The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Gryphon's Blood: an Inheritance Cycle fanfic

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I know there aren't any gryphons in the books but since the books only take place in one part of the world, who's to say there aren't any gryphons in the Inheritance world?

PS: This contains minor spoilers of Book 4.  It doesn't really have much to do with the book other than being set in the same world though.

Chapter 1: Young Hearts

More than a century years had passed since the fall of the Empire and the death of Galbatorix at the hands of Eragon Bromson. The Dragon Riders flourished once again and peace had spread across the world. But all this meant little to those who lived beyond Alagaesia's borders. In the land of Danthuania, far to the south of Alagaesia, gryphons roamed the continent from coast to coast. Half eagle and half lion, these mysterious beasts were proud and noble but less fearsome and savage than the dragons of Alagaesia. Though they shared the land with many other magical races including humans and the occasional dragon, gryphons were still the dominant race there.

The pudgy gryphon hatchlings bounded toward the entrance of the cave, trilling excitedly as they stepped into the sunlight for the first time in their lives. Their watchful mother accompanied them. The little hatchlings were almost identical to one another, covered in grey downy feathers and short tawny fur with black spots. The little hatchlings had spent the first few weeks of their lives confined to the small cave that their family called home. Now they were ready to see the outside world for the first time.

One of the hatchlings scurried around his mother's feet twittering with excitement. "Careful now, Fletcher." Elees chided the rambunctious gryphonling. Like all gryphons, her head, front legs, and wings were like those of a mighty eagle while her back end, hind legs, and tail were like those of a great lion. However, instead of having a tuft of hair on the end of her tail, she had an elegant fan of feathers. Her feathers were a light brown color while her fur was a dark shade of tan. Her eyes were a warm shade of amber. She was a very beautiful and majestic creature who walked proudly with her head held high. Elees led her hatchlings out of the cave and onto a ledge overlooking a lush green valley surrounded by lofty mountains.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" the mother whispered to her sons, nuzzling them both gently with her curved beak. The chick called Fletcher curled up by his mother's feet while his twin brother, Tas, moved closer to the edge, spreading his wings as if he were ready to fly.

"Not so fast, little one!" Elees scolded firmly, picking him up by the nape of the neck and carrying him away from the edge of the cliff, placing him down beside Fletcher.

Tas let out a disappointed squawk as his mother set him down.

The hatchlings were not yet old enough to talk, nor could they communicate telepathically yet. Unlike many other creatures such as dragons, gryphons possessed the ability to speak the language of the two-leggeds. Though they rarely spoke to humans or other two-leggeds, the gryphons preferred using the language of the two-leggeds because it was more complex than their own simple, primitive language. It was also not uncommon for gryphons to bestow human names upon their offspring as was the case of these two hatchlings.

Presently the mother gryphon looked up into the sky at the sound of flapping wings overhead. A male gryphon carrying a dead goat in his talons circled once overhead before landing gently on the ledge next to the mother and hatchlings. He was a handsome creature who stood proud and tall, but there was a gently warmth in about him too. The coloration of his fur and feathers was similar to his mate's, only darker. His eyes were a piercing shade of golden orange.

The male gryphon laid the goat down tore off two strips of meat, holding them in his beak for the hatchlings. The two hatchlings eagerly scampered over to their father and devoured the meat hungrily.

"It is hard to believe that someday they will be grown like us, eh Windstrider?" Elees said to her mate, nuzzling his shoulder.

Windstrider nodded his head. "Yes, and then they'll set out on their own and we'll never hear from them again. We had best enjoy it while we can." There was sadness in his voice as he spoke those words.

As time went on, the hatchlings grew into adolescents. Gone was their fluffy grey downy feathers and black cub spots. They now had dark brown feathers and tawny fur similar to their parents. Like their parents, they had long feathers on the tips of their lion-like tails that aided them in flight. They were proud and noble creatures but they were still young and playful. Fletcher was the dominant of the two brothers, always taking Tas on adventures with him and getting them into trouble. The two brothers were almost inseparable, spending every hour together. One day the two gryphons were soaring through the sky together, exploring new places they had never been before. It was a warm sunny day with blue skies and puffy white cumulus clouds as far as they eye could see.

Fletcher flew with his front legs tucked against his chest and his hind legs trailing behind him as he flew along. His pointy feline-like ears suddenly perked up as he heard music being played somewhere.

