 1/2 years old.  Maggie was 1.  Apu gets married and has 8 kids.  Guess what?  Maggie is still 1.  Then we have Family Guy who had a woman be 8 months pregnant for quite a few years before giving birth. (Yes, even multiple Christmases happened and she's STILL 8 months pregnant.) Oh yeah, and Ash from Pokemon is STILL 10, despite the fact that a few years have passed. (Some find this VERY hard to accept.)

So yes, the gang are also victims of Comic Book Time.  They haven't aged a day while everyone else has.  We may as well accept that they won't age until the writers say they do.  There's no scientific explanation for it.  They won't age until the writers say so.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Generally speaking, I think we're supposed to assume that these movies are all happening pretty close together. I'd say they've been in the Great Valley for about a week when "2" occurs, and then "3" happens the next week, and so on. That's also probably why they rarely expand their circle of friends.

Some Random Kid Dinosaur: "Key, you guys seem cool! Wanna hang!"
Cera: "Trust me, kid, you don't want to hang out with us. Bad, bad stuff does down every few days with us. It's like a curse. The best thing you can do for yourself..."
Ducky: (interrupting Cera) "Oh, no! No no no! Random Kid Dinosaur seems to have died from a plague that's just infested The Great Valley!"
Cera: (under her breath) "...Son of a..."
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Is if possible The Great Valley is like Never-Land where no one ages? This raises the question then, can you age in the Mysterious Beyond?

I am enjoying this.. ruminate on this I will.   :)petrie

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Maybe that whole theory about the Great Valley being a metaphor for Heaven was in the right after all.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Maybe that whole theory about the Great Valley being a metaphor for Heaven was in the right after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Many cartoons has the same flaw, so characters would be forever closer to young auditory.

But, even at current state of gang's appearance, I believe they grow up a little. From first movie to first sequel, from early sequels to TV series, I can tell they grew up.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
The Rainbowfaces cursed them :rainbowwave :lol

Or maybe sometime between LBT II and VI someone broke Saurus Rock without anyone noticing...and now the whole dinosaur world got “bad luck” - no one born before that incident ages anymore  :lol

And the makers of LBT want money  :PCera

Great answers that made me ROFL! :D

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
^^You were gonna write a response to that, right?

I don’t have any creative taste at the moment unfortunately to make up a reason why the Gang doesn’t grow up. :p

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
^^You were gonna write a response to that, right?

I don’t have any creative taste at the moment unfortunately to make up a reason why the Gang doesn’t grow up. :p

I did respond but it got caught in the quotes lol :D

The reason Gang never ages is they have Benjamin Button disease and they were old and are growing younger. :D XD