Do you hear that, Tas? He said telepathically to his brother.

I sure do! I wonder where it's coming from. his brother answered.

Let's find out! Fletcher said with a mischievous gleam in his golden-amber eyes.

The young gryphon banked sharply to the left, flying toward the north. His brother followed him as they followed the sound along a winding river. Fletcher landed on a ridge and his beak fell open in awe at what he saw below. There stood a great city right next to the ocean. Though they had heard stories about them, neither of the gryphons had ever seen a human settlement before, nor had they ever seen the ocean. The city seemed to span for miles and included high towers, smoking chimneys, and a busy sea port.

"The sound is coming from down there!" Tas declared, watching what appeared to be a festival in the streets below.

"Let's go see what they're doing!" Fletcher exclaimed excitedly, spreading his wings and launching himself into the air. Always the adventurer, Fletcher was curious about these strange people. He had heard of the strange, two-legged beings called humans but he had never seen any before. His parents had warned him that the creatures were dangerous but like any child, the young gryphon let his curiosity get the better of him.

"I'm not sure we should go there, Fletcher." Tas said worriedly.

"Surely you're not afraid!" Fletcher chirped tauntingly.

"Of course not, but Mother and Father will be angry! They told us to stay away from the humans!"

"We're just having a look around, Tas. It's not like we're going to let them see us or anything." Fletcher replied.

He flew low over the city streets, taking in all the strange sights, sounds, and smells around him. He flared his wings and landed silently on a rooftop overlooking the festival. Tas landed beside him, gazing at the people with curiosity.

"Fletcher, look at that!" Tas whispered excitedly.

Fletcher looked in the direction his brother indicated and saw a massive, four-legged reptilian creature with long wings, glittering green scales, and a long, snake-like tail. The young gryphons knew exactly what it was. Everyone had heard the tales of the great dragons from across the sea, and the mighty warriors who rode on their backs. Sure enough, this dragon wore a saddle.

Tas looked at his brother, the corners of his beak drawing up into an unmistakable grin.

"Let's go talk to it!" Tas exclaimed excitedly.

"Now, did you not just bicker at me for wanting to come down here? And now you want us to reveal ourselves?" Fletcher scolded his brother.

"But the Dragon Riders are different! Father says they're our friends!"

Without even waiting for his brother, Tas leaped off the roof and spread his wings, gliding toward the street below. Fletcher rolled his eyes and flew down after him.

"Fool..." he muttered.

The two gryphons landed on the cobblestone street, amidst a crowd of festival goers, drawing a gasp from the crowd at the sudden appearance of the strange creatures.

These are the creatures that our parents said are so dangerous? Fletcher thought to himself as he looked around at the nervous humans. They had no claws, beaks, or other weapons on their bodies and they actually seemed frightened of the gryphons. It puzzled him because Fletcher never considered himself to be very scary. Being an adolescent gryphonling, he was no bigger than a medium dog, as opposed to a fully grown gryphon which could grow to be larger than a horse. Tas began walking toward the dragon as the onlookers scrambled out of his way. His brother followed. As they approached the dragon, a man who was standing next to the dragon turned and looked at them.

The man glanced at the gryphons and then shouted to the crown of nervous onlookers, "Alright, be on your way!  I'll take care of this."

This man was different than the others. He was shorter than the humans around him and had pale skin, raven black hair, sharp facial features, and long pointy ears. He eyes that were as blue as the sky overhead. On his belt was a great sword which matched the green scales of the dragon next to him. The man smiled and walked up to the gryphonlings, shooing away the remaining onlookers with a wave of his hand.

"Hello there, young ones." He said kindly, looking down at them.

Fletcher spoke first, dipping his head respectfully. "Hello, sir. My name is Fletcher and this is my brother, Tas. We just wanted to get a closer look at your dragon."

The elf nodded. "My name is Arion and my dragon is called Cadius. We hail from across the land of Alagaesia across the sea."

Both gryphonlings looked up at the Rider in awe. "Our parents told us the stories about your kind but we have never seen a real Dragon before!" Tas exclaimed.

The dragon lowered his head to the gryphons' level so that his big green eyes were level with theirs. We have heard many things about your kind too, young gryphon.  You are of a great and noble race.

It made Fletcher proud to know that the mighty Dragon Riders respected his race. He sat down on his haunches in front of the Rider.

"Arion?" he asked the Dragon Rider. "Why do the humans fear us?"

Arion knelt down and replied, "Well, humans have this odd tendency to fear that which they do not understand. Some of them think that you are not a person unless you look like them and think like them. Gryphons are a great mystery to many people. There are no gryphons in Alagaesia and most people there do not even know you exist. The only reason we Riders know of your kind is because we have explored all over the world."

The gryphons sat and listened intently as Arion told them tales of the Dragon Riders of the old order before The Fall. The elf seemed to enjoy entertaining them with the stories.  Finally, as the sun hung low in the sky, the elf stood up and said, "Your parents are probably going to start wondering where you are."

Fletcher and Tas did not want to leave but they knew he was right.

"Cadius and I could give you a ride home if you wish." Arion offered.

It is an awful long way back home, Fletcher. Tas said to his brother telepathically.

Fletcher nodded. He knew their father would be angry if they were out past dark so he accepted Arion's offer. Cadius knelt down and the two young gryphons climbed onto his back, seating themselves right behind the saddle and clinging to the dragon's back with their talons. Arion took his seat in the saddle and the great dragon spread his wings.

I suggest you hold on to something, young ones. Cadius warned.

Fletcher and Tas wrapped their talons around one of the dragon's back spikes and held on for dear life. The dragon propelled himself into the air and flew away from the city with breathtaking speed. Fletcher instructed Cadius where to fly. They soared over the snowcapped mountains and high above the thick forests of their valley home. Finally, when they were almost close enough to see where their cave was, Fletcher said to the Rider, "Thank you, sir. It was nice meeting you."

He jumped from the dragon's back, spreading his wings and feeling the wind passing over his feathers as he glided toward home. Tas was right behind them.

"May the stars watch over you, young ones!" Arion shouted after them.

Their cave was located high up the side of a rocky hill. Fletcher landed on the rocky ledge outside the cave first, immediately followed by Tas. The instant they stepped into the cave, their mother confronted him.

"Where have you two been?" she demanded. She sniffed their feathers. "I smell the scent of a dragon on you!"

"Well, we met a Dragon Rider today." Tas explained, conveniently leaving off the part about them venturing into a human city.

"Yes, he told us about the Dragon Riders and gave us a ride home." Fletcher added.

"I see." Their mother said in a tone that said she knew exactly what they had been up to.

Both gryphonlings hung their heads shamefully, knowing they could not fool their mother.

The stern look on Elees's face vanished and was replace by a warm smile.

"Come here, Fletcher." She chuckled, grabbing her son in her talons. She sat down on her haunches and began to preen his feathers and fur despite the gryphonling's protests, removing the dragon scent from his body.

Tas didn't understand why she was preening his brother's feathers. Both he and Fletcher had been grooming themselves for a while now. He found it funny the way Fletcher struggled and squirmed against his mother's attempt to bathe him. As soon as she was done with Fletcher though, she gave Tas the same treatment, cleaning his feathers and fur until no scent remained.

"Now if you two promise to behave yourselves, I might not tell your father what you two were up to."

"Yes, mother." Both siblings said at the same time.

"I saw you riding on that dragon from in here. Now, I do not want either of you going near that city again. You were safe because there was a Dragon Rider there but that will not always be the case. Remember, humans can't be trusted."

"Yes, mother." The two brothers said again.

The mother gryphon suddenly winced in pain, placing one of her front paws against her stomach.

Fletcher cocked his head and asked worriedly, "Is something wrong, Mother?"

"I'm fine, son." She said with barely a whisper.

The three gryphons turned and looked back at the entrance of the cave when they heard the sound of flapping wings approaching. Windstrider had returned with a deer for his family. He looked down at his children as if he knew they had been into mischief but he didn't say a word. He looked at his mate.

What did they do this time, Elees? he asked suspiciously.

They just behaved like young gryphons normally do, flying about getting into mischief. Nothing serious. She replied innocently.

Windstrider laid the deer down and beckoned for Fletcher and Tas to eat.

As the two gryphonlings ate their meal, Elees stood up and nuzzled her mate's shoulder.

The egg will be coming soon. I think there is only one egg. The pain is not as strong as it was last time I was pregnant. She said to her mate with a ragged breath.

Windstrider nuzzled her behind the ear and said comfortingly, Do not worry, my love. It will be just like last time.

Elees hummed happily as her mate comforted her. As soon as Fletcher and Tas had eaten their fill, their parents finished off what was left. The sun had gone down and the sounds of the night could be heard outside. Elees curled up on the floor of the cave with her two sons tucked under one wing. Windstrider laid down beside her and laid his head across her neck.

Sleep well, my angel. He said to Elees. Soon all was quiet.

To be continued…

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ok, I actually forgot I had posted this tory on here.  Anyway, here is chapter 2.

Chapter 2: Grown Up

Elees sat on the floor of the cave preening the newborn hatchling's plumage. As she had expected, she had laid only a single egg which hatched shortly after. The newborn hatchling was a little female. Fletcher and Tas moved in closer to get a better look at their new sibling. Like all hatchlings, she had grey downy feathers and yellow fur with black cub spots. Her eyes were a bright shade of orange.

Elees finished grooming the little hatchling and beckoned her mate to bring a small piece of meat over. Windstrider quickly hurried over with a shred of meat from a recent kill for the hatchling. After feeding the tiny gryphonling, Windstrider stood there looking at his daughter with pride.

"What shall we name her?" he asked.

Elees paused, thinking it over. She had come up with several possible names before the egg hatched and now that she knew they had a girl, she began mulling over the possibilities in her head. Finally she came up with a name she liked.

"Let's name her Mirriana. We can call her Mir for short." Elees suggested.

Windstrider gave a nod of approval.  "I like it." he said, nuzzling his daughter with his beak.

As another year went by, Mirriana grew from a pudgy hatchling into a juvenile nestling. Though she was not big enough to fly, she had begun to learn how to talk. Her downy plumage and cub spots had gone and she now had dark brown feathers, darker than either of her brothers, but her fur was much lighter than theirs, like her mother. She still had the pudgy appearance, stubby beak, and short feathers of a hatchling though. Fletcher had became attached to his new sibling almost immediately. Mirriana seemed to idolize him and always wanted to be with him. Fletcher, meanwhile, had grown into a handsome adult. Soon he would head out on his own in search of a mate and start his own family. He was sleek and muscular with long elegant feathers, and long sharp talons and hind claws. He still had the same gentle eyes he had as a gryphonling though. Fletcher had begun to spend great deals of time with Mirriana and he suspected Tas had become jealous. Still, the young gryphon was at the stage in his life that he no longer took interest in childish games.  He played with Mirriana because she looked to him as a role model, and as her brother, he had a responsibility to help raise her.

One warm summer afternoon, Fletcher found himself lounging on the forest floor beneath the shade of the trees. The gryphon was lying on his back, his wings spread out beside him. Mirriana sat curled up on his chest, looking at him with those bright orange eyes. Fletcher twirled one of his talons over her head and hummed affectionately as she batted at it.

"I love you, Fletch!" Mirriana said. "Fletch" was her nickname for him. She was always so innocent and carefree. Fletcher remembered a time when he was like that and sometimes he missed those days.

Fletcher let out a warm chuckle. "And I love you too, Mir." He nuzzled her cheek with the tip of his beak. He heard the clicking sound of talons on the ground and turned his head to see his brother standing over him.

"Why don't you ever spend time with me anymore?" Tas asked. "All you ever do is spend time with her now!"

Fletcher sighed. He didn't understand why his brother was so jealous.

"Tas, we are no longer hatchlings. We have to help care for our sister just as our parents do." Fletcher explained. He did not want to have this argument right in front of his baby sister.

"Mir, why don't you run along home? Tas and I need to talk."

"Can we play later then, Fletch?"

"Yes, we can play later, Mir." He promised.

Fletcher watched as the nestling scurried back toward the cave.

"Tas, I know you miss the old days but those days are over. We are grown adults now. Soon it will be time for us to strike out on our own."

"I just feel so alone now." Tas said hanging his head sadly.

"Tas, I will always be here for you as I always have been before." Fletcher said reassuringly to his brother. "I just want to spend as much time with my sister as I can before I head out."

Tas sighed. He knew Fletcher was right but he still couldn't help shake the feeling of loneliness he felt since his brother never spent time with him anymore.

Fletcher suddenly had an idea. "Perhaps you and I can go hunting together." He suggested.

Tas's expression changed and he smiled at his brother.

"I'll take that as a 'yes' then." Fletcher said. He spread his wings and launched himself into the air climbing to just above the tree tops. Tas joined him.

What do you think we will find? Tas asked his brother mentally.

A deer I hope. Between you and me I doubt a goat would be enough to fill us up. Fletcher answered, scanning the land below with his keen eyes.

They flew onward in search of prey for about half an hour. Few animals were active this time of the day but there was bound to be something out somewhere. Finally Fletcher spotted something; a lone doe in a forest clearing ahead. Tas saw it too. Fletcher climbed higher into the air and leveled out, silently gliding over the deer. The gryphon rolled over and went into a steep dive, homing in on his target like a guided missile. Tas followed suit. Just before reaching the deer, Fletcher leveled out and landed next to where the deer was standing. Spooked by the sudden appearance of the predator, the animal bolted madly toward the woods.

Tas screeched angrily and hissed, What did you do that for? You could have taken it!

I know, but this makes the chase more interesting! Fletcher answered, taking off after his brother.

Tas chased the doe from the air, easily matching its speed. He angled himself downward and grabbed the deer with his front talons, wrestling it to the ground. Tas was careful to avoid its kicking legs as he clamped his beak shut on the deer's throat, breaking its neck and killing it instantly. Fletcher touched down and folded his wings, eying the deer hungrily.

Tas puffed his chest and flapped his wings in protest. "I caught it so I'm going to be the first one to eat!" he said sternly.

Tas ate quickly until he was full and then stood aside, leaving the rest for his brother to finish up.

Fletcher gladly ate his fill. When he could eat no more, Fletcher took off into the blue sky, heading for home.  There were many thoughts on the young gryphon's mind.  He felt he was ready to head off into the world on his own.  Leaving his parents and the only home he had ever known was difficult and sad but it was something every adult gryphon had to go through.

That night, the young gryphon approached his parents as they sat watching the stars.

"Mother? Father? We need to talk."

Windstrider and Elees turned their attention to their son.

"I think the time has come for me to head out on my own." Fletcher said flatly.

Windstrider and Elees looked at one another solemnly. They both knew this day would come sooner or later.

Elees said telepathically to her mate, It's time then.

Windstrider nodded to her and stood up and walked up to his son, a look of both sadness and pride in his eyes. His son had grown up…

"Fletcher…" he said in the quietest tone the young gryphon had ever heard his father speak. "Your mother and I are so proud of you. It saddens me to see you leave but at the same time we are happy to see you complete your journey to adulthood."

Elees joined her mate and said to her son, "We will always love you, Fletcher."

Elees walked to the back of the cave, leaving Fletcher and his father alone. Windstrider sat down on his haunches at the entrance of the cave and curled his tail around his feet. Fletcher followed suit, sitting next to his father.

"Fletcher, I plan to tell your brother and your sister the same thing I am about to tell you." Windstrider explained, still looking out at the starry sky. "When you go out into the world, you will find that life is not always easy. Your mother and I have protected you and cared for you as best we could. We have done everything we can to prepare you for what lies ahead. Now you are on your own. There will be hardships you face in life. Not everyone you meet will be kind or generous. However, I believe in you and I have confidence that you can face whatever the world has to throw at you."

"Thank you, Father." Fletcher said quietly, feeling a lump in his throat. He was nervous and sad to leave his parents but there was nothing more he could learn from them. Still, he felt that he was ready.

"When do you plan to leave?" Windstrider asked.

"In the morning. I want to spend tonight with Tas and Mir." Fletcher replied, heading toward the back of the cave where his siblings slept.

His mother nuzzled him as he walked past her. "No matter where you go, you have our blessing." She whispered.

Fletcher smiled. "I will always love you, mother."

The gryphon padded to the back of the cave and lied down next to Tas who was sound asleep and Mir who was lying on her back, her wings outstretched beside her, also asleep. Fletcher hummed softly as he lowered one wing over his brother and the other over his sister and then closed his eyes, knowing that this would probably be the last night they ever spent together.

To be continued…

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I guess I'm not gonna bother posting the rest of this one either.  I don't know if people just find it boring or what.  I mean, I wouldn't know because nobody ever bothers to leave any feedback.